IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

lmao Cookie Clicker is being released on Steam. I've been idling in the browser version of this curse of a game for the last 5 years.

4 hours ago, usagi said:

Black Mesa is brilliant.

It is, especially from the Xen chapter to the end. Basically a complete overhaul while pushing the Source engine to its limit at the same time.

4 hours ago, chronical said:

Been playing Disco Elysium, it's great. I think you guys would like it. Hearing your conceptualization, reptile brain, empathy, etc. talk blows my mind

My cousin speaks highly of it, and I've heard only positive reviews so far. But I still have like 20 untouched games in my Steam library..

On 8/10/2021 at 3:46 PM, Joyrex said:

Really? I find them very precise, and I guess the effects don't affect (ha) me during gameplay except for times when everything turns white during a transition (like on the space station level)

I guess PS4 will get the Tetris Effect Connected update the same day it hits Switch?

On 8/12/2021 at 12:39 AM, ambermonke said:
On 8/11/2021 at 7:10 PM, usagi said:

Black Mesa is brilliant.

It is, especially from the Xen chapter to the end. Basically a complete overhaul while pushing the Source engine to its limit at the same time.

ok, I have to say... I appreciate all the work that's gone into this but they really messed up the pacing. the Xen parts go on for way too long and the Gonarch's Lair chapter is mad annoying with all the detours and distractions. I don't remember this being such a drag in vanilla HL. the whole game is too long.

dude... I hate this lol. I have been trying to get through this shit practically all day while I recover from my 1st covid jab. my opinion of the game has changed because of the Xen levels. they look great but play badly. the whole Gonarch chapter was like pulling teeth, a long slog with a final battle that was neither fun or satisfying. and there are so many annoying issues - the longjump doesn't work at all when running uphill, the environment design makes HL's pre-existing collision/bouncing annoyances even worse, and the idiotic music! why didn't anyone point out how wrong it feels to have corny vocal samples in HL soundtrack music? all these things coalesce into a shit pie in the run-up to the final Gonarch battle with that stupid fire running business, wtf lol. not even the HL fanboy in me could take it.

for what my 2 cents are worth, I never had an issue with the original Xen levels unlike the many complaints I've seen, and it baffles me that this is praised for redesigning them the way it has. imo this is a case study in why professional dev teams who playtest/refine and understanding pacing will ultimately produce a better product. if I had to rate this I couldn't give it more than 5/10, maybe 6 tops. it was doing really well up to the point where it was just an HD update of the original game, but when it started making changes and trying to be something else it fell over.

34 minutes ago, usagi said:

and there are so many annoying issues - the longjump doesn't work at all when running uphill

That's likely more to do with the more realistic physics in the game. If it actually existed in real life, and you used the longjump module whilst trying to run up a hill, they'd probably be picking out bits of your skull from the uphill incline.

that would make sense, but the rules aren't internally consistent because it is still possible in places to climb up ledges by spamming longjump. game doesn't seem to have a problem with you using forward momentum and slamming into a wall to let you climb up it. at any rate I can't recall this being such an annoying problem in the original game. prob cos there weren't as many new set pieces where you had to run like a cunt for extended periods and kept spamming longjump only for it to not work.

anyway I just finished it. final fight was cool, if a bit messy.

So it looks like HL2 Steam activity set a new record today: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-14-half-life-2-community-challenge-achieves-highest-concurrent-player-count-since-records-began

Also decided to check MMOD for the first time, which gives the weapons a nice audio & visual overhaul with new animations. You can even rip turrets off of mounted gun placements now and use them as portable Combine MGs. Dunno why I didn't try this mod earlier.

Edited by ambermonke

I beat Hitman 3. It was pretty fun.

There was a sale at Gamestop, and I had a bunch of credit, so I bought Returnal and Skyward Sword. I started Returnal. I love it so far. I'm getting destroyed, but I love the vibe and the visuals. It definitely feels like a PS5 game. I hope I get good enough to beat it.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, oscillik said:

@Joyrex you are just plain wrong — the Atari VCS has been immensely popular…

new CEO plans on taking atari to the next level according to this insider conference for investors

Edited by Nebraska

4 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

They are remastering Quake

it's great I guess, probably they gonna measure if a reboot is feasible

THEY BETTER DON'T MASSACRE MY BOY!!!

:orly:

Looks square-ish

Just so happens that the Project Warlock II demo is now available as well

I'm eager to try it out, but I'm nearing the end of my HL2 (MMOD) run. Would like to finish that first.

That Ghost of Tsushima expansion is pretty great.  Longer than most people were suggesting, as well, imo.  The main thing I wasn't really into was the

Spoiler

intrusive 'Arkham' style hallucinations.  In Arkham, it was a special section, but here it's everywhere and gets annoying in a hurry. 

Otherwise it's very worth getting if you enjoyed the main game.