to the wonder - continuing his abstract study of dysfunctional relationship and human behavior, terrence malick's most recent film suffers from casting issues. i understand what he is trying for here, but it just did not quite work the way it could have. i was still entertained however, and there r very few who can produce a film with more delicate, visual and aural beauty then malick. i don't recommend the film to anyone other than those with the most intense terrance malick desire.

Guest trananhhung

Just finished rewatching The Terminator. The last time was about 15 years ago.

I had no idea the film was so noir and nightmarish. It's almost like an horror film. Like Alien to Aliens II. The score is fantastic. And why did I cry during the love making scene and when Kyle dies? I know I had a big crush on him when I was a teen, but stil...

Classic sci-fi thriller. 10/10

...and justice for all

7.5/10

makes me miss the days when pacino could pull off amazing subtle performances as well as his trademark intense shouting. i feel like in everything he's done in the past 10+ years, he's either whispering/mumbling or shouting/stage acting. he seemed to have a better grasp of the middleground in the 70's.

Murderball. Seen it before but not for years. Documentary about quadriplegic rugby. These guys put glue on their gloves if they can't grip the ball well and fuck each other up with Ben-Hur style wheelchairs.

Gets a bit mawkish and emotionally manipulative towards the end but still a good watch.

Kick-Ass 2 - 7/10 - Not as good as the first, but still pretty damn incredible. Dark and pulpy and hilarious. This one actually seemed to feel more like a comic than the last one, which i think is both good and bad: good in that it had the immediate appeal of a comic book and drew you in, but bad in that it didn't seem to break free of comic entertainment like the first did at parts. Important parts feeling a bit rushed was another issue, and all the social commentary was pretty poor, up until the ending which I thought was good (well, not the end of the credits part).

Makes me want to re-watch the first one more than anything, whereas the first had so much energy it actually left me feeling all "fuck yeah, superheroes n' shit."

Killing Me Them Softly 6.5/10

Brad was just not convincing as a cold blooded murdering badass I'm afraid.

Also the thing was trying to merge elements from too many films I know.

I just couldn't get fully into it.

fixt.

killing me softly was another film

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Glad to see someone not hating on Elysium or a new blockbuster movie in general. I'm annoyed with reading these mega anal super negative reviews of movies that are what they are, and they should have known what they were getting into before the decided on heading to the theater.

Animal Kingdom - 100000000000000000000000000000000 / 10

i had a recent love affair again with this one; i've watched it quite a few times. what a lovely cast and just a well executed film in every way. jacki weaver gives me the creepys

i had a recent love affair again with this one; i've watched it quite a few times. what a lovely cast and just a well executed film in every way. jacki weaver gives me the creepys

Absolutely. It's just a top quality film all round. Can't believe I was so late to the party!

Absolutely. It's just a top quality film all round. Can't believe I was so late to the party!

have u seen 'sexy beast'?

Finally watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Not great, sort of flawed, but tense and enjoyable and nicely acted. Probably an indication of how many awful movies I've seen lately that it felt like a bit of a reprieve.

I'm getting to the point where I feel somehow beaten down by how crappy most films are. It's really sapped my enthusiasm for the whole fucking artform, which is probably a silly overreaction and I wish it wasn't the case. But I'm tired.

Yes, but not for ages. Should watch it again!

oh' u should! i watched it for my third time almost a month ago and for me it has increased in quality with its age. ray winstone vs ben kingsley is fan-dabby-dozy-tastic. my favourite kingsley thingy ever i think

A strange and alarming trend: movie-lovers who don’t like to watch movies

http://thedissolve.com/news/251-dude-these-movies-would-be-amazing-if-you-didnt-ha/

i feel like i'm part of that group. i watch less movies now than ever in my life (and i consider myself a film lover) but there are more shitty movies now than ever

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

oceans 11

hey that was fun

oceans 12

a turd

oceans 13

and I no longer care. trying to pretend these thieves care about each other made this fall apart as soon as it started

been a tough week so I've been wanting escapism. only the first one really worked

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

Elysium did not live up to my (high) expectations... and I'm normally not that big of a snob when it comes to these kind of big budget sci-fi movies (I'm a sucker for movies with geeky and big budget sci-fi aesthetics).

It started out pretty well, but the second half of the movie was just... kind of... bad.

But it was worth watching for the visuals alone.

Oh... and this tune is played in the movie, I enjoyed that.

Edited by Ceerial

The Place Beyond The Pines - Knew nothing about it other than a friend's recommendation that I should watch it. Interesting story, the big plot turns were quite unexpected, especially the first significant one which dictated the tone for the rest of the film. Very well acted, a few corny moments but otherwise quite a captivating watch. 8/10

just watched this. blown away. loved it.

Elysium did not live up to my (high) expectations... and I'm normally not that big of a snob when it comes to these kind of big budget sci-fi movies (I'm a sucker for movies with geeky and big budget sci-fi aesthetics).

It started out pretty well, but the second half of the movie was just... kind of... bad.

But it was worth watching for the visuals alone.

Oh... and this tune is played in the movie, I enjoyed that.

I just watched it tonight, and my impression was the same overall. I found the visuals to be more impressive than the plot. It's not so much the symbolism in class struggle I found underwhelming, as it was the way the characters progressed. I dunno, it felt like something in the story was missing or needed improvement.