i thought Guardians of the Galaxy (1) was one of the better marvel/super hero films in recent times, though i haven't returned to it since i saw it in the cinema and don't plan to.

Get Out - Jordan Peele did a great job on this, I liked the multiple layers of social commentary combined with dark humor. And you can't go wrong with Stephen Root.

Get Out - Jordan Peele did a great job on this, I liked the multiple layers of social commentary combined with dark humor. And you can't go wrong with Stephen Root.

Get Outta Here! Remind me to never visit my girlfriend's white parents in an affluent suburban cultural void.

the great wall - modern china scares me. there's just something very cynical about this, there's not even pretense or any hints that they were trying to make some kind of passable movie here. it's just complete, irredeemable garbage, a scientifically state-produced produced imitation of hollywood tropes for profit maximization and a commercial for china ("look! we're doing awesome movies with matt damon, we're basically a cool country!). i mean obviously hollywood pulls this strictly-for-cash stuff too, but it's kinda more transparent about it, more self aware and maybe even ashamed in some way. this one is just much more nasty somehow, probably because it's just so calculated and focused with its goals to shove this shit for the masses (and i'd guess it's mostly the chinese masses). it's basically a form of elaborate state propaganda, a sense dulling, expensive and flashy entertainment with precisely zero content that will challenge the viewers intellectually in some way.

China is a good country. They oppress their citizens but it's mostly Asians, so it's okay (I'm racist). They invest a lot into green energy these days and they build high performance computers that are much better than the American ones. They don't practice so much protectionism. And they have this unstoppable trinity: Daoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, which gives them basically super powers. And they don't hate Jews. I wonder how future will look like. Europe is the most powerful economic and military force in the world these days, America will become weaker and weaker and China gets more and more power. What food will people in the year 2100 eat? Donuts, Baguette or Rice? Will there be war? Will China democratize? Hehehe

Film I recently watched: "The Signal" - very mediocre. Story was very bad but camera and light was okay. Can't recommend

Mad Max Fury Road. A part of me would have loved to see Mel Gibson return but otherwise this is still great. What's the game like?

a dark song - like all films this one was mostly crap. a big portion of the duration is about a torturous preparation for an occult ritual that is supposed to fulfill some wishes that the two main characters aren't really truthful about with each other. it is an interesting idea for a film, but all of the occult elements are half assed, an incoherent and shallow mishmash of all kinds of mythologies, practices, texts and symbols that never amount to something actually engrossing or even interesting. [some spoilers ahead] and so when the horror elements kick in they also don't make much sense as there was no grounding logic of some kind for them happening in the way they were happening, sometimes it's creepy voices or sounds, other times it's jump scares or some telekinetic stuff or other shit randomly thrown in...there is an 10-15 minute windows towards the end of the film where i thought it snapped to something rather interesting and somewhat comical, as the main character becomes tired, disillusioned and hopeless about the whole process and the chances for success despite weird shit happening with even more intensity, the "-I'm just some cunt using your son's voice to make you afraid. -I know." was both hilarious and disturbing, and it's pretty much the only great scene in the film.

of course the tiny budget makes all of it look pretty cheap, the beings that were supposed to be demons(i guess?) looked just like some bums whom someone painted for a prank. it's like all those younger directors don't seem to fucking get it - if you don't have enough cash - don't bother with supernatural and abnormal that requires decent special effects/make up. some of the sound and music was actually alright, but again, very incoherent in quality and effect. succ.

Edited by eugene

^ I watched that the other day and agree that the scene with the boy's voice was the thing that most approached being scary. other than that it was a bit too low-budget (no fault of its own). nice mood though. score was good.

edit: on the other hand, not all low-budget horror of the same rough category is worthless, I saw Baskin a while ago and liked it.

Edited by usagi

i thought the scene where she sees a man in silhouette smoking in a big chair was effectively creepy. weird movie, the director obviously knew how to use sound design and visuals to create surreal horror but only employed it one or two times in the movie. it didn't help that the action in the movie was totally incoherent and, as you said, the people in the walls or whatever were laughable. also the idea of the god at the end was cool but the execution was pretty bad. i admired it as a movie though...how many horror films can actually be classified as cosmic horror? not many.

Extortion ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2957760/ ) this was actually a lot better than I anticipated. It doesn't have any depth or anything but it was just a little surprising in how well it managed all through. For a kind of boring day I guess. 

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - great first half, thought the suspense and mystery was great, then it went to shit second half

Get Out - Loved this, kind of similar to Jane Doe with the mystery / suspense, but then I didn't like the very end for some reason, too explanatory or 'tidy' or whatever

The Bye Bye Man - Again well executed, but then ending is debatable again

In general I like the ideas and execution of recent movies but then they always have to put on some mechanism for how it all happened, and I tune out. Don't make anything too explicit IMO and also try to build a tone all through. The Bothersome Man is a great example of this (and the tv show The Leftovers for that matter)

Edited by coax

things to come (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4120176) - saw that it got great reviews, isabelle-huppert-in-trouble storyline which always delivers, available in HD on my fav movie pirating site, so i grabbed it immediately only to realize that i already watched it a couple of months ago. this is a review. 

logan - oooh, so gritty, so R-rated, so violent, real life problems, everyone's saying "fuck" all the time for no reason, aging, disease, corporate takeover, sooo serious and grim and R-rated and everyone's dying...but wait, where's the film in all this? some semblance of a script besides the "a broken dude is taking care of his girl in trouble" beaten down to death presets maybe? evidently not with this one.

batman vs superman - superman actor should be nowhere near a film set, jeremy irons is gay as possible, batman is volcel, and jesse eisenberg gets holly hunter to drink a mason jar of piss. zack snyder's personal film making pathology has enough material for an entire conference

Oxyana, wow. depressing. Very american, sadly. This is the America the tourists don't see.. They should just let that fat guy take as much drugs as he wants after the murder of his family. Sad sad sad stories

Interstellar. Pleasantly surprised. Not much of a Mathew Mccon-ahay fan (great in buyers club and dazed and confused, tho )

but i loved the subject of gravity and time. Excellent. 

Watched Baskin, I liked it. It was eh.. interesting? The bit with the key was a letdown, but other than that it's​ one of the better entries into the subgenre.