IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Warp should release the "next" Aphex Twin in the same way MBV did. The amount of discussion revolving around the MBV album had much wider impact than had it been announced and then secretly leaked weeks before release. And put the whole album up on youtube. So casual music consumers can legally try out the album as they are seeing positive reviews filling up their facebook/networks. Samples are retarded with "edgier" music for casual music consumers I imagine. Think about how Drukqs would sound in sample format.

Edited by compson

please god bleep release this today

That'd be 1 month prior to release, so yes, come on Bleep, you've played with our nerves enough already.

But until that leaks, there is no reason for the to release it early + warp has other release to take care of (Darkstar, Jamie Lidell)

( on that note, I've always been a big fan of the bleep design, even during the warpmart days, but the 'new' one is just annoying, what's with the accordeon overlay on the other items ?)

This thread took a turn for the worse.

As opposed to repetitive complaints that you don't have a leak of Exai? Sorry for discussing music.

Hey, at least my complaints are relative to the topic of this thread. Go gaze at your shoes in the hippy thread over there Brandon Lee.

Very simple - they pushed the boundary of sonic and structural experimentation and led many of us to seek more extreme music. The "shoegaze" bands merely aped their effects chain with mostly boring results, but the really subversive thing MBV did was to release shattered, warped bits of pop songs which were very broken but worked beautifully anyway. If you haven't heard them, listen to the tracks Glider, Touched, To Here Knows When, sueisfine, Several Girls Galore, Cupid Come, etc., and try to imagine how weird they were in the C86/Smiths/REM indie pop world of the late 80s. Nowadays I get my thrills from drone, electronica, black metal and minimalism, but these stream in a direct line from Isn't Anything and Loveless blowing the doors open. So they will always get a pass from me. Just like Kraftwerk or Eric B and Rakim.

Totally agree with this - my two all time favourite albums are loveless and chiastic slide. They're both similar in that I got completely 'lost' in them. Both sounded nothing like anything else out there, abrasive and alien in places while at the same time being strangely 'catchy'. Both took quite a few listens to understand properly, and have almost infinite replay value.

Plus having a new, unexpected MBV album (that actually sounds far better than I expected given it's massive gestational period), means I'm jonesing slightly less for the new ae. 2013's got off to a good start, music-wise.