IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Finished Manifold Garden, it was excellent, I just wish it had been longer. I loved the sense of wonder as you explore and figure out the rules of the world, it reminded me of NaissanceE in that way, how it embraces abstraction and presents environments you have no context for understanding at first glance. Really nice music too.

Also beat The Pedestrian, another great puzzle game. 2d platforming on street signs embedded in a 3d environment. Very clever design and some nice lateral thinking moments.

Just now, Braintree said:

I'm playing it on xbox and some battles are almost unmanageable. My controller is also kicking the bucket, so that's part of it. There have been several times where I thought it would have been far easier if I were playing on a PC.

The weapon leveling system and the weapon system itself is pretty lopsided. The super shotgun and the rocket launcher shouldn't be comparable at all. I'm watching this guy play through the game (just to see how hard a time other people have had it) and he sometimes kills shit way faster when I'm doing the exact same shit.

The fact that the BFG doesn't kill a marauder is fucking dumb and makes me just want to change the difficulty to easy and play like I'm a god. Just to get it over with. I'm bored with it now.

Yeah and the fact that the Unmaykr (an obvious cornball respelling of the Doom 64 original) uses the same ammo as the BFG but is only really viable against bosses. And the game makes you go through all those Slayer challenges to unlock it.

Plus your limit on shotgun shells is ranges from 16 to 24 depending on upgrades. Dumb. And that's not to mention all the shoehorned grenade-chainsaw-blood punch combos you're forced to use just to replenish health, armor, & ammo.

Doom 2016 is better. Idgaf what all the edge-lord "hardcore" Doom fans think.

• Like 1

Finally finished LoZ: A Link to the Past on Switch although I cheated a ton with the rewind functionality. I've started the game maybe 5 times in the past and decided to finally play it through.

I really started playing Zeldas beginning from Wind Waker and I've pretty much finished them all after that except for Skyward Sword and the GBA games. Maybe I'll get the Skyward Sword HD when it comes out later this year and finally do that. Well, at least if this fucking pandemic keeps on going.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 12:16 PM, Silent Member said:

Been playing Control, it's pretty cool, although a bit repetitive/grindy, maybe I just suck at it. 

Played call of the sea, it's all right I guess, perfect game pass game, not sure if I'd buy it to play it. Probably not. It's a bit underwhelming tbh.

Loving a plague tale.

Really digging carrion.

Having fun with Dishonored 2.

Game pass is spoiling me, I'll probably never do anything creative ever again. Thanks, Microsoft

Been playing it too - has an interesting vibe and good sound design. Curious now how it ends up (although somewhat predictable from what I can tell so far)

On 2/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Berk said:

Not really clicking with me that one. I have been spending too much time in offices in my life already I guess lol. /traumatized

That's actually one thing I really like about Control - the amazing architecture of the building you're in...

Ghosts N' Goblins and 1943 are free on Capcom Arcade on Switch today...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zkom said:

Finally finished LoZ: A Link to the Past on Switch although I cheated a ton with the rewind functionality. I've started the game maybe 5 times in the past and decided to finally play it through.

I really started playing Zeldas beginning from Wind Waker and I've pretty much finished them all after that except for Skyward Sword and the GBA games. Maybe I'll get the Skyward Sword HD when it comes out later this year and finally do that. Well, at least if this fucking pandemic keeps on going.

So you can play SNES games on Switch then. I've been wondering about that. Because if you can play games on it from any Nintendo platform pre-Game Cube, then I'll consider buying a Switch for that aspect alone.

33 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

So you can play SNES games on Switch then. I've been wondering about that. Because if you can play games on it from any Nintendo platform pre-Game Cube, then I'll consider buying a Switch for that aspect alone.

Only so many games.

NES

• Adventures of Lolo
  • Balloon Fight
  • Baseball
  • Blaster Master (+ SP version)
  • City Connection
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Crystalis
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario (+ SP version)
  • Eliminator Boat Duel
  • Excitebike
  • Fire 'n Ice (available from 17 February 2021)
  • Ghosts'n Goblins (+ SP version)
  • Gradius (+ SP version)
  • Ice Climber
  • Ice Hockey
  • Journey to Silius
  • Kid Icarus (+ SP version)
  • Kirby's Adventure (+ SP version)
  • Kung-Fu Heroes
  • Mario Bros.
  • Metroid (+ SP version)
  • Mighty Bomb Jack (+ SP version)
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Nightshade
  • Ninja Gaiden (+ SP version)
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Punch-Out!!
  • River City Ransom
  • Rygar
  • S.C.A.T.: Special Cybernetic Attack Team
  • Shadow of the Ninja
  • Soccer
  • Solomon's Key
  • Star Soldier (+ SP version)
  • Star Tropics
  • Super Dodge Ball
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Tennis
  • The Immortal
  • The Legend of Zelda (+ SP version)
  • TwinBee (+ SP version)
  • Vice: Project Doom
  • Volleyball
  • Vs. Excitebike
  • Wario's Woods
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Yoshi
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (+ SP version)

SNES

• Brawl Brothers
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Demon's Crest
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
  • Doomsday Warrior (available from 17 February 2021)
  • F-Zero
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • Operation Logic Bomb
  • Mario's Super Picross
  • Natsume Championship Wrestling
  • Panel de Pon
  • Pilotwings
  • Pop'n Twinbee
  • Preshistorik Man (available from 17 February 2021)
  • Psycho Dream (available from 17 February 2021)
  • Smash Tennis
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Super E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Tennis
  • Super Valis IV
  • The Ignition Factor
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Peace Keepers
  • Tuff E Nuff
  • Wild Guns

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ambermonke said:

It's a subscription based system. ~4USD/month - ~20USD/year. With that you can play all the games above and also some Switch originals.

Some of the emulated games also have Switch specific versions and the rewind system is really handy in some of the old games that are ridiculously hard by modern standards.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Has anyone tried the leaked remake of GoldenEye 007 for the Xbox 360?

Yeah, got this up and running in like 10 minutes (Xenia emulator, download the files from Archive.org, open the file. that's it). I only played a little bit of the Dam level, but enough to be like, yes, this is everything I"d hoped for a remaster. It looks the way my nostalgia glasses remember it (i.e., it looks better than it was, but like it seems like it should have been) and the controls are on point (played with a wireless Xbox One S controller). Some hitches playing on a gaming laptop, clearly some final bugs that could be squashed, but 99% perfect. 

Haven't revisited only b/c a)time b)it's hard knowing that multiplayer is a hypothetical option but not yet working (people w/ modded Xbox 360's can play via Xlink, but xenia doesn't support netplay). The fact that we are all, like, just one last step to being able to replicate, remotely, the experience of 4 player splitscreen at home is maddening. ... 

23 hours ago, yekker said:

Only so many games.

NES

• Adventures of Lolo
  • Balloon Fight
  • Baseball
  • Blaster Master (+ SP version)
  • City Connection
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Crystalis
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario (+ SP version)
  • Eliminator Boat Duel
  • Excitebike
  • Fire 'n Ice (available from 17 February 2021)
  • Ghosts'n Goblins (+ SP version)
  • Gradius (+ SP version)
  • Ice Climber
  • Ice Hockey
  • Journey to Silius
  • Kid Icarus (+ SP version)
  • Kirby's Adventure (+ SP version)
  • Kung-Fu Heroes
  • Mario Bros.
  • Metroid (+ SP version)
  • Mighty Bomb Jack (+ SP version)
  • NES Open Tournament Golf
  • Nightshade
  • Ninja Gaiden (+ SP version)
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Punch-Out!!
  • River City Ransom
  • Rygar
  • S.C.A.T.: Special Cybernetic Attack Team
  • Shadow of the Ninja
  • Soccer
  • Solomon's Key
  • Star Soldier (+ SP version)
  • Star Tropics
  • Super Dodge Ball
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Tennis
  • The Immortal
  • The Legend of Zelda (+ SP version)
  • TwinBee (+ SP version)
  • Vice: Project Doom
  • Volleyball
  • Vs. Excitebike
  • Wario's Woods
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Yoshi
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (+ SP version)

SNES

• Brawl Brothers
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Demon's Crest
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
  • Doomsday Warrior (available from 17 February 2021)
  • F-Zero
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • Operation Logic Bomb
  • Mario's Super Picross
  • Natsume Championship Wrestling
  • Panel de Pon
  • Pilotwings
  • Pop'n Twinbee
  • Preshistorik Man (available from 17 February 2021)
  • Psycho Dream (available from 17 February 2021)
  • Smash Tennis
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Super E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Tennis
  • Super Valis IV
  • The Ignition Factor
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Peace Keepers
  • Tuff E Nuff
  • Wild Guns

Where the fuck is Earthbound already 

8 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Are any of the Mother games available on Switch?

Great question and honestly I have no idea... I wasn’t following the thread and just saw “earthbound” and replied impulsively ?. One of the best series of all time I hope it’s avail on the switch for y’all 

I 100 percented Bowser's Fury. Two days worth of playing. Still is a good game though a tad short but who said all games should be long, right? Not super difficult but I had some frustrated moments. Was cool to play a mario game that was open world. Will be interesting to see if nintendo  releases the next mario game in this style and if they can one up it.

• Like 1

Swine may not have the dextrous fingers of a primate or the doleful look of a puppy dog, but, cognitively, they are firmly in competition. Winston Churchill once said that “Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you. Give me a pig! He looks you in the eye and treats you as an equal.” It’s well past time we give pigs the respect they’re due.

Video Game-Playing Pigs Stretch Our Concepts of Animal Intelligence (Gizmodo)

• Like 2

I keep coming back to dirt rally 2.0. Very challenging to get into, took me awhile to get through a stage without going off the track. I still stuck, but having a good run is super rewarding. Game looks mighty fine on pc too.

I tried Cuphead. Unbelievably difficult. Took me dozens of tries to beat the first boss on simple, and then they told me you don't get credit unless you beat it on regular. I am just terrible at platformers. Art style is amazing though.

• Like 1

wowsers 30 years

You wake up. The room is spinning very gently around your head. Or at least it would be if you could see it which you can't.

It is pitch black.

>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-game-30th-anniversary-edition

Edited by iococoi

playing through fallout 4 (meh) and little nightmares 2 (brilliant) at the moment.

i also have a ps5 arriving this week. wanted to order one in time for the new resi. anything i should check out in the mean time? there seems to be fuck all out for it right now.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, ambermonke said:

Keep in mind though, so far it's only NES/SNES - no N64, no GameCube or Wii/Wii U and Nintendo is providing these for play; you do not download these to your system and requires a Nintendo Online subscription to play them. The positive aspect is you don't pay extra for them (beyond the NO subscription).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

playing through fallout 4 (meh) and little nightmares 2 (brilliant) at the moment.

i also have a ps5 arriving this week. wanted to order one in time for the new resi. anything i should check out in the mean time? there seems to be fuck all out for it right now.

Many PS4 games have free upgrades that put them at 4K/60 or higher, and the PS Plus Collection for PS5 has some of the best PS4 games available if you have a PSN subscription.

As for dedicated PS5 games... yes, things are a bit slim - Spider Man: Miles Morales is excellent as is the Demon's Souls remake on PS5.

• Like 1