IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

The piled up hairpin turns in the first half are :psyduck:

Feels like you just beat the clock on screwball scramble the first time you keep up it with all the way through to the void of wormholes that is the second half.

Def one of the best tracks on there.

Dunno what are you on about, that background "melody" properly introduced around 1 min mark (not sure how to call it non-technically) is essential Ae experience, it's subtle, simple and busy. If it's stock Ae then name me that stockpile.

I don't buy into the aforesaid speculation, there's a transition to irlite, but irlite itself isn't demonstrative of the album, it feels like a very certain cell of it with its sandy percussion and live-feel progression and a close relative in bladelores.

You're confusing our posts. I said FLeure as a whole starts out sounding like stock AE (morphing crunchy beats, weird bleepy melody and noises, etc.) not the melody in particular. I love the melody, and for the record that Nautilus bass isn't even in the same star system as FLeure's. Yeah, they both swell and sort of hit the same basic form if you were to look at the MIDI files of each, but FLeure's bass is its own beast.

I'd say irlite is more representative than anything else on an album that's as diverse as Exai is. I definitely agree that it feels like a very close relative of bladelores.

FLeure as a whole starts out sounding like stock AE (morphing crunchy beats, weird bleepy melody and noises, etc.)

Fleure as a whole starts out sounding like stock music (sounds, rhythms, etc.)

(My point is that your parenthetical description doesn't explain to me what you mean by "stock AE", which I don't understand. Maybe you can pick another track from this "stock" and outline the similarities in more detail?)

Edited by Joseph

yep. there is still the element of "playing" and I think that's important.

yeah, I'm thinking more that they'd "play" it once, record all of the parameter tweaks in, and then the patch evolves the recorded tweaks each time. so there's still a live, ae-controlled element in there, it just gets more and more distorted over time..

That's exactly the kinda thing I would want. Not just textures but compositions with some algorithmic variation.

Also I agree w you that Fleure is underwhelming, though I like the 3rd act fadeout

yep. there is still the element of "playing" and I think that's important.

yeah, I'm thinking more that they'd "play" it once, record all of the parameter tweaks in, and then the patch evolves the recorded tweaks each time. so there's still a live, ae-controlled element in there, it just gets more and more distorted over time..

That's exactly the kinda thing I would want. Not just textures but compositions with some algorithmic variation.

Also I agree w you that Fleure is underwhelming, though I like the 3rd act fadeout

After reading your comment about fleure i hated you but i've listened to Banks for free and it made my day so you're forgiven

• 4 weeks later...

FLeure as a whole starts out sounding like stock AE (morphing crunchy beats, weird bleepy melody and noises, etc.)

Fleure as a whole starts out sounding like stock music (sounds, rhythms, etc.)

(My point is that your parenthetical description doesn't explain to me what you mean by "stock AE", which I don't understand. Maybe you can pick another track from this "stock" and outline the similarities in more detail?)

Eutow, Acroyear2, Lentic Catachresis, Dial., Fermium, Second Scepe, Flutter, Yeesland, Pencha, Tilapia, Liccflii. I could go on...

Similar details include higher frequency rhythms/hats/percussive hits often frequently changing patterns. Hip hop influenced grooves often at relatively higher BPMs (no, we're not talking Jungle territory, obviously), often featuring bleepy/percussive melodies that can seem random or abnormal, and often more 'normal' sounding pads or bass carrying more 'normal' melodies.

"Stock" doesn't mean that's all they do, or that it's boring, but that is sort of what they're known for.

recks on cofirmed 100% 10/10 track

I think you'll agree, it's a 10 guys

And hell yes to this. Such a great track.

• 4 months later...

this is a long topic, can anyone point me to the interesting pages?

I quite enjoyed the part where people were threatening to burn the Koran because Warp hadn't released the album yet despite it being less than two months until the album's actual release date (page 152).

Been a while since I read but I imagine the thread goes:

Announcement -> Speculation -> Rumours -> Initial hints and snippets -> Release/Pre-order -> Waiting -> Leaked -> Arrival -> Initial thoughts and pictures -> Post-album reviews -> Pointing to other reviews online -> In depth discussion -> Thoughts a little later -> Thoughts a lot later -> Today.

Announcement -> Speculation -> Rumours -> Initial hints and snippets -> Release/Pre-order -> Waiting -> Leaked -> Arrival -> Initial thoughts and pictures -> Post-album reviews -> Pointing to other reviews online -> In depth discussion -> Thoughts a little later -> Thoughts a lot later -> Today.

you missed the discussion about bullwallet

you missed the discussion about bullwallet

bullwalet was the best part! http://bullwalletversions.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...