IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

^I'm sure it's not just the two of us jader…maybe others will stand up and show themselves bravely.

I don't like the beat and vocal one

It's one of the middling tracks imo. A sometimes sort of thing. nodezsh/runrepik/deco Loc/recks on maybe could've been lumped together, a weirdo hip hop EP.

I wish I hadn't asked now

+1

aux I thought we had something hunny

You don't like NTS even a little so obviously we were never meant to be. :)

^ Yeah.

"Their new stuff is just loose, unedited jams" is the 2010s equivalent of "their new stuff is just pressing play on a random note generator" in the 2000s. If you look back in this thread you'll see the exact same criticisms thrown at Exai--except that I guess now everyone's realized that it's actually ridiculously detailed/deliberate?

I do think their newer material tends to have fewer discrete layers than on Draft, Untilted, etc. though. Now the complexity is more embedded in the sound design itself. I think they said in the AAA that the boundary between sound design and sequencing was kind of gone for them. So you have tracks like c7b2 or mesh cinereal where it's hard to mentally divide things into separate layers sound, but where there's actually a ton of crazy shit going on--or c16 deep tread where there's seemingly very few layers but lot of richness and morphology in many of the sounds.

Anyways that's my longwinded way of saying that their newer works (at least elseq, I haven't listened to nts much yet tbh) very much feel like "legitimate" releases to me.

yeah

^ Yeah.

"Their new stuff is just loose, unedited jams" is the 2010s equivalent of "their new stuff is just pressing play on a random note generator" in the 2000s. If you look back in this thread you'll see the exact same criticisms thrown at Exai--except that I guess now everyone's realized that it's actually ridiculously detailed/deliberate?

I do think their newer material tends to have fewer discrete layers than on Draft, Untilted, etc. though. Now the complexity is more embedded in the sound design itself. I think they said in the AAA that the boundary between sound design and sequencing was kind of gone for them. So you have tracks like c7b2 or mesh cinereal where it's hard to mentally divide things into separate layers sound, but where there's actually a ton of crazy shit going on--or c16 deep tread where there's seemingly very few layers but lot of richness and morphology in many of the sounds.

Anyways that's my longwinded way of saying that their newer works (at least elseq, I haven't listened to nts much yet tbh) very much feel like "legitimate" releases to me.

I agree with you completely. I don't really care how a track is made - and I think we can't really know how AE produces his stuff. There is some subtle change of sound and structures in the newer stuff, but I don't think that would mean lesser quality. This change is very hard to grasp, and I mostly think it's based only on a different approach on musical time. Not just that the tracks are longer: that's only the result. But how to build up stuff, how to fill time. To be able to create miniatures: composing short peaces with a lot of stuff going on is not much harder than composing elaborate peaces that fill more time with musical material. Autechre was not only exploring sounds ever since, but exploring compositional methods too. Just like they tried to make rhythmically complex pieces without drums (Oversteps).

So. Elseq and NTS sound perhaps different as Draft but that's not bad. That's necessery. That's good. That's Autechre.

I love every song on both discs.

This was the album that got me back into AE after Untilted. I didn't really click with Quaristice or Oversteps until about a year after EXAI was released.

It made me fall in love with them all over again.

For a few years this was my favorite Autechre album, and I have great memories with every single track.

=P

T ess xi

with you on that one.

i love T ess xi. i rmember the first time i listened to exai I waa playing super loud while driving on backwoods roads and the way the melody tranforms into that repeating otherworldly shimmering harmony was one of those burning bush moments

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to Exai yesterday. First time in a while. Been stuck in elseq and NTS land. Exai is so fucking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to it on friday. First time to the japanese version, with 9 tracks on each CD. I felt it more complete: YJY UX is an epic closer, with a great sense of a finale, but I feel at this length is good, if the album has a postlude to calm down, an to reflect to all that happended: and 18 (keyosc) just does this excellently. Such a great album.

Edited by Chabraendeky

Exai is awesome, and was soooo underrated by many people at first... Since "Exai" AE music takes again more time to be fully appreciated.

Elseq is awesome too...and NTS Sessions too. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Edited by Pholant

• 6 months later...

Exai is awesome, and was soooo underrated by many people at first... Since "Exai" AE music takes again more time to be fully appreciated.

Elseq is awesome too...and NTS Sessions too. :beer: :beer: :beer:

don't forget L-event! tac lacora is probs my most listened to ae track by now.. it is so intense

who knew fart noises could evoke such emotions?

I remember when this came out and it felt like a huge album that I would be listening over and over again to be able to take it fully in. Oh, those sweet days of innocence.

Haha so true, felt like we had a a year's worth of fantastic material to familiarise ourselves with...and that it was and plenty.

Whereas now it is a mere NTS Session in length, a good ol' compact studio album.