What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

2 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Played the latest Smash Bros with my nephew last weekend, never played a Smash before and it was like the game equivalent of this:

Just a mass of explosions and seemingly random percentage bars and flashing things and noises. Clearly getting waaayyyy too old.

That was the same in the 90s though :duckhunt:

• Haha 1

had the pleasue of being able to play dread at a friend's who owns a switch this week, easily the best entry in the series since fusion, yo. atmosphere not quite up there with super (then again, what is?), but the level design and gameplay are all top notch.

somewhat agree about the stick controls... but man, those new mechanics rule, especially the rocket lock-on one! boss fights were probably the best designed yet, last one turned out challenging even all geared up.

100%ed normal in around 12 hours, then proceeded to speed run hard mode, phew. couldn't beat final asshole with ~60 rockets, so took some time for backtracking to collect a few more 10+ rocket items. even then he took me hours to beat, finally managed after finding out you can actually destroy those phase 3 "suns" with power bombs lel. had around 10 minutes left to 4 hours in the end, so yeah, not a trivial feat!

anyhoo, highly recommended!

• Like 3

Anyone have a chance to play RE4 VR? Looks very promising but it's exclusive to Oculus 2, which is dumb. I hope it becomes available to more VR sets later.

(24 Oct GMT-9 edit) Tried a bit of Dusk '82 last night on my new Switch. It's basically a retro dungeon crawler version of Dusk, with some dope chiptune by the same music composer. Pretty neat so far, and perfect for casual gaming. And the parent game drops on Switch in just a few days. 

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Squee said:

Anyone playing the Outer Wilds DLC? Holy moly.

Hated that game. Controls were so bad, and they combined that with precise timing for many key actions. Just brutal. Glad I watched rather than played the rest.

8 hours ago, Squee said:

I love the setting and lore of it, though I'm finding some parts kind of frustrating

Outer Wilds is fantastic though, such incredibly creative locations and ideas. Some of the most interesting experiences I've ever had in a game.

8 hours ago, Squee said:

Not yet, please don't spoil it! Still waiting for a comfy autumn day to finish the main story. Got a little lost admittedly, been quite a while since I last played it. I think I'm missing some floating city details.. And I never went back to the scary fish planet, jesus christ :wtf:

Anyone familar with Alan Wake? The first few hours I enjoyed a lot but it's beginning to be a bit of a slog with all the trekking around and pointing lights/shooting at the same enemies over and over. Hope the story picks up again, I preferred Control with all its hidden story bits.. At least so far.

4 hours ago, chronical said:

Not yet, please don't spoil it! Still waiting for a comfy autumn day to finish the main story. Got a little lost admittedly, been quite a while since I last played it. I think I'm missing some floating city details.. And I never went back to the scary fish planet, jesus christ :wtf:

Anyone familar with Alan Wake? The first few hours I enjoyed a lot but it's beginning to be a bit of a slog with all the trekking around and pointing lights/shooting at the same enemies over and over. Hope the story picks up again, I preferred Control with all its hidden story bits.. At least so far.

Not spoiling anything. I loved Outer Wilds so much so I'm not going to spoil anything.
But the DLC is fucking mindblowing.

Yeah, Alan Wake was awesome, but a lot of people were disappointed in it. It  was announced as an open world game and ended up being very linear, which I was very ok with. It's a great game and the DLC makes up for some of the main game's lacking parts. It takes a while for the game to get going, but I can definitely see why you're struggling with it if you've already played Control. That game is pure, unleashed Remedy insanity whereas Alan Wake is a bit more restrained. But keep with it. It's good.

I hated Alan Wake tbh. the combat was so bad it dragged the whole experience down. I liked the environments and even the story to some extent, insofar as it's kind of a corny Stephen King homage, but the game just left me feeling annoyed every time I touched it. it got to the point where I would swear at the player character out loud every time something went wrong. "run, you stupid motherfucker! you fucking dumbass hack writer" I have much higher hopes for Control.

I'm playing Hades and this game is like crack. I finish a run and immediately dive into another one.

• Haha 1

The zone has me back. Playing Stalker - Anomaly a lot. What a gift. https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly
Stalker mods have given me the worst kind of malware - I'm not saying Anomaly has some, but Stalker with mods is what I always play on a secondary windows just to be safe.

This and The Long Dark is 90% of my gaming these days.

jup1.jpg

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1

Inscryption was amazing, especially playing it blind. The way it all comes together in the end ... So much stuff I missed too, makes me want another playthough.

Other highlights this year for me were resident evil 8 and metroid dread.. What else did I miss?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Fallout 4 turned six yesterday. Who else still playin?

Never finished it, the jank was a bit much to me. New Vegas I remember fondly though :fear:

• Like 1

Just now, chronical said:

Never finished it, the jank was a bit much to me. New Vegas I remember fondly though :fear:

I enjoy both, but for different reasons. FO4 has smoother gameplay, but NV has better writing.

You're not wrong about the jank though. Last night I walked out of a building with Dogmeat and immediately died in a nuclear explosion for no apparent reason.