IGNORED

Matmos - The Marriage Of True Minds

Redruth

"A new full length album, ‘The Marriage Of True Minds’, in 2013."

"As ambitious as their projects have been in the past, Matmos' new album may just represent their most difficult challenge to date - and certainly their most esoteric. The Marriage Of True Minds', so far four years in the making, sees Daniel and Schmidt moving beyond the sound of creatures or surgery for their sonic palette. Instead, they used the minds of composers, comrades and the occasional scribe - including your humble narrator - through a series of psychic experiments. In these experiments Drew attempts, under 'psientific conditions', to transmit the concept of the new album into their subject's mind. The band then record the perceived messages heard, and at least attempt to use those as a basis for composing pieces."

"However, the outcome of these experiments are still uncertain, as Schmidt and Daniel continue to examine to actually make this behemoth of an idea work. The Quietus caught up with the duo as they waxed lyrical about the new album, synthesisers, noise warehouses, Throbbing Gristle, and upsetting modern occultists with their non-committal commitment to psychic research."

read http://thequietus.co...e-of-true-minds

That said I really like this bit:

You don't want to feed it to them in a 'leading the witness' way, you just have this longing to transmit. And I think sometimes in a romantic relationship it's the same. I think telepathy seems like a way to turn that into theatre or spectacle but also a scientific experiment. I like the push/pull between things that look like magic and things that look like science. And being an artist or musician we're sort of permitted to play with that ambiguity

You don't 'throw someone a gauntlet,' you 'throw down the gauntlet,' as you thow your chain mail glove to the ground when it's fuckin' on. 'Examine' needs a direct object; you can't just 'continue to examine,' period. You examine something. Also, "synthesiser'?

Awesome that they did some work at my alma mater, Haverford! w00t!

I don't think it matters much if I do or don't believe in telepathy. Maybe that's a cop-out, but I think getting hung up on the proof or disproof seems circular. That's the way the game is played in our culture: kooks and believers on the fringes do experiments that verify their beliefs, and then cold empirical rationalists and debunkers reconfirm the tracks on which our society runs. And nobody really is threatened by that cycle, everyone is comfortable with it.

I have no idea what this means.

Now that you're actually involved in conducting psychic experiments of your own, how do you feel about the magical potential in what you're doing?

DD: There's a certain bracketing of that. I got into an interesting argument about the album with Stephen Thrower, who was a member of Coil. He was saying 'Why don't you take the scientific aspect of what you're doing more seriously? You really could prove or disprove something here. Why don't you stop making art and really dig into proving something?' We argued about it back and forth, but I put my cards on the table: what I'm trying to do is create something out of this situation rather than to analyse it, in order to say 'Yes, these forces do exist' or 'No, they do not', because there have already been plenty of people who do that, and are frankly better scientists that I.

We're very strict about the conditions always being exactly the same; we're repeating an experiment, but, the framework is in order to make art. An experimental setting grants the context for a certain kind of content to appear and that content is going to help us to create music.

But you don't invest one way or another in whether or not it is in fact psychic?

DD: No, I guess I'm being coy about that...

Then what's the point? This makes the whole 'psychic/telepathy' concept sound like a total gimmick. 'I don't care if it's true or not, if it says anything about the mind or paranormal phenomena ... I just want to make art, man ... .' Then why not just record yourselves on the shitter and be done with it? Why telepathy rather than anything else, if it doesn't much matter that you're doing specifically telepathy, at all? If there's no point to it being that approach rather than some other, then why do it in the first place?

Fuckin' artists.

Well, he isn't saying that the approach is irrelevant, he's saying decidinf from the dichotomy of scientific proof vs spiritual conviction is irrelevant to the aesthetic experience. Or something. And somehow it costs no less than $60 to buy their new two track 12" (+techno remix, thanks) complete with a pair of headphones (cool thanks), goggles (mega thanks), a signed piece of paper (turbo thanks) and a sticker (hyper thanks)!!! And if you want especially lush headphones you're gonna have to dust off your $90 bills.

So, I think he just means lol johns hopkins 400 year old European literature homosexuality bjork $400 spring reverb lol suckers art.

I don't think it matters much if I do or don't believe in telepathy. Maybe that's a cop-out, but I think getting hung up on the proof or disproof seems circular. That's the way the game is played in our culture: kooks and believers on the fringes do experiments that verify their beliefs, and then cold empirical rationalists and debunkers reconfirm the tracks on which our society runs. And nobody really is threatened by that cycle, everyone is comfortable with it.

I have no idea what this means.

i can appreciate what is being said here. no offense to you encey. i believe this is stating that we as human beings, tend to come from far to linear a standpoint. we deem ourselves to be the answers and the questions so to speak, when in reality we are neither. we continue, entombed within this cycle and we seem to have no issue with working as slaves to its system, intoxicate by the intellectual process of our search. all the while, surrounded, plain as day, by the answers, which will only be understood when we start to us the language they are being spoken in

what's too bad is that Matmos is still using Ganzfeld (a form of natural psyschedelic altered state) in the realm of 70s hippy dippy parapsychology bullshit instead of just a very powerful natural altered state of concioussness. Luckily if you just ignore all the hippy dippy intro to ghostbusters psychological quakery ganzfeld is still extremely interesting

what's too bad is that Matmos is still using Ganzfeld (a form of natural psyschedelic altered state) in the realm of 70s hippy dippy parapsychology bullshit instead of just a very powerful natural altered state of concioussness. Luckily if you just ignore all the hippy dippy intro to ghostbusters psychological quakery ganzfeld is still extremely interesting

you don't know what theyre doing

their tribute to Burroughs was pretty fucking awesome

you don't know what theyre doing

really? because i saw them play essentially their album and ep live in SF 1 year ago

• 5 months later...

Just saw em live last night, it was more inclusive of fhe whole discography than i was expecting. Lipostudio and for the trees were amazing. I think the album is great, I don't think an aversion to hippy dippy bullshit should completely turn you off of it. But if it has, they *also* have a new tape out, a longform experimental synth jam on each side. Its called "in tempo di carestia ogni buco e na galleria", and I dunno I might prefer it to the album. Cause the beats are cool and all on the album, but nothing beat the 13 minute craziness of all those layered voices on just waves, off the ganzfeld. The tape isnt exactly like that, but its worth looking for if you're into the sort of thing. But if you want some matmosy matmos jams aith beats and shit, what are you doing, the album is out, go buy it cause its good.

Archived