IGNORED

WATMM DJ THREAD

J3FF3R00

Hey guys.

I could have sworn there was already a thread about this, but I searched the shit out of it and couldn't find anything.

If anyone finds it, feel free to have a mod merge or delete this.

I just wanted to get a gauge on how you all DJ out there.

For me, I still buy (jungle... strictly old school, of course) 12"s but I sold 2 of my 3 1200s years ago, so I don't practice at home anymore. I'd like to get back into it, but I get the feeling nobody spins vinyl at legit spots anymore.

I actually was quite gifted at it at one point.

If anyone cares to give me the lowdown on the new school of dj knowledge, I'd be all ears.

I've gone to a few DNB nights and it seems like they mix exclusively on CD decks. Big time guests, too!

Anyway, I figured it would be cool to have a place to talk about your gear, tricks, styles and opinions on the DJ tip.

Kick it DJ _______ <-- your username here

I've played vinyl for about 8 years, first on beltdrives and later on 2 very trustworthy Vestax PDX2000's.

Made the switch to Traktor about 2 years ago.

Run it on a laptop that has a Profire 610 connected to it, the 4 stereo outs go to a Xone 42, then I've got a Korg Nanokontrol, a BCR2000 and a Ion controller to do transport controls, browsing, loading, effects, looping, etc.

I've spent ages making mappings that I like but I feel it's worth it, I can do about anything I want live without having to think too much about it, play out quite a lot so it's good to be confident enough to take some risks in a club environment.

Mostly play techno/minimal/house but it varies slightly from time to time, try to distinguish myself a bit by playing unexpected things, using loops, etc. but that's what playing with Traktor is about as far as I'm concerned.

Don't really know too much about the new school?

Never got used to playing with CD decks, I'm still absolutely fine playing with vinyl but CDJ's have always felt slightly akward to me but that's probably just because I haven't spent that much time on them.

I like playing a vinyl set from time to time but when using digital files it'll always be Traktor for me.

I've played vinyl for about 8 years, first on beltdrives

I started on really crappy old belt drives back in the day. I was constantly riding the pitch to keep the speed constant, while mixing.

Once I go on 1200s, it was like a breeze.

Lots of told threads like this, which died quite quickly every time. I use old Traktor version with a shitty Behringer BCD 3000 und play beats to it with a MPD. Want to get a new controller and make personal mappings to use all the crazy sampling stuff in the recent Traktor versions.

Lots of told threads like this, which died quite quickly every time.

... that didn't show up in the search function :cerious:

Still no answer to my question. I need decks, someone advise me

If you can get a pair of 1200s for under $1200, that's a pretty decent deal. Try and do better if you can tho.

My mixer is super old. I wouldn't know about that. Definitely invest in some good styluses for the tables. That will run you at least another $200.

I get a DJ gig here and there. The last one was at a movie projection in a garden that is also a bar. Nice place. Used to work there. I even earned some little money.

There are not many opportunities to play ambient/"idm"/90s ambient techno/mashup. Even nowadays. It's all dubstep, reggae, techno/house or funk.

My DJ name is Lukimura.

I use Traktor. Yeah, fuck you.

I love DJing.

Started in 1999 with a pair of crappy belt drives, got hooked, upgraded to some Numark's and a simple mixer. Went to uni, joined the DJ society, did a bunch of club nights playing house/techno stuff.

Never really progressed to the whole digital DJ thing, still very much a vinyl junky, I buy second hand stuff at sales and the occasional new stuff.

Got loads of progressive house from the 2000 - 2004 era, some techno from around then too, recently bough more dub techno / IDM / noise stuff that I am more interested in listening too rather than what I would play out.

Not done a "live" gig in about 6 years now, which I really miss, would love to get back into it one day. Would say I was fairly good at blending techno / house tracks no problem. Might record a new mix soon if I can sort out the grounding issues on my mixer.

Still no answer to my question. I need decks, someone advise me

Get technics 1200s / 1210s, no issue.

• 8 months later...

does anyone here use novation dicers?

i'm thinking about buying a pair maybe but they seem to be aimed at scratching. i just mix, and i don't use cue points...

still would be cool to loop bits ?

• 3 years later...

In the beginning there was Yekk and and Yekk had a groove

And from this groove came the groove of all grooves

Yekk is the one who gives you the power to Yekk your body!

Usually Traktor + controller (GBs of music available (+internets!), fx fun, Link for jamming with other tings etc.), sometimes vinyls records at homes (these sound spesh in the right circumstances and are fun to touch and you can choose which ones to play by smell only etc.), occasionally CDjays (such convenience, only need to bring an universal serial bus stick and you're sorted, etc.).

They've all got upsides & downsides.

• 2 weeks later...

So last year I finally purchased some new decks, after my aged Numark's finally packed up.

Really happy with these Pioneers (PLX1000), just as good as a Technics 1210 (imo), with added +/-50% pitch control.

The DJm350 mixer is really good too, solid build and has a few digital effects to play with.

1458123623_8271.jpg

Archived