IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Seems like the best new games so far this year are all remakes of classics. Apparently E3 got cancelled this year as well.

Regardless, I wish companies would focus less on being ambitious or trying to push the envelope and more on making games that are enjoyable and/or original. I think it's completely fine if they draw influence from classics though.

the two Plague Tale games I've been yakking about stand firmly in contrast to the miserable AAA industry trends you guys are talking about. the gameplay can be a little rough around the edges but 1. it tries (and  imo mostly succeeds) at something different, and 2. the greater merits lie in the "art" of the game rather than the mechanics anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, usagi said:

the two Plague Tale games I've been yakking about stand firmly in contrast to the miserable AAA industry trends you guys are talking about. the gameplay can be a little rough around the edges but 1. it tries (and  imo mostly succeeds) at something different, and 2. the greater merits lie in the "art" of the game rather than the mechanics anyway.

That's awesome. I have a good buddy who (like most of us) almost never finishes games, but he told me the Plague Tale games are ones he absolutely plays through bc they are just so incredible. Guess I need to bump it my list!

forbidden siren 2 = great stuff, interesting gameplay mechanics, nice combination of fighting enemies, hiding/running and solving puzzles

comparison with siren 1 so far = battle mechanics is better in siren 2

atmosphere and enemy design are more interesting in siren 1

recently finished amnesia: the dark descent - decided to finish this since i played penumbra a long time ago, i'd say it's a good game but like penumbra doesn't reach the level of clock tower, resident evil, silent hill and siren. some parts of the game put too much emphasis on the puzzles. hiding/running away from enemies is really cool. at one point you have to run like crazy through several rooms/corridors while constantly being chased by several enemies at once - prob my fav part of the whole game.

21 hours ago, T3551ER said:

That's awesome. I have a good buddy who (like most of us) almost never finishes games, but he told me the Plague Tale games are ones he absolutely plays through bc they are just so incredible. Guess I need to bump it my list!

iirc from your posts you have a young boy? prepare for these games to fuck with your feelings hard then, especially the second. but they're worth it. I just finished my second playthrough of Requiem cos I just didn't want to let it go. I can't remember the last time I dove straight back into a game just to relive the story (rather than collecting achievements or whatever). it's a hall-of-famer for me. I'd like to know what you think of it if you get around to it.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 9:58 AM, usagi said:

iirc from your posts you have a young boy? prepare for these games to fuck with your feelings hard then, especially the second. but they're worth it. I just finished my second playthrough of Requiem cos I just didn't want to let it go. I can't remember the last time I dove straight back into a game just to relive the story (rather than collecting achievements or whatever). it's a hall-of-famer for me. I'd like to know what you think of it if you get around to it.

Ok, bet very good to know. Close, I have a daughter but I suspect that'll not make much difference if a child is involved/the emotional depth is there - your child is your child, you know?

Good to be forewarned, means I'll probably wait a little until I'm mentally prepped (it's crazy - I have to be careful watching things like horror films these days bc if there is a kid component it can overwhelm me ... like, even stupid horror stuff. Lol, I guess love makes you vulnerable)

Beat Warhammer 40K: Boltgun a little while ago. Pretty good overall but the amount of monsters gets a bit over the top at times. Boss fights get tedious and repetitive as well.

Now gonna do one last run of the System Shock remake demo before full release tomorrow. Must contain excitement.

anyone been playing the diablo 4 beta? The game comes out for people that pre-ordered on Thursday I think.  I've purposely been avoiding it and looking forward to going in blind and enjoying the first playthrough.  Still not sure if I'm going to pre-order the $70 basic version, or just wait for the horrible release day issues to pass and hop in whenever.  I'm really looking forward to some good cutscenes/story and being a loot whore.  

This looks like a good tdlr for anyone like me that hasn't been paying attention but wants to play:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cloud capture said:

anyone been playing the diablo 4 beta? The game comes out for people that pre-ordered on Thursday I think.  I've purposely been avoiding it and looking forward to going in blind and enjoying the first playthrough.  Still not sure if I'm going to pre-order the $70 basic version, or just wait for the horrible release day issues to pass and hop in whenever.  I'm really looking forward to some good cutscenes/story and being a loot whore. 

Played the beta up to level 25 and Diablo 4 has me all diabolically giddy. I remember playing Diablo 2 on my dad's lap. I was scared of the Wendigo in the caves and he was a bad gamer, I don't think we ever reached act 2. Eventually in high school I saved up for my own tower to play Diablo 3 and Bad Company 2, and 11 years later here we are. I never stuck around with D3 because I preferred the gloomy atmosphere of D2 compared to D3 so this is looking right up my alley. Thinking about it now Diablo was probably my introduction to my love for all things Lovecraftian.

The crossplay integration sounds perfect too, besides not having couch co-op on PC. I'm curious if I can just level a character, make a mean build, group up with my friends and fight people in the PVP zones. Those places might be endgame-build arenas only eventually so the first few weeks/months might be the least static experience there. Some world secrets to find would be cool too. I preoredered it because otherwise I'd probably be spoiling myself reading about it online.. Not really looking forward to the usual Blizzard launch problems. Reviews are looking like a good time though. I just wish there still were paladins for the full nostalgia line-up:

image.png.536a674d6287f462ad7c01a29869f4fb.png

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:10 PM, cloud capture said:

This looks like a good tdlr for anyone like me that hasn't been paying attention but wants to play:

There were 0 release day issues for me. Even right when it released I only had to queue for 3 minutes to play and everything has been seamless.

First impressions are… I haven’t found anything to dislike about it yet? I’m not a diablo fanboy but did spend many hours on all 3 prior games, was expecting to have some issues with 4 but so far so good….

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:33 PM, chronical said:

Played the beta up to level 25 and Diablo 4 has me all diabolically giddy. I remember playing Diablo 2 on my dad's lap. I was scared of the Wendigo in the caves and he was a bad gamer, I don't think we ever reached act 2. Eventually in high school I saved up for my own tower to play Diablo 3 and Bad Company 2, and 11 years later here we are. I never stuck around with D3 because I preferred the gloomy atmosphere of D2 compared to D3 so this is looking right up my alley. Thinking about it now Diablo was probably my introduction to my love for all things Lovecraftian.

The crossplay integration sounds perfect too, besides not having couch co-op on PC. I'm curious if I can just level a character, make a mean build, group up with my friends and fight people in the PVP zones. Those places might be endgame-build arenas only eventually so the first few weeks/months might be the least static experience there. Some world secrets to find would be cool too. I preoredered it because otherwise I'd probably be spoiling myself reading about it online.. Not really looking forward to the usual Blizzard launch problems. Reviews are looking like a good time though. I just wish there still were paladins for the full nostalgia line-up:

image.png.536a674d6287f462ad7c01a29869f4fb.png

I have played Diablo 4 and TOTK the whole weekend basically and the only thing I can say I did not have so much fun playing video games for years 

• Like 5

On 6/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, o00o said:

I have played Diablo 4 and TOTK the whole weekend basically and the only thing I can say I did not have so much fun playing video games for years 

I'm loving the game.  Went to sleep at 6am again.  I've been playing since the launch on Monday and I'm up to lvl30.  All the voice acting is great, the game is really well done.  

• Like 1

Just bought a 4k hdr 120hz vrr tv to go with my ps5 (Hisense idc). Coming from a non hdr 350 nits tv I'm entering a whole new world lol

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:52 AM, TubularCorporation said:

I dropped 15 bucks on a Wii balance board last night.  When it shows up I'm playing a fuck of David Ledbetter's My Personal Golf Trainer.

Have you golfed before are you going to play this to level 100 and then go defeat the bourgeois?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chronical said:

Have you golfed before are you going to play this to level 100 and then go defeat the bourgeois?

I golfed once.

I'll need get swole if I'm going to defeat the bourgeois, though.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

Finally finished System Shock remake, after clocking in just over 30 hours.

It's kinda surreal seeing one of my favorite childhood games on PC get an overhaul like this, not to mention mainstream attention and praise. I remember first backing it as a Kickstarter project back in July 2016. After multiple delays and a complete game engine change, I'd say Nightdive fully delivered.

Granted it's not without its flaws (albeit minor ones), but overall it's been a pretty neat journey through Citadel station. Now just debating whether to jump straight into a second playthrough (taking a slightly different weapons approach) or hop back on NMS for the new Singularity expedition - for which there's about a month left.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ambermonk said:

Finally finished System Shock remake, after clocking in just over 30 hours.

It's kinda surreal seeing one of my favorite childhood games on PC get an overhaul like this, not to mention mainstream attention and praise. I remember first backing it as a Kickstarter project back in July 2016. After multiple delays and a complete game engine change, I'd say Nightdive fully delivered.

Granted it's not without its flaws (albeit minor ones), but overall it's been a pretty neat journey through Citadel station. Now just debating whether to jump straight into a second playthrough (taking a slightly different weapons approach) or hop back on NMS for the new Singularity expedition - for which there's about a month left.

I don’t recall, did you play the Prey (2017) game? I always felt that was kind of a system shock reboot. Not a remake of course but…