IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

It's kind of trippy in psvr, but the music is ultimate cheese so I ended up never playing it.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

I remember from the Autechre AMA that they couldn't say anything due to NDAs.  My guess is they were to provide an OST and Nintendo stepped in and went another direction, but that's pure speculation.  Maybe they did some sound effects as well?  So far Metroid Dread is definitely a Metroid game.  Although my favorite Metroid game in recent memory is almost certainly Returnal.  

Yeah I would guess sound FX, like Mike Patton and others have done on games

22 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Metroid Dread is getting some really good reviews.
Nice ?

metroid-dread.original.jpg

It has kind of an Alien Isolation vibe, constantly being stalked by a predator. The 2 new Amiibos give you a permanent extra health or missile tank, any old Metroid Amiibo will refill your health or missiles once per day.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 12:45 PM, MaartenVC said:

Metroid Dread is getting some really good reviews.
Nice ?

metroid-dread.original.jpg

And rightfully so. I think I've only put in about two hours so far. But this is it - the big return of the Metroid IP. 

It's not only a faithful return to the OG Metroid games, but an overhaul. New planet, new abilities, movement is ultra smooth, and now you can free aim as well as use melee attacks + parry. Also for anyone who's played Fusion and are familiar with the SA-X, well...say hello to the E.M.M.I.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 4

Finished Metroid Dread, and wound up getting 100 percent of the items.  It's pretty great, and probably my 3rd favorite Metroid after Super and Prime 1.  The controls and movement were excellent, although it took time to get used to all the buttons and powers.  Boss fights felt impossible at points, but after awhile the patterns felt do-able.  

• Like 4

Finally started Death Stranding, if I had known this had cosmic horror elements I would've started years ago, but at least now I get to enjoy the updated PS5 graphics. Lush, awesome and some silly silly Kojima stuff.

The ultimate Icelandic landscape QWOP mailman fever dream delivery simulator.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 4

finally played through Mass Effect 3, finishing the trilogy almost a decade after it actually ended. some feels were had. this one really ramped up the emotional investment in your squadmates. the original ME series is something I would occasionally dip into between like 4-5 years at a time and thus forget how much I enjoyed it. the Legendary Edition remaster looks pretty good so I'll probably end up revisiting this in another 4-5 years. still not inclined to go near Andromeda.

• Like 3

Finally cleared Metroid Dread, after 15+ hours. Solid game, but at the same time I'm damn glad to be done with it. My left hand was aching so bad at the very end I literally had to pause the game just to rest it for a few seconds.

Looks like Hard Mode is unlocked now as well. Hahahaha no thank you.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, usagi said:

finally played through Mass Effect 3, finishing the trilogy almost a decade after it actually ended. some feels were had. this one really ramped up the emotional investment in your squadmates. the original ME series is something I would occasionally dip into between like 4-5 years at a time and thus forget how much I enjoyed it. the Legendary Edition remaster looks pretty good so I'll probably end up revisiting this in another 4-5 years. still not inclined to go near Andromeda.

They fucked up so badly with the soundtrack.
"Remember that awesome 70s sci-fi soundtrack we had in ME1 and 2? Let's get Clint Marsell to fuck the whole thing up".
"Who? What?"
"Exactly!"
"Excellent."

On 10/15/2021 at 7:26 AM, Silent Member said:

Finally started Death Stranding, if I had known this had cosmic horror elements I would've started years ago, but at least now I get to enjoy the updated PS5 graphics. Lush, awesome and some silly silly Kojima stuff.

The ultimate Icelandic landscape QWOP mailman fever dream delivery simulator.

Cheers - this post reminded to re-investigate the game (was on Xbox so long I tended to willfully overlook Sony exclusives). Kind of grateful, as the megalushness is pretty mindblowing on the PS5, plus the Dualsense stuff just... feels next-gen. 

Not too far in but really digging the aesthetic/artistic vision thusfar (though, glad I read ahead a little and was prepared for up front gaggles of cut-scenes and a meditatively slow pace). Feels like Sigur Ros should have been asked to do the soundtrack tho amirite? 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Although my favorite Metroid game in recent memory is almost certainly Returnal.

Nice!

16 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Finally cleared Metroid Dread, after 15+ hours. Solid game, but at the same time I'm damn glad to be done with it. My left hand was aching so bad at the very end I literally had to pause the game just to rest it for a few seconds.

Pro Controller?

On 10/14/2021 at 1:00 PM, YELLOW said:

I'm kicking myself for selling my Switch last year when I really wasn't using it because I'm dying to play Metroid Dread, it looks awesome

Emulators.... You can run a Switch emulator on as little as an i5 and a 1060 GTX...

17 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Would be nice if you could use the d-pad instead of the thumbstick for movement. That’s about the only gripe I have with the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enthusiast said:

Would be nice if you could use the d-pad instead of the thumbstick for movement. That’s about the only gripe I have with the game.

Big time agree, and especially for the shine spark sections.  Running into a crouch doesn't feel like it's meant to be done with the analog stick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Squee said:

They fucked up so badly with the soundtrack.
"Remember that awesome 70s sci-fi soundtrack we had in ME1 and 2? Let's get Clint Marsell to fuck the whole thing up".
"Who? What?"
"Exactly!"
"Excellent."

it still had some of those bits. but yeah, I gather they went for a mixed approach this time. it's been long enough since I played the first two games that I don't have a good reference anymore. as for the emotive/piano bits in the final scenes, particularly in the memorial scene where they're putting the name on the wall, I thought those were slightly corny but mostly effective (kind of a hallmark of the series).

what I said before about the emotionally compelling parts of Pyre (friendship/companions etc) was in full force here. throwing the party before the final events heightened that.

• Like 1

on a separate note, what the fuck is up with Windows 10 and game performance? I only recently made the leap to Win10 after sticking with Win7 years past its use-by date and now there's all sorts of fps problems with smaller indie titles that really should not be a drain in terms of gpu processing at all. Mini Motorways runs at literal slideshow rates of 1-5fps and that is a potato-level game that takes up all of 200MB on your hard drive. wtf? I do have older hardware but even so it shouldn't be this bad/inconsistent. ME3 was rock solid at 60fps throughout, by comparison.

I read about the fixes involving disabling all the Xbox live capture bullshit kludged into the system and about this supposed update fix, but after screwing around for 4-5 hours trying to force that update to install properly, it resulted in no change. meh. at this rate I will be paying extortionate prices for a new build soon.

Edited by usagi

Tried to get into Ghost of Tsushima as a mate lent me the PS4 disc. Just not feeling it for some reason. It looks amazing etc but the combat is frustrating me. Probably because I’m not very good at it ? 

So I went for Diablo 2 resurrection instead. Never played the original so this was my first experience of it. It’s ace!! I also don’t ever pick the Mage characters in games as I usually think some other character looks cooler etc but I deliberately went for one this time. I went for the necromancer, so it’s more of a dirty wizard really. Great fun. I finished it on normal so having another play though on nightmare and might even use another class depending how I get on.

4 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Hmmm. Well, now that I have a Switch..

Smash is the one thing that never gets boring for me. If you haven't bought Ultimate I can't recommend it enough, except for its shoddy netcode. Been trying out Sora the past few days and it got me hooked again :whistling:

• Like 2