Guest zaphod

Gravity

Ender's Game?

gravity looks somewhat hopeful aside from the sandra bullock bollix.

Gravity is getting pretty high praise from folks at the venice film festival. Sounds like Cuaron really brought it.

i dunno, gravity looks like it could be really, really tedious. i'm already too distracted by bullock and clooney, don't know if i want to spend two hours listening to her grunt on the soundtrack.

i really hope Paul Dini gets involved somehow in the WB movie DC stuff. Or at the very least they give Snyder the boot and let Ben Affleck take over directing duties for Justice League. I still can't believe how much of a disaster Man of Steel was. It wasn't even that it was 'bad' it was just so haphazardly done, expensive, disjointed with extremely inconsistent pacing and bad 1 dimensional characterizations. If it was simply a bad film it would be easier to comprehend, it felt like 3 different people made a movie and cut it together and pretended it was the same film

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest zaphod

lol you miserable man...the reviews I've read are glowing

sorry, trailer looked that way to me. maybe it's a great movie, i'm just distracted by the only two stars being enormous names. it's a movie that sounds cool on paper but then when i saw the trailer i was like "well, this could actually be very bad". maybe it isn't, i'm just going on what i saw. lot of people in the theater were laughing, drag that out to two hours, so i'm not sure how effective the movie really is.

and really dude? you go off on movies constantly, i'm miserable for extrapolating that movie looks kind of tedious? and we're all totally agreeing with critics now? lol

:shrug:

Edited by zaphod

Watched Waking Life the other day

I actually tried watching it a while back when I was fricked out of my mind on edibles (homemade doughnuts with chocolate sourcream filling yo), but it felt too wordy & on the nose. I wanted something more abstract, so I ended up listening to drone music for several hours until I understood the meaning of life

But anyways, on sober viewing it does make for a nice little collection of one man's DEEP THOUGHTS. As a movie movie I'm not sure how I feel about it - the plot is basically just a framework on which to lay a bunch of philosophical monologues, but there is a sense of honesty here, that Linklater truly wanted to communicate these abstract feelings & not just sound smart to stoned college students.

The visuals were fun as well, although sometimes it looked like all they did was use the cutout filter in Photosohop

sorry, trailer looked that way to me. maybe it's a great movie, i'm just distracted by the only two stars being enormous names. it's a movie that sounds cool on paper but then when i saw the trailer i was like "well, this could actually be very bad". maybe it isn't, i'm just going on what i saw. lot of people in the theater were laughing, drag that out to two hours, so i'm not sure how effective the movie really is.

and really dude? you go off on movies constantly, i'm miserable for extrapolating that movie looks kind of tedious? and we're all totally agreeing with critics now? lol

I dunno, being miserable wretches means we have to pick out at least a few pearls from the dross. I think Cuaron is one of those, and deserves the benefit of the doubt. If anything it almost makes me more interested to watch it, as I'm curious to see what he can do within the constraints he's set for himself.

I've always liked the short story "Kaleidoscope" by Ray Bradbury, I'm guessing Cuaron's idea came from that?

http://www.scaryforkids.com/kaleidoscope-by-ray-bradbury/

The Act of Killing - holy shit, i didn't expect this one to be as effecting as it was. Lasting mental trauma for days after viewing this film. If anyone has seen Man Bites Dog here, imagine if Man Bites Dog was not a mockumentary but instead of one guy the film crew follows around a retired Indonesian death squad that killed thousands of innocent people while they happily re-enact the killings in costumes and makeup for the crew. They joke around just as much as Benoit in Man Bites Dog, they seem to have absolutely no emotion but are also very charismatic and gregarious folks. It's one of the strangest movies I've ever seen. It also happens to be beautifully shot in many awesome Indonesian locations. (its a documentary in case anyone missed that) 9/10

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest zaphod

that or this pbf comic (which is probably inspired by the story, which is indeed very good):

PBF097-Astronaut_Fall.jpg

listen, i'll be the first to watch this. i'm just put off by the need to get big name stars to carry a movie. i get it, it's just very distracting. and i wonder if gravity will work as a feature length film. i have my doubts.

Guest RadarJammer

that or this pbf comic (which is probably inspired by the story, which is indeed very good):

PBF097-Astronaut_Fall.jpg

listen, i'll be the first to watch this. i'm just put off by the need to get big name stars to carry a movie. i get it, it's just very distracting. and i wonder if gravity will work as a feature length film. i have my doubts.

welcome to the movie world since 1920

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Watched Waking Life the other day

The visuals were fun as well, although sometimes it looked like all they did was use the cutout filter in Photosohop

LoL. That movie was done a long while ago. Most of the animations were manually digitally drawn over each video frame. I'm sure they used quite a bit of layering with stock Photoshop effects but I doubt there is one whole frame that is just a PS filter over the frame and nothing else.

Great movie though. I'm surprised there's not a lot more people that are obsessed with lucid dreaming. Every single one of my friends have seen it. Yet only 5% of them wouldn't give you a crooked face if you asked them what their favorite lucid dream was.

Agreed on trailer. I'm not a fan of Sandra or George really, but Cauron I'm down with. The run time is only 90min. I'm sure that benefits the film.

No Man's Land (2001)

Pretty good anti-war film based around the Bosnian war...does well with a minimal budget and strong cast. Worth a watch if you have any interest - great ending also.

if you don't mind the quality and the horrid 16:9 stretch, its on youtube:

http://youtu.be/N6mklgEFTCo

The Guard 3/10

I tried to watch this and couldn't as the main jokes seemed to hinge on the main character being rascist, Irish and into sex with strippers.

What a dissappointment.

I thought the racist comments were made in a sarcastic manner highlighting how his superiors were treating the FBI agent? The sex with strippers was also showing he was a single man unable to really have any meaningful relationships as he was devoted to his job? Context and all that.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I agree, I'm going to assume we both watched chinese R6 that came out yesteday? LoL. I give it a soft 7/10, there were defintely some some entertaining moments, but it did not have the same magic of the first.

^Kick Ass 2^

Guest RadarJammer

Enemy of the State the most relevant Will Smith movie right now. did Tony Scott have a penchant for cropped close ups? the cinematography is kinda claustraphobic in places

when the dog spills wine on his paperwork he grabs the whole fresh roll of paper towels but rips 1 single sheet and dabs at it like a girl

i would have rolled the whole paper towel roll right over it

5/10

The Guard 3/10

I tried to watch this and couldn't as the main jokes seemed to hinge on the main character being rascist, Irish and into sex with strippers.

What a dissappointment.

I thought the racist comments were made in a sarcastic manner highlighting how his superiors were treating the FBI agent? The sex with strippers was also showing he was a single man unable to really have any meaningful relationships as he was devoted to his job? Context and all that.

The Guard was a great little movie. Lots of gallows humor.

Guest zaphod

the world's end

loved this, very good film. the ending was a bit much, but otherwise it was basically perfect. oddly cynical and mature in its own immature way..

Night on the Galactic Railroad (1985)

Seemingly a lost, or rather overshadowed/forgotten anime gem - amazing sound track (made by one of the lads from YMO) and some really trippy, deep, self-reflecting moments/10

tumblr_mq5lyvx5AD1rws5mko1_400.jpg

Guest zaphod

you're next

indie twaddle. felt like the skinny jeans set was really trying to come hard with this one, ended up being an exercise in tedium. can someone lend these guys a tripod? enough with the fucking shaky cam on every shot. this was done better in last house on the left, the original i spit on your grave, home alone, the strangers, them, inside, every slasher film ever, every self aware horror film from the last twenty years, etc. also, throwing some john carpenter arpeggio synths over some of the scenes doesn't make your movie authentic or interesting. and weird giant whale noises don't make a scene scary. what a load of shit.

Edited by zaphod