IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Guest disoriental express

because they released one of the best albums of the nineties?

I guess i just don't get it. :biggrin:

Seems like there are approximately 10 trillion bands doing the same exact thing. But anyways, don't wanna step on any toes. Just curious.

juqKc.gif

everyone knows all the good 90s albums are by sean & rob.

Edited by Guest

why is MBV so hyped?

Yeah I'm not so confused about that as I am that it seems like everyone on watmm is in love with this album. Seriously every watmmer I have on facebook has mentioned this album. It's really confusing considering the nature of this website.

I guess i just don't get it. :biggrin:

Seems like there are approximately 10 trillion bands doing the same exact thing. But anyways, don't wanna step on any toes. Just curious.

they have a very large cult following because as far as i understand were one of the first 'shoe gaze' bands. I never got into the genre much myself but a lot of the goth-ish music fans i know are heavily into them

why is MBV so hyped?

Yeah I'm not so confused about that as I am that it seems like everyone on watmm is in love with this album. Seriously every watmmer I have on facebook has mentioned this album. It's really confusing considering the nature of this website.

it's not confusing when you think back to all the other non-electronic music watmm is into. We are proto pitchfork hipster here.

why is MBV so hyped?

Because BOC likes em. :cerious:

why is MBV so hyped?

Very simple - they pushed the boundary of sonic and structural experimentation and led many of us to seek more extreme music. The "shoegaze" bands merely aped their effects chain with mostly boring results, but the really subversive thing MBV did was to release shattered, warped bits of pop songs which were very broken but worked beautifully anyway. If you haven't heard them, listen to the tracks Glider, Touched, To Here Knows When, sueisfine, Several Girls Galore, Cupid Come, etc., and try to imagine how weird they were in the C86/Smiths/REM indie pop world of the late 80s. Nowadays I get my thrills from drone, electronica, black metal and minimalism, but these stream in a direct line from Isn't Anything and Loveless blowing the doors open. So they will always get a pass from me. Just like Kraftwerk or Eric B and Rakim.

Loveless rules! Pavement + cough syrup! Go ahead punch me in the face! *wears Chucks and prescription-less glasses*

Also, I like Metro Station.

mbv & autechre are my 2 favorite bands of all time. i don't think it's so strange to be into both. i'm quite sure they both were an influence on boc as well.

this new mbv album has eased my exai fever for a bit. given me something else to absorb & obsess over while i wait for exai to dropp.

those here who haven't heard any mbv, give Loveless & the Tremolo EP a spin. just give it a few listens & some time to sink in before you write them off forever.

There shouldn't be a debate over the quality of MBV's back catalogue period, nevermind in an Exai thread. Once I had my initial IDM fever, I fell back on other music I liistened to a lot before, including MBV, and it's clearly no less sophisitcated or esoteric than this weird electronic music we post about here. Also, this "IDM" stuff only makes MORE sense when you listen to a wide variety of other things. It gives it some actual context and shows what a unique melting pot of influences it can be at its best. So for the skeptics, listen to MBV's older albums and EPs. It's sexy. Education, son.