Edit: @Nebraska

Speaking of which: I still gotta see the Hateful Eight

(Wait, that's the Tarantino one and not the Adam Sandler one, right?)

But the reason I said 'maybe maybe maybe' was because I haven't seen The Great Wall nor the last 2/3rds of The Last Samurai, and so I don't know, but I do know that decent screenwriters and directors tend to be heavily into culture and tradition, and so draw upon traditional forms and archetypes.

Perhaps even the entire conceit of film/drama itself is predicated on these traditional forms and archetypes (I don't know); but (e.g.) the whole protagonist/antagonist thing isn't a wheel that anyone seems keen to reinvent.

Cheers

I'm an unreasonable man, get on my case

Edited by LimpyLoo

The Invitation - bloke and bird lose a son then seperate, bird invites him over to meet new fella two years later after they have been living in Mexico, sort of like Coherence but with added Cult rip off. The interesting thing is that the bloke from Prometheus is in in this one, and wait for it, he's not just a studio puppet and underplays the role rather well. 

Americansaresoforward/10

Edit: @Nebraska

Speaking of which: I still gotta see the Hateful Eight

(Wait, that's the Tarantino one and not the Adam Sandler one, right?)

But the reason I said 'maybe maybe maybe' was because I haven't seen The Great Wall nor the last 2/3rds of The Last Samurai, and so I don't know, but I do know that decent screenwriters and directors tend to be heavily into culture and tradition, and so draw upon traditional forms and archetypes.

Perhaps even the entire conceit of film/drama itself is predicated on these traditional forms and archetypes (I don't know); but (e.g.) the whole protagonist/antagonist thing isn't a wheel that anyone seems keen to reinvent.

Cheers

I'm an unreasonable man, get on my case

yes hateful eight is Tarantino. didn't even know Sandler had a Western.

in regards to your comment about the great Wall: you may be very correct. I think I'm what some would call 'a hater' so I tend to judge things a little more critical

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

in regards to your comment about the great Wall: you may be very correct. I think I'm what some would call 'a hater' so I tend to judge things a little more critical

I'm trying to re-tune myself to not be so critical

Because (as you might've noticed) I used to be quite a negative jerk

And as a result it pulled me and everyone around me down

I was basically Shit Midas and everything I touched turned to shit

Still Walking (2008)

i highly recommend people watch some of Hirokazu Kore-eda's films. i don't think i've seen him mentioned round these parts and he is easily one of my favourite directors.

silence - if you like kundun and the the last temptation of christ then you will like it. some people who don't like those movies would like it, too. it's a good one

john wick - acceptable mind-tranquilizer

the untouchables - impressive cinematography, locations, sets... cool scenes, pretty well done (de palma). would've been a top tier movie if the story had more depth to it. as it is it's just really good

Edited by very honest

Moonlight - 10000/10

can you tell me what you enjoyed about that film? I tried watching it and can't even finish it. I find it almost like a TV movie.

Moonlight - come give a brother some love! And maybe some tears while your at it. 

Couple in a hole - companion piece to the Invitation - how grief is dealt with in Europe, we just leave our lives and go to live in the French Pyrenees, just ask Richard Stanley.  

Moonlight - 10000/10

can you tell me what you enjoyed about that film? I tried watching it and can't even finish it. I find it almost like a TV movie.

I LOVED the soundtrack, I loved Mahershala Ali, I wanted to give the main character a hug, I loved the cinematography and lighting , and I loved Naomi Harris' performance.

La La Land - Really well acted and really amazing cinematography, but apart from that it's neither a good story nor a good musical... At some points I was like, this is a musical, how long has it been since the last number? Which weren't really memorable either, the best one being the first one. And after Whiplash I was expecting better character development and a better story... Definitely doesnt live up to the hype

Well I just came back from La La Land as well and I was pleasantly surprised - wasn't expecting this at all, the end of the movie gives it an all different tone imo. Cried like a baby and now the soundtrack's giving me goosebumps. I'll be probably like a ton of other boys the newt few weeks, trying to learn how to play the opening track on the piano to get chicks :emotawesomepm9:

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Strange to see these characters going at such a different pace from the frenetic first film. There was something just a little bit off about it, it meandered a bit. The flashes of brilliance were in no short supply though, so i can forgive the gaps in narrative and the difference in pace for a film which delivers such a visually rich canvas, an ode to it's past but moreso a basker in it's own very self aware history

I loved Mahershala Ali, 

was that the crack dealer? i wanted to like him, but i felt like he didn't last long enough for me to connect with. i really liked the main character in the beginning but not in his awkward teen stage. 

and i agree with you: the lighting was amazing. i guess the story didn't do much for me

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Strange to see these characters going at such a different pace from the frenetic first film. There was something just a little bit off about it, it meandered a bit. The flashes of brilliance were in no short supply though, so i can forgive the gaps in narrative and the difference in pace for a film which delivers such a visually rich canvas, an ode to it's past but moreso a basker in it's own very self aware history

Danny Boyle directed it?

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Danny Boyle directed it?

no.

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Danny Boyle directed it?

no.

Yes.

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10

Danny Boyle directed it?

no.

Yes.

Mmm Skyscraper...I love you

yes, I have a lot of love for Boyle but Trance was such a weird mess and I couldn't be effed with Slumdog. it's good to hear that T2 is doing well though, I'll definitely be seeing it soon.