IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

7 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

Nah, i don't mean input lag. the inputs are registered well, albeit for an unusally long time. so let's say you press roll at the beginning of a sword swing by accident or whatever, that roll will still come out at the end of the swing. or the case i described when you press roll too late and get hit, then said cancelled roll will still come out much later after the stagger animation / hitstun. i mean some buffer time is cool n all, but this has to be well over a second or maybe even two. sure, it becomes manageable after getting used to it, but yeah...

also i think it's annoying i can't switch weapons while rolling. i mean sure, gotta wait for that switching animation for all i care, but curiously THAT input is immediately "forgotten", why can't that be activated automatically after the roll? meh.

Yeah curious about Elden Ring, too. Guess they'll have to fix their Online Mode RCE exploit first tho, DS3 server been down for days already...

if you are playing on PC, just be aware that there are some serious hax floating about that could fuck up your whole kompetter. there's a link in that article to a mod called Blue Sentinel which protects against these, I wouldn't play without it if you're going online.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, usagi said:

if you are playing on PC, just be aware that there are some serious hax floating about that could fuck up your whole kompetter. there's a link in that article to a mod called Blue Sentinel which protects against these, I wouldn't play without it if you're going online.

i am and i'm using said mod, thanks! but like i said, server's down anyway... apparently all souls as well as elden ring basically share the same net code, so they gotta be hustlin to get rid of shit.

51 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

i am and i'm using said mod, thanks! but like i said, server's down anyway... apparently all souls as well as elden ring basically share the same net code, so they gotta be hustlin to get rid of shit.

RCE exploits are nothing new in games, if they can't fix it until the end of February I'm sure they'll just disable the PC servers for a bit. I wonder if you could potentially hack a PS4 with something like that?

Also check this out, people change their equipment mid-parry in DS3, I am getting too old for this :lol: He even does it.. mid-roll

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chronical said:

RCE exploits are nothing new in games, if they can't fix it until the end of February I'm sure they'll just disable the PC servers for a bit. I wonder if you could potentially hack a PS4 with something like that?

Also check this out, people change their equipment mid-parry in DS3, I am getting too old for this :lol: He even does it.. mid-roll

Lol, nice.

I only arranged my inventory in such a way i can quickly switch to symbol of avarice and mendicant's staff after a boss fight for them extra souls...

Didn't get into PVP really thus far and now's a bad time... Will certainly try to farm the spells hidden behind covenant favor some time, tho.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, Joyrex said:

I got this as my second Genesis (here in the States) game after Space Harrier II (and of course the Altered Beast pack-in)... it's actually a debranded version of Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) since they didn't think the anime was known or popular in the US...

as i was playing i kept thinking "this is basically fist of the north star" which worked out perfectly because i love both the series and anime so-

4ydfy0z.png

^ that, is friggin' AWESOME.

Sifu Review

After a total CF early release debacle (lol deluxe edition preorders were supposed to go live yesterday - but then they didn't release at timer hitting 0, and the running theory is that some asshat on the backend switched the dates from US to European format, because people's download info kept flipping between 04/02 and 02/04) got a chance to boot this up last night. 

Fantastic, so far. Also, brutally, brutally difficult. What makes that all ok is the combat system is probably one of the best I've ever played couple with enemy AI that is just right in terms of difficulty, predictability v randomness, difficulty spikes, etc. I actually don't typically like the Soulslike genre but I'm... not quite sure this is that. It actually makes me more think of my absolute favorite brawler: Ninja Gaiden I and II (Itagaki era). It's not the same slash, slash, launch nor is it even the same FEEL but there is a game philosophy at play here that is in keeping w/ Master Ninja level of competency and command over your moveset. Oh, and of course, the uber responsiveness. 

This is a game that will kill you and kill you and kill you but it never feels unearned. And even after a relatively short night of playing I'm already going back to the first level and the dudes who seemed like tough as nails I'm suddenly dodge, dodge, parry retaliate, push, dash comboing into oblivion. And it's not that the game got easier, I just got more proficient. And that is also very Ninja Gaiden. Of those games, someone once said in order to engage God Mode all you need to do is play on Master Ninja for a while and then go back to normal - feels like everyone is moving in slow motion. 

Suspect that this will probably end up as GOTY for me. It's the perfect blend of atmosphere and singular focus on a concept, almost perfectly executed (there are some elements I won't get into here that feel like they could have been a little better explained / seem unnecessarily opaque - but that's a quibble, and not necessarily a flaw in the actual system).  Oh, also, it LOOKS great - glad they went with an almost cell/brushwork artstyle - not only fits the mood but feels like they were able to uber optimize the gameplay. 

TLDR: If you like movies like IP Man, the Raid, Crouching Tiger, the hallway fight scene in Oldboy (which is totally referenced in the first level to great effect) and are willing to work to earn the ability to make your character move like that through focus, concentration and repetition than you will LOVE this thing. 

9.5 Jet Li's / 10,000 Flying Daggers

*Small details - one thing that consistently amazes me is the environmental interactions and things that DON'T look wonky. Like, tons of finishing animations and many of them end up w/ the NPC up against the environment.. but I have yet to see it look wrong/awkward. The transitions between moves never look oddly framed it just.. flows. hats off to the small team who did this... 

• Like 3

Earthbound, finally 

Last time I played it was on an emulator. The announcement that it was releasing on the switch was the only news I needed from the last direct. It's truly one of the best RPGs imo

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chronical said:

That's not free if you have to pay for online :shrug:

Free, as in you don’t have to purchase the game separately, which you always had to do in the past. IMO, they should make the Switch Sports game part of Online as well, that would sell subscriptions more than 30 year old console games, eh

I finished Shin Megami Tensei V on New Year's Day, and ever since, I haven't really latched onto another game to play through consistently.

I have been sporadically playing through the recent DLC for Blasphemous, making this my 4th playthrough, and it just seems so much harder than it was before (probably because I'm actually using a penitence this time), so I'm not enjoying it as much.

I bought Scarlet Nexus a couple of weeks ago and started it last weekend. It's OK so far, but it feels a little weird and the camera takes some getting used to.

I tried to go back to Control to finish the AWE DLC, but I don't remember what i was doing the last time I played it, so I quit.

Last weekend, after flailing around trying to find a game I would play to the end, I put in Rockman X, which I haven't played in about 3 or 4 years, and finished that in like 1.5 hours and had a great time. I find it interesting that the games that I've been playing all my life still delight me to no end, but I have such difficulty staying interested in newer games. I started Cuphead again last night and realized that I quit before because I don't actually like it (I LOVE the graphics and music, but the gameplay isn't for me).

Mainly been playing Gunfire Reborn again lately. It's basically roguelike Borderlands minus the cringe. Pretty impressive weapon variety.

Tried Metal Wolf Chaos XD last Monday also. The gundam/exosuit you pilot is pretty neat, but for a game from 2019 the SFX are pretty janky, not to mention the 2004 graphics. Pretty sure the game was meant to be satire to begin with though.

Also got back into Duskers earlier this month. I think my beginner level online programming course has trained me to input in-game command lines more quickly. Also learning things I haven't before, like figuring out how to commandeer a derelict after clearing it out. Plus the game got another update just yesterday.

And then No Man's Sky just got its next big update as of last week. So now there's more Sentinel types along with new Multi-Tool weapon attachments. Still trying to find one of the new Sentinel Nests.