oh no.

It sounds like they're doing the right thing with the spin-off. It stars Benecio del Toro and Josh Brolin and the soundtrack is by Hildur Gudnadottir who is a frequent collaborator with Johann Johannsson and her solo stuff is pretty fucking amazing.

The American Astronaut - WOAH! Coming at you like a Cowboy Junkies gig in monochrome set in a bar in the wild west but with space ships. It's Sin City set in space and with imagination replacing a mega Hollywood budget. 

Somehow something's going to steal your carbon/10

Sicario - unexpectedly decent, if a bit slow and meandering at times. Unusual ending. Great score by Johannsson!

There's already a spinoff, Soldado coming later this year.

Sounds good!

Goksung (The Wailing) 8/10

Good flick. Though I couldn't help feeling there was a fine little gem of a slapstick comedy, a la Mr. Vampire, hiding beneath a slightly drawn out horror film. Kwak do won kills it as the sweet but gormless cop, Jong-Goo.

The way he acts in the first quarter of the film is pure gold. You'd think he'd just wandered onto the set from some other film, and I could have happily watched him navigate in this fashion for the duration.

The zany antics of Jong-Goo include:

-Wussing out big time with a colleague at the police station during a thunderstorm.

-Almost getting busted by his 8 year old daughter whilst having sex in the backseat of a car.

-Arriving late at a crime scene (using his mother in law as an excuse) then just wandering around uselessly before wussing out as soon as things start to kick off, leaving his colleagues to deal with it.

-Now delegated to guarding a crime scene, Jong-Goo and his chum hang around outside, not even bothering to do anything about a girl further down the road chucking rocks at them. A couple of scenes later, chum now absent, Jong-Goo is perched on a rickety chair, chilling on his smartphone, surrounded by rocks.

-After being scolded by a superior for arriving late again (now using his daughter as an excuse) general uselessness and not washing the police car properly, the dynamic duo proceed to drive out to a scenic riverside spot to chill and read the paper.

-Whilst interviewing a witness, Jong-Goo and chum begin discussing amongst themselves whether or not adults can wear diapers. Jong-Goo then deftly rounds off the scene by asking the witness for an address of somewhere out in the middle of a forest.

-During a visit to said forest, Jong-Goo causes the witness to tumble down a hill where he is subsequently struck by lightning.

Broke down and bought The Raid collection on blu-ray after waiting for the Raid 2 to appear on Netflix. Even more brutal than the first and the best martial arts action flick I've seen since the original Ong Bak. 

Thank you Indonesia/10

Broke down and bought The Raid collection on blu-ray after waiting for the Raid 2 to appear on Netflix. Even more brutal than the first and the best martial arts action flick I've seen since the original Ong Bak. 

Thank you Indonesia/10

...you've never seen the protector?

or kung fu hustle?

Seen both and enjoyed both but enjoyed both Raids more than either. Chocolate was another one I really enjoyed. Speaking of the Protector (not starring Tony Jaa), since I was on a kung fu kick when I bought the raid collection I bought an 8 film collection of Jackie Chan films off amazon for $4. Since it had Police Story 1 and 2 included it was an instant buy for me. One of the films in the 8 was called the protector, which I had never seen before and was surprisingly good despite being incredibly dated. I guess when it comes to martial arts flicks I put stunts and fight scenes before storylines, which is why Chan is my favorite. In his prime, knowing everything he did and all the injuries he suffered to give the viewer authentic action is why I will always hold him in the highest regard.

weird. i thought the fights in protector (to clarify i was talking about jaa's) were better than anything i saw in either raid. like that first flying knee really sets the pace.

plus the 45 minute bone breaking scene at the end.

the raids certainly had the style and hyper violence and i guess i knew that's what i was getting into, but i overall found the choreography to be a bit dull. i'm a bad martial arts fan though and have never seen most of the chan classics except for drunken master. mostly just seen his american shit. if you haven't seen the medallion, i can't recommend it highly enough. the movie is fucking HILARIOUS.

i just started going back through the nolan batman movies earlier this week by watching batman begins. was surprised at just how dated and corny it felt (it's the one i've seen by far the least). i seem to remember that dark knight was amazing on initial viewing but noticing some jarring editing/pacing on repeat views. 

of course now i just want to watch old kung fu movies or show someone who's never seen it, kung fu hustle (so i have an excuse to watch it again)

new film by David Michod coming out on Netflix in May (excuse shitty trailer):

McMahon's based on Stanley McChrystal. I rate Michod highly, looking forward to this.

Edited by usagi

McMahon's based on Stanley McChrystal. I rate Michod highly, looking forward to this.

"Funny" Brad Pitt is the worst Brad Pitt. Kinda like George Clooney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Jg20Ukf4E

"Funny" Brad Pitt is the worst Brad Pitt. Kinda like George Clooney.

tumblr_inline_mgl277zank1qc9lhz.gif

Rings (2016) - really bad.  The producers must have thought they were really edgy by having Samara come out of an iPhone, and totally blew what could have been more modern by having it themed around VR, that would have been infinitely more interesting.

Rings (2016) - really bad.  The producers must have thought they were really edgy by having Samara come out of an iPhone, and totally blew what could have been more modern by having it themed around VR, that would have been infinitely more interesting.

Do you mean watching the movie in VR or having the characters wear VR? Seeing someone wearing an Oculus Rift screaming doesn't sound that scary. And there are not enough VR headsets out in the wild for the movie to be successful had it been VR exclusive. 

maybe they could've set it in the 80s/90s and exploited the (vhs) nostalgia for what it's worth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe they could've set it in the 80s/90s and exploited the (vhs) nostalgia for what it's worth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This would've been worth it if they could've gotten a VHS Head soundtrack!

Do you mean watching the movie in VR or having the characters wear VR? Seeing someone wearing an Oculus Rift screaming doesn't sound that scary. And there are not enough VR headsets out in the wild for the movie to be successful had it been VR exclusive. 

I mean, have the kids passing around a VR clip like on thumb drives or something, and you watch whatever on it, more engaging for the audience, then maybe she comes after you in real life, or you hallucinate and can't tell what's VR and what's not, etc.  But still hanging onto the same old VHS tape (I know, for story's sake) seemed far fetched, as was shopping for broken down VCRs, when they haven't experienced the same renaissance that audio tape has.  That's my fan script, and I'll sell it to the highest bidder lol