IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

29 minutes ago, o00o said:

Did you get your switch jailbroken or how does it work?

I did it myself at some point. It's pretty easy to do as long as you have an older model switch, like the first year of its release I think. You can check here with a number on the bottom of your device: https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

If it's compatible you buy or mcguyver a little jig that bridges two pins on the right side of the joycon rails. Having those connected and holding the volume up+power button forces the device into a state where you can push a payload from your computer, phone or whatever.

RCM Jig, RCM Clip Short Connector for Nintendo Switch Joy-Con RCM Tool for  NS Recovery Mode,Red,1/2pcs - Walmart.com

After this you have to carefully follow a guide (https://switch.homebrew.guide/) with which you can dualboot into the normal firmware where you can go online and a seperate firmware which runs off the SD card where you can mess with homebrew. I messed up an update down the line which banned my normal firmware so you really have to understand it if you don't want to mess up. It's really cool though, you can overclock the switch by like 75%. DS emulator runs like a dream, PS1 too of course. Modding Smash Bros. was probably the thing I had the most fun with. Oh yeah someone built MilkyTracker for it last year which is just awesome https://github.com/retronx-team/MilkyTrackerNX

Edited by chronical
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 7:07 PM, chronical said:

I did it myself at some point. It's pretty easy to do as long as you have an older model switch, like the first year of its release I think. You can check here with a number on the bottom of your device: https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

If it's compatible you buy or mcguyver a little jig that bridges two pins on the right side of the joycon rails. Having those connected and holding the volume up+power button forces the device into a state where you can push a payload from your computer, phone or whatever.

RCM Jig, RCM Clip Short Connector for Nintendo Switch Joy-Con RCM Tool for  NS Recovery Mode,Red,1/2pcs - Walmart.com

After this you have to carefully follow a guide (https://switch.homebrew.guide/) with which you can dualboot into the normal firmware where you can go online and a seperate firmware which runs off the SD card where you can mess with homebrew. I messed up an update down the line which banned my normal firmware so you really have to understand it if you don't want to mess up. It's really cool though, you can overclock the switch by like 75%. DS emulator runs like a dream, PS1 too of course. Modding Smash Bros. was probably the thing I had the most fun with. Oh yeah someone built MilkyTracker for it last year which is just awesome https://github.com/retronx-team/MilkyTrackerNX

interesting - I had the impression it  was much harder to patch. I have a pretty new OLED Switch. Its not in the range anymore. On the other hand I feel really good supporting my childhood hero Nintendo and the indie game devs even tho I sometimes spend money on games that turn out shit because they had no demo version and I had to trust the reviews. This did happen on all Nintendo platforms over the years.

I beat Tunic few weeks earlier, the overall design and all the hidden stuff really blew me away - think Outer Wilds, but with an gameboy era Zelda-like gameplay.

After that, I decided to give Hollow Knight another chance. I did not really enjoy it the first time around, mostly because I played it from time to time and thus quickly got lost. Started a new playthrough and already burnt 20h, I'm quite deep in the game but feel like I have so much more to uncover. It's a blast to play while I wait for Tears of the Kingdom !

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 10:50 PM, Stock said:

I beat Tunic few weeks earlier, the overall design and all the hidden stuff really blew me away - think Outer Wilds, but with an gameboy era Zelda-like gameplay.

Best game since Outer Wilds. 

15 minutes ago, onecaseman said:

I was going to buy this, but I fucking hated Outer Wilds.

Haha, what? Do you mean Outer Worlds?

30 minutes ago, Squee said:

Haha, what? Do you mean Outer Worlds?

I hated Outer Worlds too, but no, the controls for Outer Wilds were abysmal, and the time limit and small windows to get stuff done is so annoying when you're fighting the controls all the time.

28 minutes ago, onecaseman said:

I hated Outer Worlds too, but no, the controls for Outer Wilds were abysmal, and the time limit and small windows to get stuff done is so annoying when you're fighting the controls all the time.

The controls do require a bit of getting used to, but the time limit thing is a bit of a requirement for the game to tell its story.

Elden Ring is badass. Definitely sense it's easier than the other Souls games as I didn't get helplessly stuck as many times and there are so many bonfi- I mean grace sites. There is a crazy good period in the middle where there's a ton of stuff to explore, most enemies are tough but you can still F off from anything that's too challenging (dragons). Towards the late game my bleed effects were getting nuts and everything went a bit too smooth most of the time. Not sure if I want to PVP and NG+ or re-roll a bonk build, probably the latter. 

I beat the Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores DLC. They did a better job with the villains in this one vs. the main game. But the main world story didn't advance as much as, say, the Frozen Wilds DLC. Also felt a lot easier than Frozen Wilds. The open world quests were also a lot less hand-holdy. Have to follow clues vs. just go to the question marks. I think that's a good adjustment to how exploration should work in an open world.

• Like 2

A whole scene of fan fiction has popped up in response to sad Zelda Dad, lol. My theory is he’s dead, ala Jacob’s Ladder, and hasn’t accepted it yet. Some say his wife cheated, and that’s why he’s numb and they don’t make eye contact.

15 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

A whole scene of fan fiction has popped up in response to sad Zelda Dad, lol. My theory is he’s dead, ala Jacob’s Ladder, and hasn’t accepted it yet. Some say his wife cheated, and that’s why he’s numb and they don’t make eye contact.

Brilliant ad, but also kinda disturbing? lol maybe because I can kind of identify (hats off Nintendo marketing team). I read somewhere that this was partially based on a user review of BOTW. EDIT: found it: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/nintendo-australia-emotional-tears-of-the-kingdom-ad-based-on-japanese-amazon-review/

My daughter (just turned 4) has been sick since Tuesday, but well enough to remember that mom needed to check and see "if the new Zelda was ready." When I left for work, they were getting ready to boot it up, hoping it provides a nice distraction for both of 'em. 

Also, caved last night and got Jedi Survivor. I went into the first one with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. For this one, it's like they basically took everything that was good from the first one, tightened it up, and then added more good shit. I'm not even out of the prologue and I'm like "oh shit, this is pretty great huh?"  - 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, T3551ER said:

Brilliant ad, but also kinda disturbing? lol maybe because I can kind of identify (hats off Nintendo marketing team). I read somewhere that this was partially based on a user review of BOTW. EDIT: found it: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/nintendo-australia-emotional-tears-of-the-kingdom-ad-based-on-japanese-amazon-review/

My daughter (just turned 4) has been sick since Tuesday, but well enough to remember that mom needed to check and see "if the new Zelda was ready." When I left for work, they were getting ready to boot it up, hoping it provides a nice distraction for both of 'em. 

Also, caved last night and got Jedi Survivor. I went into the first one with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised. For this one, it's like they basically took everything that was good from the first one, tightened it up, and then added more good shit. I'm not even out of the prologue and I'm like "oh shit, this is pretty great huh?"  - 

aww, hope she feels better 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

aww, hope she feels better 

Ah, thanks man. The missus texted earlier and said she was feeling much better, fingers crossed the trend will hold!

• Like 1

I tried out Rollerdrome while waiting for Zelda. It's kind of hard, but we'll see if I can get through it. Art style is awesome.

But yeah Tears of the Kingdom time. 

recently played through Doom Eternal, which still has some of the best shootinz in the business.

then played the first Plague Tale game. loved it. it shares a lot with Hellblade in some ways: an immersive, story/character-driven FPS experience that looks fantastic and is relatively short but sweet.

• Like 1

This weekend could have been a commercial for gaming company TM in our household. Everyone was sick and at one point: 

* toddler on the couch next mom playing games on her fire tablet but also demanded that 

* dad played Jedi Survivor on the TV (I'm not complaining) and

*mom lying on the couch playing TOTK on the Switch in handheld mode. 

Is this a healthy approach to wellness? Probably not, but something to be said for having a nice distraction like gaming when you're feeling like crap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been playing Devil Daggers on the side as a palate cleanser in between bigger titles for the last 4-5 years. sunk almost 300 hours into it at this point. I just finished a run where I died 3.5 seconds before making it to the 500 second mark. if you know this game, you know that was some heart-pounding shit.

• Like 2