Midnight spesh ... I liked it. I think I might be a bit gay for Michael Shannon though. 7 close encounters out of 10

How about the ending?

I feel like they shouldn't have shown any of the alien structures at all. It kinda ruined the mystery.

Oh, and another thing... it's been a while since I've seen it, so tell me if I'm wrong, but if the alien structures are all over Earth at all time, why did they have to drive to that specific location?

It would've been much been much better if they didn't go full retard with the CGI towards the end and had left it somewhat ambiguous.

Nice.

Edited by Gocab

yep... i agree. i'm totally down with the idea of them being not aliens but higher level humans operating on a different plane of existence in the same geo location though but yeah could've left more to the imagination.

as for why would he have to go to those specific coordinates?

probably not much plot, mystery  or film duration without that element so i'm just going with it.

We got see Transformers 5 for free today, I want my goddamn money back.

Same here, just got out of a free screening. I've never had a poorer sense of geography within action in my life. And I typically don't care about continuity if character and plot are firing on cylinders, but this is a case of a director with no control over the narrative. 6 editors...?

Domestic attendance is going to be way down on TF5. Bay has made his billion and should retire quietly to commercials. The studio better keep their budget in check for the Bumblebee spinoff because this franchise is the next casualty of sequalitis.

They're taking for doing Transformers vs. G.I. Joe as the first movie of the Hasbro "connected universe" of toy movies. I would at least see that one out of curiosity.

Body Double (1984) -  :w00t: Exactly the kind of filth I was hoping Dressed to Kill would deliver. I pray this ends up in Criterion one day. "I won't shave my pussy"/10

They're taking for doing Transformers vs. G.I. Joe as the first movie of the Hasbro "connected universe" of toy movies. I would at least see that one out of curiosity.

Don't feed the beast. pls.

Edited by doublename

Snake Eyes - Just like half naked Nancy Allen was the best thing about Dressed to Kill, half naked Carla Gugino is the best thing about this. De Palma serving up more off-brand Hitchcock, right down to the Vertigo-style blonde wig shenanigans. The opening scene v impressive though.

Mission to Mars - De Palma doing off-brand... Kubrick? This is abysmal, and has one of the worst scores I've heard.

Yeah, the movie's bad, but that opening scene is amazing. Mission to Mars is amazingly bad. Don't throw rocks, but I actually like Red Planet (came out at the same time back when Hollywood was doing the dueling stories thing).

Snake Eyes - Just like half naked Nancy Allen was the best thing about Dressed to Kill, half naked Carla Gugino is the best thing about this. De Palma serving up more off-brand Hitchcock, right down to the Vertigo-style blonde wig shenanigans. The opening scene v impressive though.

Mission to Mars - De Palma doing off-brand... Kubrick? This is abysmal, and has one of the worst scores I've heard.

Yeah, the movie's bad, but that opening scene is amazing. Mission to Mars is amazingly bad. Don't throw rocks, but I actually like Red Planet (came out at the same time back when Hollywood was doing the dueling stories thing).

don't throw rocks but i really like rocket man

The Vagrant

Forgotten black comedy/horror goodie staring Bill Paxton - very odd dream like/nightmarish vibe to the whole thing. Not amazing, but not bad! You get the sense everyone is trying to make it work, so you gotta commend them for that...tis' a bit of fun

The Handmaiden - This was opulent as fuck, and left me quite sweaty to boot. Tempted to just start it over again already.

Clouds of Sils Maria - I fuck with this. The first flick I've seen with Kristen Stewart since Panic Room, and I was v pleasantly surprised.

Maniac (2012) - This was a much appreciated hit of sickening filth. It doesn't seem this dude has ever directed anything else worth seeing, but this hit the spot. Curious to see the 1980 version now.

Baskin - I liked this till the Smeagol guy showed up. Some of the gimp orgy stuff visually reminds me a lil bit of Silent Hill 2 (the game).

Silent Hill - Mid '00s American horror movies are consistently garbage.

Edited by doublename

The Vagrant

Forgotten black comedy/horror goodie staring Bill Paxton - very odd dream like/nightmarish vibe to the whole thing. Not amazing, but not bad! You get the sense everyone is trying to make it work, so you gotta commend them for that...tis' a bit of fun

This is directed by Chris Walas who made his debut with The Fly II (a nostalgic masterpiece). 

Started to watch Maniac (2012) bloody 'ell it is gruesome. Feels like stepping into Condemned the computer game from years ago. 

I bloody love Elijah Wood. He could sit on his arse getting fat from that hobbit money coming in but he stars in and helps produce weird horror films. Also, there was that video of him at that aphex show and he seemed cool.

Personal Shopper - I don't know if I fuck with this like Sils Maria, but I like the mood of it. The extended texting scenes didn't always feel uh... cinematic, even if it kinda paid off.

Dead Ringers - I don't normally like Cronenberg flix on first watch, but this one has stuck with me since watching it.

XX - A female directed Horror anthology. This was pretty disappointing overall. The standout for me was the joint directed by Annie Clark (yeah that one).

Okja - I kind of enjoyed this. It's strange watching a flick veer between Bong Joon-Ho zaniness and Spielberg schmaltz though.

Edited by doublename

Maniac (2012) - This was a much appreciated hit of sickening filth. It doesn't seem this dude has ever directed anything else worth seeing, but this hit the spot. Curious to see the 1980 version now.

see the original!

the lost city of z - expected much more from this. it's beautiful for sure, visually and sonically, even the very opening of the film with the title to the side of the native group is gorgeous and very tasteful. some of the directorial and editing moves are used very well for keeping a good pace and look in the jungle sequences. but in general it's just too plain, formal and conservative as far as adventure movies go, only in the last 30 minutes or so it snapped in onto something greater and moving. the characters are not interesting and in general poorly developed, the main protagonist's obsession wasn't really fleshed out enough to convince me. moreover, him being a bit a of a progressive war-hero feminist superman fighting the colonial mindset of the time and always having to emphasize how natives are people too was kinda corny and overly aggrandizing on the part of the director. gray showed that he can do much better characters, especially with "two lovers". the fact that the film is covering about two decades and presumably a rich biography also brings in a lot of the usual problems of compressing and cutting off too much stuff and ignoring a lot of context and development to get to the real meat (which wasn't that meaty anyway), that's always a compromise. it's like we have to assume that almost nothing significant happened to the protagonist for years, which weakens the characterization even further. it's almost 2 and a half hours but it actually thought it needed to be longer or cut to several films or something to deal with all those 3-5 year time skips that made the whole thing very spotty.