Best F®iends: Not what I was expecting. It's directed, written, produced mostly by others and feature Tommy and Greg. Felt a lot like one of those weird thrillers you might see at 2am on Cinemax in the late 90s. Vaguely creepy settings and weird plot. Also they seem to just kinda let Tommy improvise his lines throughout so a lot of the scenes kinda felt like a regular movie but some weirdo homeless guy had infiltrated and started rambling. Gets pretty Lynchian in the final scene (or as much as something like this can be). There will be a second part in June.

ahh you actually saw this? have it on my watchlist but couldn't decide whether to watch it or not... guess i'll do then...

i was deeply disappointed... :(

you deserve to be to be quite frankly honest

what do you mean? :cerious:

Sorry, it was a 100% sarcastic comment that was neither humorous nor necessary in hindsight. Don't worry though, there's much more non-contribution posts where that came from. Keep your eyes peeled for "nice", "can't wait. sounds awesome." and the classic "flol" in future threads. I'm just getting started.

Sorry, it was a 100% sarcastic comment that was neither humorous nor necessary in hindsight. Don't worry though, there's much more non-contribution posts where that came from. Keep your eyes peeled for "nice", "can't wait. sounds awesome." and the classic "flol" in future threads. I'm just getting started.

post-155-0-65835900-1520453458.png

Huh, I really liked Annihilation too. It's really my kind of sci-fi. Ended up buying the book and I think I wanna see director's other stuff. Hope I can see it again before it's out of the theatre. I don't get the hate here for it, but I guess the new season of Twin Peaks got a lot of hate too so apparently I need to take WATMM's cinematic opinions with a big grain of salt.

Nope. I liked it as well (annihilation). More than large parts of TPs 3rd season.

Going to check out the bookS (!!) as well. Wasn't there supposed to be a fourth part coming or something?

Only grapes with the story was that I had a number of times where I thought "just return and come back later better prepared!". Mostly tells me the story was engaging enough that some gaps in logic could be overcome.

Have my hopes the books will be better though.

post-155-0-65835900-1520453458.png
Flol, nice, can't wait.

Huh, I really liked Annihilation too. It's really my kind of sci-fi. Ended up buying the book and I think I wanna see director's other stuff. Hope I can see it again before it's out of the theatre. I don't get the hate here for it, but I guess the new season of Twin Peaks got a lot of hate too so apparently I need to take WATMM's cinematic opinions with a big grain of salt.

Only grapes with the story was that I had a number of times where I thought "just return and come back later better prepared!". Mostly tells me the story was engaging enough that some gaps in logic could be overcome.

The part where they realise they've been there for over a week but can't remember anything makes me feel that wasn't an option

That was def a point where I thought: grab your data/samples and get back out ASAP! Don't see any reason not to, apart from "but the movie". 

If going back wasn't an option - after having been a week there without any recollection - why should continuing going forward be an option? It's not like they forgot about where to go.

I'm watching Ready Player One. Fuck me, the whole 'references: the movie' thing. I thought it was gonna be bad. It's 1000 times worse than I imagined.

Referencing pop culture is actually the core of the plot.

The characters will rattle off "galaga, alien, superman, goldeneye, bill & ted" in one line of dialogue.

I thought I was crying but I appear to be bleeding internally

If going back wasn't an option - after having been a week there without any recollection - why should continuing going forward be an option? It's not like they forgot about where to go.

they lost sense of time innit?

at least i think that's what spi's implying...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

rewatched Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List. the visual language of both films is still quite powerful and imo the strongest thing both films have going for them. the overall Spielberg package itself is usually a pretty simple one (whether that's a good or bad thing is another question). I was a bit less tolerant this time round for the tendency he has to insert ridiculous bits in the middle of serious moments which I guess are meant to be darkly absurd but come off as bad-funny, e.g. guy has a bullet ding off his helmet and takes it off to look at it incredulously before being shot in the head.

color me stupid. i don't think that'd be an argument to not go back. on contrary. they lost sense of time. and they were aware of it. so why venture forward? doesn't make sense to me. and it doesn't make sense as an argument to not go back. again, color me stupid. if you can explain, i'm all ears.

color me stupid. i don't think that'd be an argument to not go back. on contrary. they lost sense of time. and they were aware of it. so why venture forward? doesn't make sense to me. and it doesn't make sense as an argument to not go back. again, color me stupid. if you can explain, i'm all ears.

because it's a dep movie about self destruction and they wer all sad and depressed so they all wanted to die horrifying deaths because all people self destruct and they touch the alien to make it self destruct because deep movie motivation subtelty

i don't remember correctly and didn't care too much for the movie but if you put yourself in the character's position and think that you're on the mission for about 3 hours (while you've actually been on it for 3 days) you'd feel disoriented and turning back didn't even occur them as an option... i'm just blabbing here cause i don't even remember them loosing the sense of time except in the interview in the intro...

i don't even know why i'm discussing it i didn't like the movie at all except for some cheap fx that fall in the vaporwave category...

so much talking about the movie now i have a strange urge to watch it again...

also watched Annihilation thought it was pretty cool, the script/story slightly bamboozled me and left a lot to be desired but the artistic/visual side of the film was damn good

Really looking forward to seeing this again when there's a version without that shitty Netflix compression artifacting available.

I didn’t notice any artifacting at all and I don’t even have the 4K subscription to Netflix?

Netflix has fixed the horrendous HDR tonemapping in the original release. Highlights are no longer so blown out that they obscure all detail.

because it's a dep movie about self destruction and they wer all sad and depressed so they all wanted to die horrifying deaths because all people self destruct and they touch the alien to make it self destruct because deep movie motivation subtelty

that makes some sense. thx!

re: Annihilation

Have my hopes the books will be better though.

Sorta. Both much better and maybe in ways worse (second and third books mostly). Weirder, as it is weird fiction and definitely stays in that realm. There’s some explanation, some obfuscation, lots of ridiculous and weird. Mostly good writing, weird (partly lazy) fucking plotting.

I'm watching Ready Player One. Fuck me, the whole 'references: the movie' thing. I thought it was gonna be bad. It's 1000 times worse than I imagined.

Referencing pop culture is actually the core of the plot.

The characters will rattle off "galaga, alien, superman, goldeneye, bill & ted" in one line of dialogue.

I thought I was crying but I appear to be bleeding internally

Haha it was pretty fucking silly. I mean it’s designed that way but...jeeze. Movie was strangely geared towards young teens it seemed to me in its tone. Not sure why.

'killing a sacred deer' - weird intense creep fest. not what i expected. didn't know anything about it though. but damn.. it's creepy

edit: 

re: ready player one - tried to read that book a couple times but couldn't stop rolling my eyes and got dizzy because it's fucking stupid imo

Edited by ignatius

Titan Netflix. Lets make a handful of people into Aliens ,but thy might not live through the transformation, and make them our only hope for humanity on earth which is going to shit. How this saves humanity is still not understood.

Titan Netflix. Lets make a handful of people into Aliens ,but thy might not live through the transformation, and make them our only hope for humanity on earth which is going to shit. How this saves humanity is still not understood.

Haha watched this last night.  So many things made no sense to me.  How was it one surviving would be enough to carry on human life? Why even send one out there if it cannot reproduce or anything?  

I'd give this one like a 6/10.  Still somewhat enjoyable because I love anything Sci-Fi.  Also the acting was not bad.

Really looking forward to seeing this again when there's a version without that shitty Netflix compression artifacting available.

I didn’t notice any artifacting at all and I don’t even have the 4K subscription to Netflix?

Netflix has fixed the horrendous HDR tonemapping in the original release. Highlights are no longer so blown out that they obscure all detail.

Yay!