IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

excited for the new ae album.

...but dreading the new tdr artwork. their recent work for autechre has been absolute crap.

last good ae cover was draft.

Edited by digit

I'd be lying if I said I didn't love both the music and artwork of all Ae albums from at least Chiastic Slide through Oversteps inclusive to death. The chance of me disliking this new album is a impossibly infinitessimal fraction of a higgs boson. Quaristice and Oversteps were incredible albums, they're always doing new things, it's always a reinvention of self coupled with overflowing creativity.

Once I get my copy, I'm going to listen after smoking some space weed and inhaling a bunch of nitrous, get myself far out into space and visit an exoplanet or two in my mind with my favourite musical group's music taking me there.

BTW, it did occur to me whether "new album" can really be taken as an LP of new material coming out?

i.e. could it actually mean boxed set of LPs as Warp have done with the EPs (meh and, if the artwork's anything like the EP set, we should know in a few days time) or could it mean a boxed set of live recordings (YES PLEASE) or whatever?

Not to say that I don't think a NEW album is coming, I think it is, but there's always a possibility we're being lead down the garden path.

Guest the anonymous forumite

I don't believe there's any reason to think their work will decline.

It's still really good, but for me Quaristice was the turning point (or, arguably Untilted). Though I think Oversteps is better than either of those (sue me). The run from Tri Repetae through Draft was just incredible, for any artist. Hard not to see it as a long, sustained peak of creativity and productivity.

Anyhoo. Sorry I'll shut up. I am excite, too. I do believe they will always drop something surprisingly awesome from time to time, like the incredible live stuff...

100% with you on this one. I'm actually glad to have found someone who thinks the same as i do. The turning point was clearly Untilted. We had some great moments since then, but the quality of earlier AE (lp5, EP7, confield, draft) is on another level.

Guest the anonymous forumite

aedayone.jpg

This is actually super cool. I'd respect them so much if they had the balls (and the humour) to do something like that.

LP11.

I hope it doesn't sound selfish, but I really hope there's an accompanying EP, just like with all the other albums. That's always the [good] icing on the cake. I don't really think they can go too wrong with tDR artwork either. The minimalist with a wonky twist style works quite well and isn't ever too much to take in.

As for the Oversteps discussion, it's certainly not an album I feel will net them more fans, but it's a good album that's very cohesive. It does drag on a bit at parts though.

Edit: I am excite.

Edited by Xyrofen

btw doods.. WARP isn't going to release anything in 2013 because they're triskaidekaphobic.

their were few exceptions made over the years, but a bunch of catalogue numbers were skipped due to number 13 being unlucky.

WAP013, WAP113, WAP131, WAP213, WARP013, WARP113, WARP213... all unused.

Edited by vincentvc

I want an album of hard hitting stuff like ts1a. I love Oversteps and the ambience is great but I'm ready for some beats.

Also would love an accompanying EP and a digital archive of some of their live soundboards. One can dream

I want an album of hard hitting stuff like ts1a. I love Oversteps and the ambience is great but I'm ready for some beats.

Me too ! I would like to hear something from the draft era , and not something ongoing like oversteps,maybe something like

Etchogon-S

I don't believe there's any reason to think their work will decline.

It's still really good, but for me Quaristice was the turning point (or, arguably Untilted). Though I think Oversteps is better than either of those (sue me). The run from Tri Repetae through Draft was just incredible, for any artist. Hard not to see it as a long, sustained peak of creativity and productivity.

Anyhoo. Sorry I'll shut up. I am excite, too. I do believe they will always drop something surprisingly awesome from time to time, like the incredible live stuff...

100% with you on this one. I'm actually glad to have found someone who thinks the same as i do. The turning point was clearly Untilted. We had some great moments since then, but the quality of earlier AE (lp5, EP7, confield, draft) is on another level.

Disagree with you guys on Untilted being the turning point because I enjoyed it Quaristice more than both Confield and Draft. Untilted was definitely subpar, but that didn't bug me when it came out because it sounded fresh and it still sounded like Autechre. For the most part I can't say that about the 2010 shit; it is very patchy to my ears.

I do believe that they have been prioritizing optimization of the creative process over doing things that produce interesting results since Untilted, though. So in that sense I would agree that Untilted is a turning point of sorts, just not quite one completely for the worse yet at that point.

I guess on Quaristice this actually worked nicely for me, probably because those live jams were worn down into their best, core components after months of touring, like stones smoothed in the river. In other words there was still just as much hard work involved, but this was done concurrently with, and as part of, on-stage improvisation & experimentation. I'd love to hear more of this kind of process.