The World's End - Really good but definitely the worst of the trilogy (to be fair it had a lot to live up to). The second half felt flat, first half is sooo good, its like the first half was directed by Edgar Wright and the second half was directed by generic sci-fi director.

The final confrontation was fucking weird too (it felt like it was shoe-horned) and the suicide-attempt drama felt out of place.

All the actors were great!

first half - 10, second half 6.5

Enemy of the State the most relevant Will Smith movie right now.

for sure, especially how they predicted that young snot nosed hipster punks would be the ones spying on us. but yeah it's not a great or even a good movie, it's just extremely relevant at this point in time

Guest bitroast

Night on the Galactic Railroad (1985)

Seemingly a lost, or rather overshadowed/forgotten anime gem - amazing sound track (made by one of the lads from YMO) and some really trippy, deep, self-reflecting moments/10

tumblr_mq5lyvx5AD1rws5mko1_400.jpg

saw this last year with my housemate friend at the time. i put it on because we both like anime and cats and this was an anime with cats and that was more or less the extent of my knowledge on the film.

i was actually in tears by the end of the film. this film really, really got to me.

just tonight watched They Live and Videodrome as a double at a cinema.

They Live = brilliance and 80s goodness/10. sort of reminds me of Paul Verhoeven's films in that it's fun and over the top action fun, but still has a deep message underneath it that gives the film some merit.

Videodrome = confusion/10. the plot became harder and harder to follow. with the why?s and the who?s and the how?s becoming more and more confusing. it became a hard to follow. and the harder it became to follow the harder it was to actually care about the film. it wasn't a bad or horrible film or anything. i sort of actually almost enjoyed it. but it was just far to convoluted and confusing to actually enjoy :(

They Live = brilliance and 80s goodness/10. sort of reminds me of Paul Verhoeven's films in that it's fun and over the top action fun, but still has a deep message underneath it that gives the film some merit.

Videodrome = confusion/10. the plot became harder and harder to follow. with the why?s and the who?s and the how?s becoming more and more confusing. it became a hard to follow. and the harder it became to follow the harder it was to actually care about the film. it wasn't a bad or horrible film or anything. i sort of actually almost enjoyed it. but it was just far to convoluted and confusing to actually enjoy :(

agreed completely with, They Live.

for me, Videodrome can be enjoyed and respected just on its 'texture' alone...it's a film like no other that creates this sickly physical atmosphere, with the body horror special effects being truly affecting

it's the sort of film you have to watch on a VHS on an old CRT TV to truly get the experience

for me, Videodrome can be enjoyed and respected just on its 'texture' alone...it's a film like no other that creates this sickly physical atmosphere, with the body horror special effects being truly affecting

it's the sort of film you have to watch on a VHS on an old CRT TV to truly get the experience

texture? hmmm

it's been a long time since i read the book, which is oddly not very good, but doesn't that happen in the novel? the only big change they seemed to make was cutting out the drifter girl that moss picks up and goes out with. i felt the only real misstep in the film version is the grandma, who is so fucking out of place. only other thing i could have done without was the speech by the old guy about indians. the theme of that is echoed in tlj's speech at the end, so it's kind of redundant.

one of the only cases i can think of where a novel that didn't work became a film that works flawlessly.

Edited by zaphod

but doesn't the whole scene kind of seem tacked on or something? like, the visit to the wife seemed half baked. and why exactly did he get into a car accident at that point? and when he takes the shirt and just walks off like a tough guy, idk, seemed sort of cheesy.

i don't know if i have a problem with him killing the wife. the car accident is weird and a bit out of place, i guess, but i really like tlj's monologue/soliliquy (sic, fuck it) story thing at the end. i like the cut to black.

it was maybe a little awkward, i thought it worked just because he had been this unstoppable killing machine the whole time and even after being shot seemed barely phased by it, then to have him almost eat it by a random neighborhood car crash seemed apt.

Guest bitroast

Aha! I totally got that vibe. That the film was feeling a bit weird in a cinema full of movie fans, as opposed to at home on the telly. It definitely seems like a VHS / late night on TV kind of movie. They Live on the other hand rocked on the big screen. Audience laughing along with it. What a blast^^

MacGruber - a few laughs but not much else 4/5

The Comedy - Tim Heidecker in a melancholic indie style pseudo intellectual none comedy that doesn't quite hit the mark of what it sets out to do and as a result a lot of it feels very long winded. Still has its moments but instead of reflecting on the the behavior of the lead role after the film has finished all you think about is that there was something missing. 6/10

The Europa Report - excellent and original sci-fi kinda what Apollo 18 should have been. (good recommendation Robert Moses) 9/10

Pain and Gain - whilst not the most intelligent comedy I though Michael Bay's OTT style kinda worked and The Rock was hilarious. A refreshing change to see an American comedy that didn't have the likes Vince Vaughan or Ben Stiller and amazed that it was actually based on true events 6.8/10

I second this. One thing I find confusing though, who is the main character in this film?

one thing is for sure, the main character, or any developed character, is most definitely not a woman. cormac mccarthy can't write a woman if his life depended on it. considering his popularity, it's a pathetic weakness imo.

I watched Buried last night, a film about a guy buried alive that takes place entirely within the little coffin-like box he's buried in.

I went in with low expectations and it was actually a tad better than expected.

The performance of the lead actor was solid and the pacing was alright, too. It was also nicely shot, taking into account how little space there was available, and made creative use of the limitations.

However, I have some issues with the story and the background, which is kinda questionable as it makes the film seem like a bit of a homeland security propaganda flick and also takes away a lot of the tension. It would have been a lot scarier not knowing who the guy had been buried alive by and why, but the film gibes this away very early and it is a bit of a rubbish idea, too.

It was still a very dark film, both visually and mentally. I imagine it must be a terrifying film for people who suffer from claustrophobia.

I also watched Uli Seidl's Import/Export which I highly, highly, highly recommend.

importexport-2007.jpg

It's reminiscent of Michael Haneke's ultra-realistic style, perhaps even more realistic than his films (given that Seidl uses non-actors to shoot his films with, so a lot of it isn't even acting) - The film consists of two alternating storylines, one about a girl from the Ukraine who moves to Austria and finds herself in one horrible situation after the other (Import) and one about two guys from Austria who travel Eastern European countries doing some sleazy business (Export).

This film was very harsh and emotional without being cheesy or sentimental. I'd even say it's flawless. Watch this if you like Haneke.