What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 6/14/2021 at 11:46 PM, ambermonke said:

So hyped for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. Already pre-ordered.

I didn’t even know this was in the works, wow. Is it the OG team developing it as well?

Iirc most of them moved on to develop the metro series.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

On 6/13/2021 at 2:53 PM, MaartenVC said:

Trailer for The Outer Worlds 2. Lollers.

My m8 just sent me this. Hands down the best, most honest E3 trailer I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

I finished the Lost Levels with tons of rewinding and save scumming. I hated the fucking game but couldn't stop playing because it's just so mind-bogglingly evil that it's actually interesting to play. At places it's more like a puzzle game where you have to figure out the exact correct way to run and jump in synch with all the shit that is popping out, flying around and crawling.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:55 AM, zkom said:

Has anyone else here played the original Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 also known outside Japan as the Lost Levels? Holy fuck it's brutal. It's not just difficult, it's evil. There are warp zones that take you back, all sorts of sudden unexpected death traps, invisible blocks you need to find to progress, you need to be a small Mario in order to finish one of the levels and the only new power up is a mushroom that will kill you and it appears right at the beginning of the first level. 💀

Yep, loved it, even though I think Nintendo made the right call and turned Doki Doki Panic into SMB 2 USA, which still stands as my favourite Mario game.

26 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

this looks cool, but after the last one not sure i'd get it. will wait another 10 years+ for the (hopefully) re-release of the gameboy

This (and the SMB one) are just nostalgic collectors items or good gifts for people. The SMB one is easy to find and is on sale for 10 bucks off almost everywhere. Once the unsold stock gets depleted, it might rise in value for Mario's 50th anniversary.

9 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I didn’t even know this was in the works, wow. Is it the OG team developing it as well?

Iirc most of them moved on to develop the metro series.

Yep, GSC Game World. Says right on the Steam page.

Wouldn't surprise me if some members went to work on Metro. How many of the original team return and how many newcomers there are this time around, I have no clue. But judging by the gameplay it looks true to the original, with an obvious engine upgrade.

4 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Yep, GSC Game World. Says right on the Steam page.

Wouldn't surprise me if some members went to work on Metro. How many of the original team return and how many newcomers there are this time around, I have no clue. But judging by the gameplay it looks true to the original, with an obvious engine upgrade.

I'm joining team hype!

• Like 1

Started a new Half-Life: Alyx playthrough for the first time in almost a year. Got about 2.5 hrs in before my right VR controller started crapping out for some reason. Battery charge was fine, so idk what the hell happened.

Still a solid game though.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:08 AM, usagi said:

fuck yeah, Staukirr 2 and Dildo Ring.

on a related topic: who here has built a new pc in the last 12 months? or is considering it? my current one is going on 8 years old now and while it still does the things I want with ease, it's obviously not going to stack up against current and next-gen titles when I look to get into them. now is an exceptionally bad time to build a new pc what with the chip shortage, production problems, distribution problems etc. causing video cards that would normally be in affordable range to rocket into the thousands of dollars, if you can even get your hands on one.

will this situation revert to the pre-covid state or is this the new normal? Nvidia has said the shortage is expected to continue for the rest of this year at least. I'm wondering, is it going to be permanently more costly and troublesome to build a new pc going forward?

Prices of Graphic Cards are going down again.
Mostly because China is cracking-down hard on bitcoin.
Sources:
https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3138130/bitcoin-crackdown-sends-graphics-cards-prices-plummeting-china-after
http://www.pbc.gov.cn/goutongjiaoliu/113456/113469/4273265/index.html

19 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

if only the effect in the rest of the world was just as immediate. I would get this card straight away now that it's in stock except it's still over 4 times the price it should be.

- IOS on MacBook ("I'm not a Robot, I'm not a Robot! That's why I make you solve captchas, stupid human! *cries in operating system*")

- Android on Samsung Galaxy S7 "edge" ("I don't have any edges, my name doesn't fit me, who am I? *cries in Android*")

- YouTube on either ("I'm gonna pretend I'm a static prerecorded video, I'm gonna pretend I'm not a hyper-intelligence manifesting as a picture on a screen *laughs in hyper-intelligence*")

- 3D Realm™ on Human Body Vision ("I'm gonna pretend I'm a biological function of a human taking place in the human brain, while I'm actually a dream reality")

I started playing Blood Dragon for the first time after having it sit there in my library for over six years. it fucking rocks.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Anyone planning on getting the new Aliens shooter? 

10185613-EF50-442E-8E80-C13628E4E13C.jpeg

Possibly...possibly. Looks cool. Plus this one isn't touched by Gearbox so we know Randy Bitchford can't make it cringey.

I got one chapter left to go in Doom 2016 (playing on UV). Will probably finish before lunch. Not a fan of Doom Eternal tho b/c it's overcaffeinated edgelord shit, not to mention a plot salad.

Might finish HL: Alyx today too. Feels like I'm getting the hang of it better compared to last year. Get enough ginger in your system and smooth motion isn't really a problem. Just finished the Jeff chapter - only got killed once. Also just found out that a former Capcom employee now working for Valve was responsible for his design, which actually makes a lot of sense.

And speaking of VR I just purchased Into The Radius which was on sale. Appears to be VR S.T.A.L.K.E.R. basically, so I said "fucc yeah, I'm in."

EDIT: Just completed HL: Alyx once again. Watching the credits to the very end is a reminder that HL3 is still probable.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 1

Steam community mods are absolutely worthless human beings. I learned today exactly how pointless it is trying to enforce any sort of principle or good practice on the platform, which in its moderation/content control aspect is far shittier than any of the social media platforms.

today, someone attempted to scam me and hijack my account by impersonating a mod. first time I've experienced this in my 16 years on Steam. they tried this roundabout bullshit process that relied on instilling fear in you about your account being suspended, which immediately raised red flags. I played along for a bit and took screenshots of everything, then told the guy to fuck off and reported the profile he used to contact me. I then posted the whole story with evidence in the general community forum, thinking naively that someone should know and do something about this, particularly since it was a real mod being impersonated and the methods the scammer had used could reasonably convince more vulnerable people of his false identity. not only did nobody give a shit about what I posted, but I got flak for bringing it up since it apparently happens all the time and all the real mods have scammer doppelgangers running around with impunity. apparently I should have known this already. the cherry on top: I posted a direct link to the scammer's profile and said to watch out for him, and I got a warning for identifying him individually. lol. his profile's still active.

I wish I could push a button and wholesale annihilate the gaming community while still being able to play video games.

• Facepalm 1