Thomas Jane on the upcoming "The Predator". Had to post due to the plot.

“We play these veterans from like Afghanistan, Iraq war or whatever. But we’re all fucking crazy so we go to the VA hospital to get our meds. We’re all like shellshocked, PTSD…soldiers. We’re at the VA hospital and we’re in group therapy and of course, somebody flips out…this is backstory, I don’t think we really see this…somebody flips out and we all get arrested and get thrown onto the bus to go down to the hospital and they throw this other guy on the bus too.

And he’s a guy they’ve actually marked to kill him because he’s seen a UFO, he’s seen the Predator ships come down so they lock him up and throw him in with us lunatics. They’re going to take that bus, drive it down to a ditch and shoot us all just to get rid of this one guy. But, of course, we take the bus over and we’re all like “fuck that man, let’s go kill these fucking Predators ourselves” and we’re just crazy enough to believe that this guy really did see a UFO and there’s these aliens out there. So that’s kinda cool!”

I hope the movie can live up to that description.

Fred Dekker being attached helps. 

Sean Baker's new un is out this week, after Tangerine, really looking forward to seeing it...

Ohh, didn't know he had a new one out. Tangerine was adorable.

Prince of Broadway was pretty dam good too.

Louis Theroux's Scientology Movie

Scary and frustrating, all with the British awkwardness that only Theroux can deliver. A lot of these Scientology documentaries sort of blend into each other but there is some interesting stuff in this one.

agree to disagree, there's so much to enjoy, the strange sisters who get involved one of whom is a seer of sorts, the editing (sounds bs but Roeg is on another planet with style), the synchronicities, the crimson tide....

would highly recommend Performance & Bad Timing, the latter is intensely creepy cos its not framed as conventional horror

Donald Cammel's "White of the Eye" is well worth hunting down too, v similar style, the protagonist is a sound system engineer so there's a weird sound design aspect + David Keith redefined insane...

whiteoftheeyeposter.jpg

In a similar vein, John Hurt plays an electro-acoustic composer in The Shout, almost parallel stylistically to the above works, infinite juxtapositions between his sound recording work & the madness around, plus Tony Banks did the soundtrack/effects, a lost British beast:

SHOUTshock2.jpg

I watched both, wanted to love them more, but they were both interesting. I love Bad Timing.

White Of The Eye seemed very coked up.

logan lucky

this was good until hilary swank showed up. she is so fucking bad in this. she's playing an fbi agent like a robot has possessed a human body and is pretending to be clint eastwood, and she has this weird gruff vocal affectation where she talks with a monotone southern drawl out of one side of her mouth. it's the most distracting character work i've seen in a long time, to the point that i couldn't really focus on the movie anymore and actually started to resent it. 

i didn't quite get what logan lucky was supposed to be. an affectionate ode to the working class and downtrodden trump voters? but then those aren't the kind of people that would pull such a elaborate heist like clooney and co could. felt kinda at odds with itself. though it made me realize that vacuum/pneumatic machinery carries a lot of inherent comedic charge and is highly underused in film.

Wilderness on the Horror Channel couple of nights back. Scum/Predator/Dead Mans Shoes mashup.

I must have rented the video years ago as certain scenes felt vaguely familiar, but had since forgotten it.

Tad dated cringey with some of the dialogue yoot talk "ya get me" etc., but reasonably entertaining after a few drinks & if you like low to mid budget Brit horror flicks.

Sean Pertwee screaming at his mutilated stump with his eyeball hanging out got a genuine lol from me,
(maybe because I had been watching Masterchef: The professionals early that evening.)

just watched The Square... kinda surprised this won at Cannes. Feels like a very obvious movie that manages to seem to be way deeper than it is by dragging scenes for way longer than they need to be to serve their purpose. And that's the thing, the movie is like a sequence of scenes where they make a joke or present an event, you get it, it drags on for a little (or a lot) longer, then moves on to the next scene, which may or may not have anything to do with a bigger picture. It was funny at points though gotta give it that, and the main actor is fantastic. A big 'meh' from me