IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I finished Deliver Us the Moon on PS5 a couple of days ago. Unfortunately the sound was all fucked up (in fact quite a few bugs in it, getting stuck on the surroundings etc) and I had to rely on the subtitles. However later in the game they also went weird so I’m not totally sure what happened at the end. I won’t give spoilers but what I ‘think’ happened was ok and I still enjoyed it. It’s an adventure puzzle game with some tasks having time limits. There is no fighting element in the game.

Sort of given up on Death Stranding as it seems to be a delivery game with chimping elements. I can throw shit about in real life, so where’s the ‘escapism’?

I’ve also started Wytchwood 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:19 AM, o00o said:

this looks really weird in a good way. I dont get the concept completly - so he sometimes has nightmares that turn the game into an action platformer? 

I believe it was a tech demo of sorts for Persona 5's engine, it's half interactable visual novel half platformer.. Both of which are great. And yeah at night you have nightmares where you have to climb a tower which ties into the story. Being able to sit at a bar listening to smooth jazz talking to everyone to find out what's going on in your nightmares is seriously great

Prodeus is now @ ver 1.0, which I think means it's finally out of early access. Looks like the maps have been tweaked a bit, achievements have been added, and even in-game currency and shops have been introduced. If I'm being honest, it's nothing short of a masterpiece and renders Doom Eternal irrelevant.

• Like 1

I just got Metroid Dread. It’s surprisingly similar to my favorite platformers Celeste and Ori with its dashing moves and slowly expanding skill set.

I like it much more than I expected 

• Like 4

Having played ALL the LucasArts/LucasFilm I feel like such an idiot playing Return to Monkey Island. Got the forest map but whenever I follow it I end up leaving the forest instead. The fuck?!

Researched Metroidvania games and got Axiom Verge and Carrion. Any must have suggestions besides Ori and Owlboy? 

Is Hollow Knight worth a shot? I got in on steam some years ago and found the monochrome graphics quite dull but maybe its different on the switch? 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, o00o said:

Researched Metroidvania games and got Axiom Verge and Carrion. Any must have suggestions besides Ori and Owlboy? 

Two that I really enjoyed are Dandara and Dead Cells. Dandara is a full-on Metroidvania, though how you move and get around is quite a bit different than trad. Metroidvanias. Dead Cells, on the other hand, is a lot more traditional in play, but it's a Souls-like with randomly generated levels each time you play through it. Don't let that dissuade you though, it's super fun and addictive. I still go back to it regularly.

Axiom Verge is really great. Still haven't played Carrion but I know I will eventually. I'm still waiting for Ghost Song, several years after pre-ordering it, though the updated demo still plays like everything I've been waiting for. And of course, Metroid Dread is amazing!

Ghost Song looks really nice.  Had Dandara for iOS but I have to try it again on switch as it will play much better with controllers. Seems also much bigger and complex from the trailers than the small part I played on the phone. I see Dead Cells recommended very often. I found it to difficult and overwhelming the first time I played it on steam years ago but I should give it another try as it seems to become more fun when you are deeper into the gameplay.  

4 hours ago, o00o said:

Is Hollow Knight worth a shot? I got in on steam some years ago and found the monochrome graphics quite dull but maybe its different on the switch? 

I highly recommend Hollow Knight.
It's my favorite metroidvania besides the original Metroid- and Castlevania-games. You could emulate these old ones easily, but apparently there's also a Castlevania Advance Collection available on steam which includes Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. There are no Metroid games officially for sale on PC unfortunately. However there is/was a really good fan remake of  Metroid II: Return of Samus called AM2R Another Metroid 2 Remake.
Some other great metroidvanias on PC besides Ori, Owlboy, Axiom Verge, and Carrion:
Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night
Ender Lilies - Quietus of the Knights
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Cave Story
Iconoclasts
Steamworld Dig 2
Dust - An Elysian Tail
Yoku's Island Express
Salt and Sanctuary
Guacamelee!
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Tunic
Wuppo
Momodora - Reverie Under the Moonlight
Blasphemous
Grime

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 9:54 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Just picked up Radiant Silvergun on Switch

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/radiant-silvergun-switch/

97F3FA8F-14C2-4A37-8C88-3546554551CD.jpeg

steam port pls.

on topic: ghostrunner. not bad.

13 minutes ago, MaartenVC said:

It's my favorite metroidvania besides the original Metroid- and Castlevania-games. You could emulate these old ones easily, but apparently there's also a Castlevania Advance Collection available on steam which includes Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. There are no Metroid games officially for sale on PC unfortunately. However there is/was a really good fan remake of  Metroid II: Return of Samus called AM2R Another Metroid 2 Remake.
Some other great metroidvanias on PC besides Ori, Owlboy, Axiom Verge, and Carrion:
Cave Story
Iconoclasts
Steamworld Dig 2
Dust - An Elysian Tail
Yoku's Island Express
Salt and Sanctuary
Guacamelee!
Tunic
Wuppo
Blasphemous
Grime

hollow knight is the most metroidvania game i've ever played. it's a masterpiece.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, Squee said:

Having played ALL the LucasArts/LucasFilm I feel like such an idiot playing Return to Monkey Island. Got the forest map but whenever I follow it I end up leaving the forest instead. The fuck?!

I got lost on that puzzle too for a minute, pay attention to the flora.

The game is a nostalgia trip, a bit too easy peasy though. Also, I would have liked it to have been a pixel throwback, the irony of the first game with the life-like portraits and grotesque portrayals (ex. sacrificial bodies in front of monkey head alter) in juxtaposition to the goofy, meta, pirate computer game humor are what made that game special to me. The music also seems to just be a mash of the first few games. Humor is still good though and I genuinely lol'd a few times.

19 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

steam port pls.

on topic: ghostrunner. not bad.

hollow knight is the most metroidvania game i've ever played. it's a masterpiece.

ok I will give it another try - is the silksong addon recommendable as well?

20 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Cave Story
Iconoclasts
Steamworld Dig 2
Dust - An Elysian Tail
Yoku's Island Express
Salt and Sanctuary
Guacamelee!
Tunic
Wuppo
Blasphemous
Grime

great list - this one looks really interesting: 

2 hours ago, onecaseman said:

I started Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I dig it. I wish more of the lore was transparent for someone who just started with Origins and skipped all the grindy old school games.

eh, don't feel bad. i've played 'em all (except AC unity - fuck that game) and i still didn't know wtf was happening with the lore in Odyssey half the time. just enjoy the scenery IMO.

5 hours ago, luke viia said:

eh, don't feel bad. i've played 'em all (except AC unity - fuck that game) and i still didn't know wtf was happening with the lore in Odyssey half the time. just enjoy the scenery IMO.

When I first found out about the first civilization or whatever in Origins, it was pretty cool. But hear you.

1 hour ago, o00o said:

How is the performance on steam deck? I started emulating many switch games on my shadow back then which led me buying a switch in the end and its a different experience 

So far it's pretty flawless. I'm playing Neon White on it as well and it runs excellent.
Haven't tried any AAA games yet except Doom 2016 which ran in slow motion. But I didn't bother going through the menus to change the graphics settings. But all in all, I'm super fucking happy with it.