Nine year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

i find it interesting that there's a bunch of us that revisited Exai latery and had fresh ears for it.

this album is really growing on me, it kind of fits into this summer, idk, maybe's just me

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

i find it interesting that there's a bunch of us that revisited Exai latery and had fresh ears for it.

this album is really growing on me, it kind of fits into this summer, idk, maybe's just me

it always fits though.. for me.. fckn timeless as it is. it's kind of a punctuation in some ways. i know it's just autechre being autechre but in some ways it's kind of another demarcation point or whatever. one of the releases in the discography that is a springboard.. preparing the listener for whatever is coming next w/ae releases. but that is only something that just came to mind so could be hindsight based on what i already have experienced in the releases that came after it. "wtf is an album anyways? here's L-Event and elseq.... and NTS and SIGN PLUS.. and..."

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

I think this album has become one of my favourites in their discography.

There have also been times where I was questioning whether this max msp heavy sound design was too limited, but it adds a very unique quality now, one that I think will date well. I also remember thinking that the melodies were kind of obscured in most tracks, but on a recent listen I was surprised by how all over the place they are? What the hell was I listening to? It's everything all at once: complex, simple, melodic, cryptic, melancholy, ecstatic, etc..

The second half of 'nodezsh' sounds like an overstimulated bird weaving through a blade runner-like city, neon lights scattering through the fog and smog. No other music tickles the brain this way.

Yeah, the way the drums start sparse and skeletal and then slowly start filling out the track in "nodezsh" is certainly a highlight of this album for me. "recks on" is a banger, similar in the way "V-Proc" is from Draft. "YJY UX" is one of my favorite album closers in their catalog.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, YELLOW said:

Yeah, the way the drums start sparse and skeletal and then slowly start filling out the track in "nodezsh" is certainly a highlight of this album for me. "recks on" is a banger, similar in the way "V-Proc" is from Draft. "YJY UX" is one of my favorite album closers in their catalog.

I may have already mentioned it before, but nodezsh reminds me of some of the music Elliot Goldenthal made for Demolition Man, the sparse percussion really tickles that. Fucking ace track.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 1:21 PM, oscillik said:

I may have already mentioned it before, but nodezsh reminds me of some of the music Elliot Goldenthal made for Demolition Man, the sparse percussion really tickles that. Fucking ace track.

In a similar-ish vein it reminds me of some of the wonkier bits from the T1 soundtrack e.g. the second half of this  -

• Like 1