IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Inscryption whatthefucked me in all kind of ways, great experience. Started to gather clues ingame after the ending, glad i gave up early:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vTXY6k5k-6p_kjjI_scaBtAjn495e9HqOz8vl95YSBdycjcfU1TUjjT6uWv5b-1R0xvC1SZxGV99Qt7/pub

just what... the... fuck.

Oh, music and sound design are great, too.

On 5/16/2023 at 7:31 AM, usagi said:

recently played through Doom Eternal, which still has some of the best shootinz in the biz

I just restarted it last week, roughly halfway through and it’s just so much fun lol. I’m playing on UV which seems to be just the right amount of challenge; can’t manage nightmare and I honestly am not sure I’ll be able to do the expansions on UV the difficulty just explodes in the DLCs.

Apparently the next DOOM has been hinted at; prob 2024 after Starfield is out/debugged/supported enough etc? I hope it stays this arena style and maybe adds some additional levelling complexity (maybe more weapon mods or couple new weapons or something? Like not just flame belch/frag/ice bomb, maybe a couple new mechanics to juggle).

5 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:
On 5/16/2023 at 11:31 PM, usagi said:

recently played through Doom Eternal, which still has some of the best shootinz in the biz

I just restarted it last week, roughly halfway through and it’s just so much fun lol. I’m playing on UV which seems to be just the right amount of challenge; can’t manage nightmare and I honestly am not sure I’ll be able to do the expansions on UV the difficulty just explodes in the DLCs.

that's exactly how I played it as well, UV for the main campaign and HMP for The Ancient Gods.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:20 AM, jaderpansen said:

Inscryption whatthefucked me in all kind of ways,

great game.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 5:42 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Anyone mastered rocket shield in Zelda yet?

No but I was playing a lot more BOTW before starting TOTK yesterday. It’s incredible how they improved many of the gameplay mechanics and went a much more emotional route with it. Sometimes it has these great  studio ghibli vibes. The hand thing also looks a bit like a scene from akira 

• Like 3

Trying to 100% Myhouse.wad as blind as possible.  After my second run through I looked up a couple early-game hints (without spoiling too much, I looked up the water related one and I checked a WIKI after I'd spent about 15 minutes in the closet, to make sure there wasn't something I was missing) to get an idea of the logic behind the less obvious stuff.  And I didn't bother playing through The Underhalls after my first playthough until I saw that mentioned somewhere.

Also I cheated once. I made the jump near the bad doggie after about half a dozen tries and then fell off before I realized I'd made it. I never managed to make it again, so I eventually I ended up noclipping up there.

It's pretty hard to resist watching some videos and poking around out of bounds just to see how all of the stuff was actually pulled off.

Definitely worth doing the first run completely lind and then using Journal.docx and the other stuff that comes with it to figure out the harder parts. And ABSOLUTELY worht playing, it might be the most impressive Doom map I've ever seen, and I missed almost all of the hype so it's not becuase of that. I just wanted to see how a single map had enough to justify a that review Youtube keeps reccommending to me being longer than most movies.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

If you haven't seen or read anything abotu it yet, DON'T.  Read the first post, download the Google Drive stuff, but don't even look at any of it until you've played through the .pk3 file (NOT the WAD!) in GZdoom.  You'll probably see about 25% of it on your first playthrough.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Just beat RE4 remake on Hardcore, smashing the last of the 16 Clockwork Castellans in the process. And now I've unlocked a bonus weapon.
Might be a while before I play again though. But I'm sure a Separate Ways DLC is inevitable. Maybe I'll try a Professional run next time and get my ass whooped hard.

Also just bought Warhammer 40K: Boltgun. Supposed to be the next great boomer shooter apparently. Guess it's something to play while waiting only one more week for Nightdive's long-awaited System Shock remake (the full release)

• Like 1

All I play, all the time, is Binding of Isaac, I really need to play something else, can anyone recommend something in the vein of the Longest Journey or Discworld?

20 minutes ago, hoggy said:

All I play, all the time, is Binding of Isaac, I really need to play something else, can anyone recommend something in the vein of the Longest Journey or Discworld?

Disco Elysium

2 hours ago, ambermonk said:

Guess it's something to play while waiting only one more week for Nightdive's long-awaited System Shock remake (the full release)

keen af

• Like 3

also, recently finished the second Plague Tale game. it's incredible. Innocence I liked already but Requiem develops on it so much more in every way. imo this game has entered the ranks of the best video game narrative experiences ever crafted. a sad, beautiful, gripping story - all the more so on the second playthrough when you know what's going to happen, when the peaceful interludes between the inescapable violence seem all the more meaningful for their impermanence. it also had some of the most vivid apocalyptic landscapes (some of them clearly paying homage to Beksinski) I've ever seen in a game, thanks in no small part to being one of the best-looking of this generation. and it presented this sort of imagery in such a unique and imaginative way too, cos the setting could not be more different from your standard post-apocalyptic shooter fare.

Requiem is, at its core, a story about the bond between two siblings,

Spoiler

and coming to terms with the terminal illness of one of them.

I'm glad this game's excellence was recognised with a GOTY 2022 nomination at least, though it should have definitely won the music award.

yooo @usagi alan "oops i lost my wife" wake 2 is coming out, i know you're excited!

and while it's really neat to see the marathon name revived (i had no idea this was even rumored... was it?), of course they bungie'd it up and made it a pvp lootfest instead. immediately downloaded aleph one to soothe my broken heart.

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

and while it's really neat to see the marathon name revived (i had no idea this was even rumored... was it?), of course they bungie'd it up and made it a pvp lootfest instead. immediately downloaded aleph one to soothe my broken heart.

Yeah, same rapid surprise-to-excitement-to-disappointment here.

31 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

That was a really disappointing showcase ?

Eh, could've been worse. Dragons Dogma looks incredible, the fan-favorite MGS getting a remake is pretty cool too. The moment I saw the snake I started singing Snake Eater in my head with a grin on my face. I'm pumped for Alan Wake too, the first one's story is intriguing but the gameplay is very rusty nowadays. The rest besides maybe Bungie's new old shooter seem to be games I'm getting to old for to lose the disbelief while gaming. Oh, Journey: Tony Hawk edition looked pretty comfy too. That being said, all I'm excited for doesn't even have a release date. This generation of consoles is really a snoozefest two years in

Edited by chronical

Marathon is a live service game

More live service games - Concord, Fairgames

I played MGS3 years ago, I'm not that excited about remakes. I hope it is good, but it's Konami doing it so...

Splattoon rip off

Spider-Man sequel looks fine

Journey thing looks fine

Alan Wake might be good? The first one wasn't

A handheld for streaming games....I don't know what the point of this is? An app can do this.

Some VR stuff which won't tempt me to buy a $600 headset

Lot's of CG trailers aka we have fuck all to show you 

Edited by Enthusiast

2 minutes ago, Enthusiast said:

Marathon is a live service game

More live service games - Concord, Fairgames

I played MGS3 years ago, I'm not that excited about remakes

Splattoon rip off

Spider-Man sequel looks fine

Journey thing looks fine

Alan Wake might be good? The first one wasn't

A handheld for streaming games....I don't know what the point of this is? An app can do this.

Some VR stuff which won't tempt me to buy a $600 headset

Lot's of CG trailers aka we have fuck all to show you 

so what would you have liked to see, sounds like you're being hypercritical. did you watch e3 last year? now that sucked

I left the PS showcase with a realization, which was that there are a ton of samey-ass games out there I could give AF about, but that's offset by one or two titles a year that are peak gaming, and really all I need to be satisfied. 

Kind of great actually - like, there is so little time for gaming these days because life, but it's ok, because I don't feel like there's this huge backlog of awesome titles I'm missing out on.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T3551ER said:

I left the PS showcase with a realization, which was that there are a ton of samey-ass games out there I could give AF about, but that's offset by one or two titles a year that are peak gaming, and really all I need to be satisfied. 

Kind of great actually - like, there is so little time for gaming these days because life, but it's ok, because I don't feel like there's this huge backlog of awesome titles I'm missing out on.... 

I feel like a lot of games nowadays are paint-by-numbers ideas pushed by higher-up financial strategies instead of teams getting to work on something they can freely form until a prototype for an idea can get pitched properly. Maybe it's also an issue with lead game designers? Like that FPS magic game, it legit makes me wonder if these people are creatively bankrupt or if they just type "generic sci fi magic design" into some neural network and go "yes! that! market strategy said this works!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, chronical said:

I feel like a lot of games nowadays are paint-by-numbers ideas pushed by higher-up financial strategies instead of teams getting to work on something they can freely form until a prototype for an idea can get pitched properly. Maybe it's also an issue with lead game designers? Like that FPS magic game, it legit makes me wonder if these people are creatively bankrupt or if they just type "generic sci fi magic design" into some neural network and go "yes! that! market strategy said this works!"

100% on all of this. So much feels like it was designed in some boardroom based on gaming trends that, by the time the game releases, are already woefully out of date anyway. 

• Like 1