Snowpiercer was good.

Also watched They Live  and Big Trouble in Little China for the first time and really enjoyed it, then re-watched The Thing for the 20th time.

Captain Marvel was okay.... Though I have the feeling I won't see it again for a long time, Maybe if I ever do a marathon of marvel. It really  felt like a Marvel phase 1 film... maybe slightly better than Thor 1/The Hulk. Which sucks because it's more fuel for the people who wanted it to fail because of the made up "controversy" surrounding her.

The whole film felt like a tv drama, down to the cheesy skrull make up. You just know they will be giving her character an overhaul for Captain Marvel 2

Edited by Brisbot

I found Lords of Chaos to be pretty compelling.

just watched this... from the little i knew about black metal i honestly didn't picture these guys like they were depicted in the movie... i went to wikipedia before watching it and read about the book that it is based on and ended up reading about the norwegian black metal scene, euronymos and varg... which made the idea i had about them even more darker... based on wikipedia there's lots of historical inaccuracy in the movie:

Varg Vikernes, in a 2018 video posted on his YouTube channel, criticised his depiction as "a power-mad person" in the film and in other media.[29] In another video from January 2019, he referred to the film as a "character murder" and expressed resentment that he was portrayed by a "fat, Jewish actor" who "said things in the film I never said in real life ... did things I never did ... did things for reasons I never had ... by and large, the whole film is just made up."[1] Vikernes believed that Euronymous was also slandered in the film by being falsely depicted as a "complete weakling pussy".[30] He added that Euronymous was a "convicted criminal" with a history of "committing violence against others".[23]

Numerous points of the film's story and presentation are disputed by Vikernes.[1]

Vikernes' depiction as a sex-obsessed misogynist,[18] a vegetarian, a fan of the rock band Scorpions, and an arsonist. He denied all of these characterisations, as well as others, and said that his conviction for church arson was based solely on false accounts given by the arsonists who were convicted. Accordingly, there exists no physical evidence linking him to the crimes.[19]

The character of Euronymous' girlfriend, Ann-Marit. According to Vikernes, Euronymous did not have a girlfriend and was believed to be a "homosexual in the closet". Vikernes did not know of any real-life person that the Ann-Marit character may have been based on.[20]

The circumstances of Vikernes' January 1993 Bergens Tidende interview. He stated that, in real life, Euronymous had poor business acumen and was struggling with his record shop, so to attract more customers and promote the black metal scene, he urged Vikernes to give a press interview. Vikernes gave the reporter a "bullshit story".[21] He stated that the interview revealed nothing that could prove his involvement in any crime.[22]

In the film, Vikernes stabs a pleading Euronymous to death at his apartment while Blackthorn waits outside. According to Vikernes, the real killing was not premeditated; Euronymous attacked him first, and Blackthorn was present during part of the ensuing struggle. Euronymous continued to attack Vikernes even after being stabbed twice.[23] Vikernes said that he stabbed Euronymous more than a dozen times afterward with only a dull-pointed knife, and that Euronymous did not stop attacking him until after the final stab to the head.[24]

In one scene from the film, Dead anachronistically declares, "We are Lords of Chaos."[25] The name actually originates from the unrelated American criminal group whose name was adopted for the book Lords of Chaos. The book's scope was not focused solely on the Norwegian black metal scene.[25]

then i watch the movie and they're depicted as little pussy cunts attention seekers so obviously i had a hard time believing that people like that which committed such atrocities could in fact be like the characters we see on the screen... now i'm divided and with a deep interest in knowing more about the scene...

From what I understand, the real story of Norwegian Black Metal isn’t that sexy. It was a bunch of nerds who got bored and did some stupid shit. They made some cool music though

His portfolio is awful.

edit:  And Spun is one of the dumbest films I've ever seen.

But a serious question, if I've seen Before the Light Takes Us, am I getting anything other than a smarmy and bitter "I WAS THERE, MAN!" manifesto of someone who never made it in that scene?

Edited by Taupe Beats

Criterion finally announced they're putting out Bruno Dumont's first 2 films (La Vie de Jesus, L'Humanite). Been waiting years for this.

*keeps fingers crossed for an eventual release of Hors Satan on Blu-Ray with English subs*

I wish they would finally release the Brazil Director's Cut on digital.

climax - damn i usually can get trough his films with no problems but there was a specific scene on this one which made me feel pretty nauseated... it's a slow burner but the last half is a full on psy nightmare... plus windowlicker on the soundtrack so, what more could u ask for? 9/10

Just saw 'US' this morning. It was good but not a patch on 'Get Out' (despite what the rave reviews are saying).

Ok, I'm pretty much spoiler free on Get Out. Can someone let me know whether or not there is a supernatural element to it? (this determines whether or not I can convince my wife to watch it - if it's just some straight up humans being dicks to other humans she'll punch me in the face if I make her watch it)

dragged across concrete - lol. a remarkable display of not giving a fuck and just doing something you love, and with great confidence too. less tight than brawl in cell block 99, but also less superficial. there are some interesting layers this time and not just meatheadery (as enjoyable as it was).

Criterion finally announced they're putting out Bruno Dumont's first 2 films (La Vie de Jesus, L'Humanite). Been waiting years for this.

*keeps fingers crossed for an eventual release of Hors Satan on Blu-Ray with English subs*

La Vie de Jesus was really good. Or at least I thought so back when it came out.

• Like 1

dragged across concrete - the somewhat fresh dialogues ended up sounding tiresome and annoying after a while... aside from that it is a pretty straightforward story directed in a very unique and entertaining way...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

what a strange film it was. over long, full of clunky dialog (like the bit where Vaughn laments the intolerance of the modern media, or Gibson's wife telling us how she's really liberal but hates the blacks, because they want to rape her daughter, or that steakout scene that went on forever...). but for all that it was still really enjoyable, reminded me of Southland Tales in a way, a director who doesn't give a fuck about the normal conventions of film making. filled with sudden bursts of horrible violence (that unexpected head explosion was amazing) and really well choreographed action sequences, it was really well made in many ways. oh, and the music, oh my god. all the lyrics were written by the director, and performed by the O'Jays. sounded like an alien doing an impression of what soul music is supposed to sound like, uncanny valley vibes. totally unique film. must check out his previous two next.

Ok, I'm pretty much spoiler free on Get Out. Can someone let me know whether or not there is a supernatural element to it? (this determines whether or not I can convince my wife to watch it - if it's just some straight up humans being dicks to other humans she'll punch me in the face if I make her watch it)

when i watched it, i thought it was a comedy version of the stepford wives- except replace the wives with black dudes- then replace all the underlying sinister elements of the former and add uncomfortable/awkward humor. then make it medicore 

when i watched it, i thought it was a comedy version of the stepford wives- except replace the wives with black dudes- then replace all the underlying sinister elements of the former and add uncomfortable/awkward humor. then make it medicore 

I snort/lol'd IRL to this. 

Watched "Us" this weekend. Won't spoil anything but sounds like similar themes carried off to similar ROI. I'd call it better than mediocre, but not OMFG amazeballs by any means. Some interesting things to think about afterwards about identity/shadow selves/etc. "Quite good" 

But a serious question, if I've seen Before Until the Light Takes Us, am I getting anything other than a smarmy and bitter "I WAS THERE, MAN!" manifesto of someone who never made it in that scene?

who are u talking about? who's smarmy and bitter?

But a serious question, if I've seen Before Until the Light Takes Us, am I getting anything other than a smarmy and bitter "I WAS THERE, MAN!" manifesto of someone who never made it in that scene?

who are u talking about? who's smarmy and bitter?

Ah yes, thanks for the title correction.

And I was referring to Jonas Åkerlund.

And I was referring to Jonas Åkerlund.

ah i thought u meant someone involved in the doc...

Ha, nah I already hated Varg so didn't need the doc for that.

With that said, I had never heard of Frost before the doc (not a big Black Metal fan), and thought the guy was a completely full of shit charlatan after an initial watch. I then go and look him up online and see his prowess as a drummer. That totally changed my view of him in the doc. I went from thinking he was just your average empty exhibitionist, to an exhibitionist who was willing to take major risks that could hinder his talents as a drummer, just for a momentary performance. Not sure respect is the right way to describe it, but I was far less critical of the actions.

King Arthur. The quick-fire Guy Ritchie dialogue and "big beat" soundtrack were annoying, but it was okay. It makes me want to watch Excalibur again after so many years.

i only managed to watch about 10 minutes of this film before i had to stop as it gave me the rage (due it being so fucking good damn awful)

seriously, shit like this makes me want to throw my tv out of the window at guy richie who is hopefully by chance walking by outside.  :trashbear: