IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

On 3/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, Grain Bastard said:

In all seriousness Elden Ring is making me a tad angry ?I’ve been one shotted by the wildlife wandering around never mind the bosses.

LOL. Unless you’re referring to the rune bears. Those fucking things still get me worse than a lot of bosses, and even on horseback.

I gotta say that if you are trying to go in order Margit the Fell Omen is one of the hardest bosses I can recall. Pretty rude awakening for all the first timers out there but, hey, it’s open world so you can go on a journey and come back when you’re finally ready. I tried beating Margit with no summons and admittedly couldn’t do it. Having beaten Demon’s Souls, and Dark Souls 1 and 2 I feel shame calling in the wolves. 

also

image.jpeg

Edited by Hail Sagan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, what's WATMM's take on the GTAV remaster comings out for Ps5/SeriesX? Part of me just vomits at the thought of buying this thing for literally the 3rd time on 3 diff console generations. Plus, the total lack of (substative) info for a game that's coming out in less that a week makes me think it's going to be.... kind of lame. 

Then again, it's only 10 bucks right now so... probably worth a tenner even if it's just some slightly upgraded graphics? Dunno, I always find I'm starstruck for the first 10 hrs of any new GTA and then quickly feel like I suddenly have another job for the next 20 after which point I just quit. ... maybe I should try online?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts

15 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

So, what's WATMM's take on the GTAV remaster comings out for Ps5/SeriesX? Part of me just vomits at the thought of buying this thing for literally the 3rd time on 3 diff console generations. Plus, the total lack of (substative) info for a game that's coming out in less that a week makes me think it's going to be.... kind of lame. 

Then again, it's only 10 bucks right now so... probably worth a tenner even if it's just some slightly upgraded graphics? Dunno, I always find I'm starstruck for the first 10 hrs of any new GTA and then quickly feel like I suddenly have another job for the next 20 after which point I just quit. ... maybe I should try online?

my initial plan was waiting for the dust to settle and possibly grabbing it at a later date, but thanks to the intro price it'll likely be an instabuy.

it IS kinda gross and hilarious how much mileage rockstar/take two are getting out of this one fucking game, but at the same time i really do enjoy it and i'm definitely willing to splash a few quid on some extra polygons and a framerate bump.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

I haven't touched GTA V in like seven years, so I'm not really sure what to say on this. Or, they could focus on a new GTA game, but...who knows if that'll ever live up to the standards of V.

I'll most likely dive back into Cyberpunk 2077 soon, now that's been patched to 1.5 for about a month. Seems like the next best thing.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 1:19 AM, MaartenVC said:

My Elden Ring tips: (no spoilers)

Caves and dungeons can be quite hard at the start. They're more of a challenge, to acquire something valuable.
I started as the wretch starting-class and the first caves and dungeons were pretty damn hard I remember.
It was mostly because I had no armor at all, only had a simple club as a weapon, and hadn't unlocked anything yet.
Unlock the first 3 Sites of Grace as soon as possible. They unlock item crafting (throwables), your horse (mobility), and ashes of war (ghost summons at boss fights).
I suggest exploring the open-world some more. Some areas are easier than others.
Explore Limgrave: both the left side were you start, but also the right side, the south, and eventually the north.
You don't have to beat most bosses yet. You can do them any time you want.
Try leveling up your endurance and health.
Try out weapons. They all have different advantages and attack-patterns. I decided that bleeding weapons are my go-to in this game.
When you like a certain weapon's fighting style upgrade it. Upgrading your weapon is key.
There's an easy cave close-by near the lake area with tons of weapon-upgrade materials.
Be sure you're not fat-rolling. Rolling is important to dodge attacks.
When you first encounter a new enemy learn its attacks by triggering them and then rolling away.
Or block with a shield if you prefer. Shields are a bit OP in souls games in my opinion.
You can two-hand weapons. If you do a heavy jumping attack with a weapon two-handed, and follow up with another heavy attack, the enemy will get stunned in most cases. Really powerful. The stun thing is an important hidden mechanic in this game. A bit comparable to the stun-mechanic in Sekiro. (I haven't played that game yet though)
Maybe you could start a different starting-class. Some starting-classes are easier to start than others.
But in the end all characters will be able to do most things. So no stress.

For reference:
I'm 40 hours in and I still haven't completely finished Limgrave. I still have to do the main-quest castle and some optional bosses. Reason: I became distracted by 2 other truly magnificent higher-level areas. I was in awe.

Don't give up on this game.
It's a magnificent game with tons of amazing areas and things to find. It might be hard at the start, but because you can do anything you want to do and go anywhere you want to go, it's actually not that hard really. I find it way easier than previous souls games because of this. It will get easier once you learn how to play, upgrade your weapon, and find more helpful awesome stuff.

Really solid advice here. I especially recommend endurance leveling and equipping an endurance-boosting talisman (Viridian Amber Medallion] if you get one. That stamina bar is mega important as it goes down during your striking, running, rolling, jumping, etc. Obviously vigor is also important but I think endurance at least early on is key.

Another recommendation is to level up your ghost summons you collect. I would watch an online video on how to find the girl, find the summoning bell, etc. But those summons, especially 3 agile and aggressive wolves will often distract and pick away at the bigger foes.

Lastly I’ve just been totally neglecting it but the flask of wondrous physik (found in the third church of marika I think) turns out to be very useful. It only regenerates after you sit at a point of grace but you can combine tears you find in the world into the flask. For example, I when I use the flask one tear temporarily raises my hp and the other significantly negates damage received.

Also probably obvious but wait to consume your golden runes until you are at a grace point and need more to level up or at a merchant and really need an item.

just got to Leyndell, the Royal Capital. Damn, this place looks beautiful. Kinda getting that same sense of awe I had when I first stepped into Andor Londo. Oh and I’m getting absolutely eviscerated at every turn as well. 

• Like 1

Over 990 games for $10 in itch.io Bundle for Ukraine https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

Includes a few well known titles like Baba is You, Superhot and Celeste, and a huge amount of lesser known stuff. I've been sifting through the bundle this weekend and it's a nice chance to check out a bunch of these games I never would have heard of or played otherwise. Currently really enjoying Circa Infinity and Future Grind.

• Like 5

Catching up on some of the key turn-of-the-millenium-ish stuff I missed when it was new:

A bit less than half way through Deus Ex (the original one)

About 20% of the way through VTM:B (almost to where I was when my old computer died and I lost my save files back around 2014)

A bit of the way into the Egypt levels of Chasm: The Rift

Almost done with Shadow Warrior

In the queue - Thief: The Dark Project; Hitman: Blood Money

I'm also stalled in a bunch of XBox 360 games because I've just really been feeling the old PC stuff lately.

Also playing WHAT THE GOLF?

Edited by TubularCorporation

I triggered a random quest in Elden Ring and eventually was surprise attacked by an NPC when I went to a certain location(don't want to spoil too much).  Just thought this armor set I got from beating him was some pretty sweet fashion souls.  He also dropped a dagger carved out of human bone but I think it's faith magic.1913654373_Enshaarmor.thumb.jpg.4a07ea3c9305dcee57f8907695f3a036.jpg

• Like 2

Surprised that "The Signal State" hasn't been mentioned yet — it's a post-apocalyptic puzzle game in which you have to construct modular synthesizers:

5 hours ago, Shrubs said:

Surprised that "The Signal State" hasn't been mentioned yet — it's a post-apocalyptic puzzle game in which you have to construct modular synthesizers:

I hate to be that guy buy... Simon Stålenhag much?

5 hours ago, Shrubs said:

it has. it's still on my to buy list.

fucking elden ring is ruining my uni-life big time, 150 hours in just over 2 weeks. XP

sporting strength/endurance build, lvl 147, gargoyle greatsword with lion's claw ftw. just met malenia at the haligtree-roots. think sister friede from ds3 on steroids, also every hit heals her, regardless of block. phew.

the art and music of this game is downright magical, also i feel the lore is alot less cryptic than in the souls franchise. also hooray for actual hints on sidequests n shit, i really hated the random nature of some of these in the past (like meet person y at random spot z, but don't exhaust dialogue before killing miniboss z, etc etc).

it's living up the hype alright, not much i can add that hasn't been said before. probably best soulbourne so far as well as one of the best open world experiences i ever had.

if you're not planning to cope with anything else in life for the next 2 months just get it. then get good. ?

edit:

"just another day in ELLLLLDENNN RINNNGGG"

https://i.ibb.co/hspVrbG/3h567356.jpg

Edited by jaderpansen
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jaderpansen said:

fucking elden ring is ruining my uni-life big time, 150 hours in just over 2 weeks. XP

sporting strength/endurance build, lvl 147, gargoyle greatsword with lion's claw ftw. just met malenia at the haligtree-roots. think sister friede from ds3 on steroids, also every hit heals her, regardless of block. phew.

the art and music of this game is downright magical, also i feel the lore is alot less cryptic than in the souls franchise. also hooray for actual hints on sidequests n shit, i really hated the random nature of some of these in the past (like meet person y at random spot z, but don't exhaust dialogue before killing miniboss z, etc etc).

it's living up the hype alright, not much i can add that hasn't been said before. probably best soulbourne so far as well as one of the best open world experiences i ever had.

if you're not planning to cope with anything else in life for the next 2 months just get it. then get good. ?

edit:

"just another day in ELLLLLDENNN RINNNGGG"

https://i.ibb.co/hspVrbG/3h567356.jpg

spoilers dood, some people have yet to reach that area! not me though lol. melania is currently kicking my ass

2 minutes ago, usagi said:

I am avoiding any Elden Ring chat until I am able to play it, which will probably not be anytime this year.

No console or PC to play it? I don't think I could handle not playing it, the hype is still through the roof here :sorcerer:

1 hour ago, chronical said:

spoilers dood, some people have yet to reach that area! not me though lol. melania is currently kicking my ass

ah shit that's right, soz everyone. (she was revealed in a trailer tho, still silly me)

3 hours ago, chronical said:

btw apparently she's malenia, blade of miquella. at least that's what she keeps telling me. XP

5 hours ago, milkface said:

if you haven't played The Talos Principle you definitely should.

I've stopped playing the game back since last summer due to the two chuffing star puzzles on the Crater level (from the DLC). Keep getting about 3/4 way through then 'soft-locking' myself and giving up. Wish the rewind button would allow you to partially rewind rather than completely restart the level.

• Like 1

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is still a go, but will no longer be available in Russia: https://www.gamesradar.com/stalker-2-wont-be-sold-in-russia-as-developer-pens-farewell-note-to-audience/

Also Chernobyl will be renamed to the native Ukrainian name Chornobyl. (Wouldn't be surprised if this trends beyond the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community, under the circumstances)

After clearing this area and resetting at the grace point, I rolled one up and listened to her sing for a while looking over the cliffside.  The area is unique, and the boss nearby ended up giving a lot of runes.  It's a wicked bat lady just vibing with her bat homie.  Sounds like some ancient Latin.  Was going to capture the audio to share but someone already has an hour long loop of it up:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ambermonke said:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is still a go, but will no longer be available in Russia: https://www.gamesradar.com/stalker-2-wont-be-sold-in-russia-as-developer-pens-farewell-note-to-audience/

Also Chernobyl will be renamed to the native Ukrainian name Chornobyl. (Wouldn't be surprised if this trends beyond the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community, under the circumstances)

I really hope the devs and their families are all ok and in safety. And that they can continue their work on their new game.
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were quite special for the time: blending Role-Playing, Open-World, Survival and Shooter elements all together in a gritty immersive post-apocalyptic real-world setting.
Nowadays this blend of genres is rather common: Fallout, Dying Light, Metro,...
But for some reason the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series still feels surprisingly unique, maybe because of the atmosphere and cultural difference.
If you plan on playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (2007) I recommend looking up some mods reducing instability and bugs though.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 1