Automata. 6.5/10

Wasn't too bad, although it's part of a genre with some classics like Blade Runner, 2001, and Ghost in the Shell. It's very much a movie about AI breaking free from the rules men programmed into them. If you enjoy those, I'd recommend this one. Don't expect it to be a classic though. It's a bit of a wannabe Blade Runner perhaps. But not annoyingly so. 

Haven't seen Endwar. But will perhaps (without spending money on it. 1B for that movie is more than plenty already). Did enjoy Infiniti Wars though. Which was unexpected. But for what it was, it was worth the effort. Made me want to reinvest in the earlier Avengers movie. But I def. seen that already, and remember some underwhelming feeling. I guess the conclusion is that sometimes even these superhero movies can be enjoyable. It's not impossible. ;)

half-ass watched Galaxy of Terror (1981) last night, it was surprisingly competent for something obv riding the coattails of Alien. few cool shots and ideas but also some terrible ones (alien slug-worm raping one of the characters to death), would've been better if i'd been drunk

I also donated money to the altar of rampant capitalism, but I thought endgame was a slog. I'm not going to bother to explain further, it's a dumb 3 hour superhero retcon where nothing of interest happens, and unfortunately it takes itself way too seriously.

Edit: or maybe it's just that the jokes all fall flat.

Edit edit because why not: currently watching the Wandering Earth. Earth is going to crash into Jupiter for some reason, so they put big rock powered engines on earth to fly it 4000 light years to another sun. Unfortunately something happens on the way, and it plays out mostly like the Day After Tomorrow. There's also a bit trying to ape Gravity where they've even gone all out and made a lacklustre copy of the gravity soundtrack. Just don't. It is the worst, and somehow it's getting decent reviews, next big thing my ass.

Edited by Gocab

5 hours ago, Gocab said:

I also donated money to the altar of rampant capitalism, but I thought endgame was a slog. I'm not going to bother to explain further, it's a dumb 3 hour superhero retcon where nothing of interest happens, and unfortunately it takes itself way too seriously.

Edit: or maybe it's just that the jokes all fall flat.

Edit edit because why not: currently watching the Wandering Earth. Earth is going to crash into Jupiter for some reason, so they put big rock powered engines on earth to fly it 4000 light years to another sun. Unfortunately something happens on the way, and it plays out mostly like the Day After Tomorrow. There's also a bit trying to ape Gravity where they've even gone all out and made a lacklustre copy of the gravity soundtrack. Just don't. It is the worst, and somehow it's getting decent reviews, next big thing my ass.

I think they're trying to go to another solar system, then something bad happens, which is why they're going to crash into jupiter, so this guy tries to shoot jupiter:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Went to see the new Avengers.  Little bit hung-over might've affected this but I walked out (first time i've done that in many years).  God that movie was nauseating.  It was so boring i couldn't take it anymore.   I know action was going to eventually start but I wasn't invested enough to give a shit.  

Spoiler

Fucking time travel?  Really?  I feel like an 8 year old wrote this movie.

• Like 2

The guy shooting Jupiter was definitely a highlight.

2 hours ago, Gocab said:

I expected to be entertained?

You weren’t entertained? There were spaceships, lasers, aliens, backflips, fat gods of thunder, mountains and more. It was like everything that makes up IDM and more. 

aN4gxe6GX56eaE6G9pxpG484ko.jpg

wow- i cannot believe they fucked this up as much as they did but it's almost like netflix is on a mission to make the shittiest films possible. 

3 hours ago, Crossword Enthusiast said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Suspiria (2018). I didn't think I would like it all tbh. I love when that happens.

Yeah I panned it a page or so back, but I gave it a second go in the last week and it is a really good film. Probably needs an adjustment viewing for adoring fans of the original, but watching Johnson during the 2nd viewing is a lot of fun, and the coven company/outside context stuff worked better this time around for me. Likely less divisive with more viewings I'd imagine.

• Like 1

Last night I finally dug an MCU film:

I'd gladly trade in the rest of MCU for another entry of Ant-Man's quality. Disgraceful that this isn't widely regarded as the ideal, a perfection of formula that isn't just about a good act here or a good act there, but a fully effective execution overflowing with characters, action and humour you actually like.

I'm just thrilled to actually like an MCU film! Thanks Ant-Man! The rest of those Avengers should be bowing down to you.

PS - It took me about 1.5 seconds to realise he was yelling "Ant-hony" instead of "Taxi!", given that either line suits the circumstances.

4 hours ago, chenGOD said:

You weren’t entertained? There were spaceships, lasers, aliens, backflips, fat gods of thunder, mountains and more. It was like everything that makes up IDM and more. 

If I could I would force you to watch Transformers movies the rest of your life.

No gods of thunder and no backflips if I recall. That said, I’ve been entertained by several of the Transformers movies, because my expectations going in are nil.  

for mass consumption media, the marvel movies are very well done, and are, for the most part, entertaining. It’s like complaining that you shouldn’t enjoy chocolate because you already know what you’re going to get. 

O, I agree. People should expect the worst when going to a movie which is engineered to grab a billion in its opening weekend. Lowest common denominator committee trash made by our capitalist overlords. ?

5 hours ago, Nebraska said:

aN4gxe6GX56eaE6G9pxpG484ko.jpg

wow- i cannot believe they fucked this up as much as they did but it's almost like netflix is on a mission to make the shittiest films possible. 

I mean the film title says it all

high life - enjoyed this a lot,reading reviews beforehand,it was nowhere near as arty/surreal as people where implying,but i thought it was a cool,obviously low budget,well acted/directed,interesting sci-fi movie with a nice soundtrack - juliette binoche is great in it - 8/10

20 minutes ago, sunshine recorder said:

high life - enjoyed this a lot,reading reviews beforehand,it was nowhere near as arty/surreal as people where implying,but i thought it was a cool,obviously low budget,well acted/directed,interesting sci-fi movie with a nice soundtrack - juliette binoche is great in it - 8/10

huh.. I skipped out on this completely I think because I saw the twilight guy. gotta check my subconscious bias'. Juliette Binoche is maybe my favourite actress, didn't realise she was in it.