I think when you live in a Scandinavian country, your life has so little stress that some kids get bored and make up their own little war to fight.

Dragged Over Concrete....yeah that about sums it up

Even getting a washed up 80's mullet monster like Gibson in couldn't add or detract from this piece of crap

More fool me sitting through it, to the fkn end too, and what an end, a bell-end for indulging the patience needed to fulfil seeing where it went with that black-clad cunt (note to self, watch the actual filems on your drives you complete length). The only redeeming feature was Vince V's character & dialogue, just, well, not really, utterly forgettable

The Culpepper Cattle Co (1972) - fuck me that's a whole generation of faces on screen that you don't see any more. Dust, cattle (obviously), crumpled hats, pre-div beards, you can practically smell the cow-pats. The early/mid 70's was a golden era for American film-making:

MV5BNjA4MzVmZmUtNzQxYi00ZDhhLWE5ZjktOWVj

House was free + no work & all play = rolling on from Culpepper with:

bad-company-movie-poster-1972-1020232634

Daft, funny, tragic, weird, sublime.

my threshold is so high atm that not even an unsimulated rape scene can make me feel anything in particular... well, it's unsimulated sex yes but obviously the rape is simulated so, unsimulated rape scene sounds stupid, but that's what everybody's calling it... it just went by and the only thing it made me think about was if it was indeed necessary... honestly i don't know... i felt pretty numb during the entire movie, pretty much like the main protagonist, maybe that was the goal?

click on the image to be redirected:

MV5BZmNiN2NkN2EtOGEwNy00Mzc4LThjYzctNjhh

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

obviously the rape is simulated so, unsimulated rape scene sounds stupid, but that's what everybody's calling it.

Not only is it stupid, it's insulting to those who participated. If an actor consents to portraying being raped on screen, that should be recognized. And if they *didn't* consent to any sexual activity on screen ("simulated" or otherwise), then that's an assault that needs to be investigated. I get that the former occurred instead of the latter, but the term "unsimulated rape scene" implies the latter.

And as far as being numb to stimulus in film:  I'd suggest maybe reading into psychological studies on that very phenomena. It could help put things in perspective. IMO, it's not healthy or worthwhile to try to measure films solely by the amount of empathy or emotion it can evoke from you. Pasolini's "Salo" is perpetuallly misread because people only want to think about the shock-factor, then unwisely compare the extremities to other films. 

This is not out yet, but I'm full-on excited

I put the chances of this being anything other than ignorant anti nuclear propaganda at 4%.

And as far as being numb to stimulus in film:  I'd suggest maybe reading into psychological studies on that very phenomena. It could help put things in perspective. IMO, it's not healthy or worthwhile to try to measure films solely by the amount of empathy or emotion it can evoke from you. Pasolini's "Salo" is perpetuallly misread because people only want to think about the shock-factor, then unwisely compare the extremities to other films.

yeah thanks for the suggestion but i'm not much of a reader, maybe if you point me into some specific direction...

unfortunately i'm not intellectually smort enough to take enjoyment from movies based on its metaphors and stuff like that, that's probably why i lean more towards empathy/emotion and cinematography... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

yeah thanks for the suggestion but i'm not much of a reader, maybe if you point me into some specific direction...

unfortunately i'm not intellectually smort enough to take enjoyment from movies based on its metaphors and stuff like that, that's probably why i lean more towards empathy/emotion and cinematography... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's all tied together though. To go back to the Salo example. Pasolini intentionally used only middle and long shots, no close-ups. This was done to intentionally place the viewer in the position of a voyeur, rather than implying participation (which close-ups generally do). You are watching the actions unfold from a distance, w/o intervening. That was a metaphor/indictment on the millions who watched WWII in Italy w/o intervening.

Per-the emotional/empathy response in a film, that's typically the machinations/manipulations of the filmmakers. I personally find interest in the director's motivations. If for anything, it's a way for me to find values in films I dislike.

YMMV on how much interest you have in the intentions/machinations of the filmmakers/writers/whatever. If you're enjoyment of films is more visceral, more power to you!

Watched a movie called Resolution today. It's this sorta horror but not really horror movie, really liked it. I love it when films try to visualise something akin to cosmic horrors without showing a monster with its usual tropes. Anyone got similar recs?

Climax was a disappointment. Noe is repeating himself again. The philosophy card drops are stale. Superficial criticism on France, black men obsessing on anal sex, red tunnels, rape, mistaken killing, forced abortion, sexed-up shaved-head dudes, ponytailed brunette in low-cut top, brother/sister obsession, reverse end credits on beginning, stylized main credits in middle, upside-down cam, could go on. Is he capable of doing anything else?

If I hadn’t seen the others I wonder if I would’ve liked this more. Maybe? But I have, many times, and therefore this was boring. Filmmaking team is lucky they got that MG US-theatrical deal through A24, who I’m sure saw this as a piece of business they could cut an easy trailer to. Which provided a confidence booster for global distributors, got everyone paid, and Noe lives to make another...

Watched a movie called Resolution today. It's this sorta horror but not really horror movie, really liked it. I love it when films try to visualise something akin to cosmic horrors without showing a monster with its usual tropes. Anyone got similar recs?

try his last one, The Endless, i kind of hated it but it's getting good reviews... it's very low budget and deals with the same kind of themes but the acting really put it off for me...

The BBC's "Surviving Disaster" is a pretty good docudrama on Chernobyl, would recommend. Much more dry BBC poe-faced about it than that HBO trailer mind.

Edited by WeAreOceans

try his last one, The Endless, i kind of hated it but it's getting good reviews... it's very low budget and deals with the same kind of themes but the acting really put it off for me...

Saw that yesterday and I can see why you don't like it. A lot of scenes feel off in terms of acting, but the idea is there, especially with the connection to Resolution. Could've been done better though, especially the entity and mystery around the camp. This just makes me want to watch Cabin In The Woods again

Saw that yesterday and I can see why you don't like it. A lot of scenes feel off in terms of acting, but the idea is there, especially with the connection to Resolution. Could've been done better though, especially the entity and mystery around the camp. This just makes me want to watch Cabin In The Woods again

Would recommend the movie "Spring" by the same set of directors. Had some issues w / The Endless but I flat out adore "Spring" as being a wonderful, Lovecraftian body horror thing that also made my heart ache. 

I think their movies are tough, though. I think you have to be ready for movies that will probably not really "go anywhere" and be more character studies than plot driven. Also think you have to like/sympathize w/ the main characters, otherwise it's just watching 1-2 people you hate doing stuff for 2 hours. . . 

The BBC's "Surviving Disaster" is a pretty good docudrama on Chernobyl, would recommend. Much more dry BBC poe-faced about it than that HBO trailer mind.

That was mostly pretty good, really highlighted the impact the soviet bureaucracy had on the disaster, but it also promoted now discredited data on the number of deaths (saying 8,000 people had died, and that many more would die). The current position from the UN is that there are only 49 attributable deaths from the accident, previous estimates were based on the increasingly discredited 'linear no-threshold' model of radiation induced cancer (see this, though even that has out of date info, the most recent UN report contradicts the earlier UNSCEAR report from 2000 they list in the 'support' section).

The BBC did a better documentary on the current situation recently (In the Shadow of Chernobyl), they've removed it from iPlayer now unfortunately (though can be found through other means), but this article was based on it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47227767

Chernobyl was a bad disaster, but was a failure of communism more than anything else. People are still engaging in ignorant fear mongering about it today though, e.g: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/03/13/mit-historian-alleges-united-nations-scientific-cover-up-of-death-disease-toll-from-chernobyl/#7e9e757f2626. Such people are a big part of the reason why we haven't made any serious impact on climate change.

I finally watched The Revenant last night and I still feel like I have several layers of skin ripped off.

Sucks to be that French dude.

Edited by Candiru

superb monsieur dupieux (aka mr.oizo)!!! :claps:

this guy is a genius, nuff said...

MV5BZWI0OTllNGYtYjZkNi00NzMwLWJkMDMtMjIz

Just watched it. He is. This was a lot of fun. Great ending. Kafka would approve.

220px-Us_%282019%29_theatrical_poster.pn

laughably medicore. this movie took a while to get to the point- and when it does- it ain't much. then there's the whole "explaining" what the point is- and what a stinker that is. 

and what the hell was that with the holding hands? so all the tethered just wanted to go outside and hold hands across america? and why couldn't they just go up the escalator? and since they were like zombies, they actually lived pretty good in those underground dorms. if someone went diving eg. michael phelps: what did his tether do? dive into concrete? and since red (lupita) was a tether- does that mean the real her is now a tether/zombie thing?

don't get why everyone is so excited about this guy (jordan peele)