I usually go to movies now when I'm hungover as shit.  So pretty hard to please and cynical.   Actually walked out of the last Avengers because the first hour and a half annoyed the shit out of me.  Super fake and forced emotional wah wah shit

So how good was Midsommar for those that have seen it? Heard mixed reactions. People saying it's a slow burner and either liking or disliking it because of that. I've listened to the OST before I've even seen the movie and it's really good.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, dr lopez said:

yeah i had a great time in the theater because i was drunk, but then at home i sobered up and thought it was average to below average

I liked it more than the Homecoming one. Not as good as the multiverse animated one. Though probably the best live action spiderman since spiderman 2. The first "twist" scene was sweet. It's probably more effective if you don't know about Mysterio, which I didn't. An interesting choice of villain for sure.

Edited by Brisbot

On 7/10/2019 at 11:46 PM, Brisbot said:

That is pretty friggin' impressive. . . whoever this guy is he is highly talented (most deepfakes still have a high uncanney valley aspect, particularly in profile views). Also, apparently an Aphex fan:

12 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

That is pretty friggin' impressive. . . whoever this guy is he is highly talented (most deepfakes still have a high uncanney valley aspect, particularly in profile views). Also, apparently an Aphex fan:

I think the technology is impressive. I'm not sure how much effort goes into actually doing them though. He seems to be able to churn these out in a day or two and gets millions of views for it and probably a nice wad of $$$. Might be a good time to jump on the bandwagon since deep fakes seem easyish to make and will probably be popular for a long while.

And the soul catcher video is cool. It looks like you can just get a ton of photos/video of one person, then apply them to multiple scenes fairly quickly. Seems a safe bet to do Jim Carrey since he has a pretty expressive face.

Just now, Brisbot said:

I think the technology is impressive. I'm not sure how much effort goes into actually doing them though. He seems to be able to churn these out in a day or two and gets millions of views for it and probably a nice wad of $$$. Might be a good time to jump on the bandwagon since deep fakes seem easyish to make and will probably be popular for a long while.

Yah, interesting. Suspect you'd have to have a pretty serious rig to knock something like this out. . . if it's just the tech/software, it's come a long way in a pretty short amount of time. . . nuts. . .

5 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Yah, interesting. Suspect you'd have to have a pretty serious rig to knock something like this out. . . if it's just the tech/software, it's come a long way in a pretty short amount of time. . . nuts. . .

Yeah. I really do wonder if we will see actors who have passed away "come back" to star in lead roles in future movies or if audiences will find it disrespectful in some way. It will be doubly mindblowing when they can replicate voices as well as the deepfakes map faces. Well actually I think they're already close to it. Not quite to the level of deepfakes but in a decade we'll have so many fake things people won't be able to trust any media.

Lol I bet I'll be able to have a ai 'lead singer' for making electronic music. I will be able to use Thom Yorke's vocals in my music. Or anyone really.

Edited by Brisbot

13 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Yeah. I really do wonder if we will see actors who have passed away "come back" to star in lead roles in future movies or if audiences will find it disrespectful in some way. It will be doubly mindblowing when they can replicate voices as well as the deepfakes map faces. Well actually I think they're already close to it. Not quite to the level of deepfakes but in a decade we'll have so many fake things people won't be able to trust any media.

Lol I bet I'll be able to have a ai 'lead singer' for making electronic music. I will be able to use Thom Yorke's vocals in my music. Or anyone really.

That's crazy. There was some guy (will see if I can find it) who did a demo where he had cloned Michael Jackson's voice, and was able to pretty much pitch perfect make it say anything. What was crazy was, it was being done essentially realtime. So, he would have someone talking and the software almost immediately could recognize/"translate" it. . . then it sort of disappeared off the face of the earth, all the dude's pages went dormant, etc. 

lol christ it would be amazeballs to have a TY in a box - also seriously a bit terrifying that we are approaching an age were you REALLY can't trust what you see/hear . . . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

That's crazy. There was some guy (will see if I can find it) who did a demo where he had cloned Michael Jackson's voice, and was able to pretty much pitch perfect make it say anything. What was crazy was, it was being done essentially realtime. So, he would have someone talking and the software almost immediately could recognize/"translate" it. . . then it sort of disappeared off the face of the earth, all the dude's pages went dormant, etc. 

lol christ it would be amazeballs to have a TY in a box - also seriously a bit terrifying that we are approaching an age were you REALLY can't trust what you see/hear . . . 

ya plz try to find it since I'm interested in the technology.

I do think that for a while it'll be possible to tell when something is a deep fake or an audio fake due to 'inconsistencies and consistencies'. Like with that Jim Carrey Deep Fake, it looks great, but if you scrutinize, Jim has a different skin tone and type. And with audio, depending on the 'sample size' they're using, you should be able to find replicated bits. IT actually might be straightforward to detect audio fakes for a long time. Joe Rogan has done a million podcasts so there's tons to sample from him. And having a lead single in a box might be a while further off since there would have to be a way to isolate the vocals, and there would have to be many examples of it with consistent audio quality, etc etc.

On a semi related note I can't wait until they can 100% replicate instruments digitally. Imagine having a "synth piano" where you were able to change any parameter of a 'synthetic acoustic instrument' like the size of individual strings, or material of the string, how heavy the keys are, etc. and it sound as if it were like it's acoustic counterpart. Or being able to piece together made up or physically impossible  acoustic instruments that wouldn't be say cheap to create IRL. Or practical. Like a massive piano the size of a building or something. Kinda sounds silly.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brisbot said:

ya plz try to find it since I'm interested in the technology.

I do think that for a while it'll be possible to tell when something is a deep fake or an audio fake due to 'inconsistencies and consistencies'. Like with that Jim Carrey Deep Fake, it looks great, but if you scrutinize, Jim has a different skin tone and type. And with audio, depending on the 'sample size' they're using, you should be able to find replicated bits. IT actually might be straightforward to detect audio fakes for a long time. Joe Rogan has done a million podcasts so there's tons to sample from him. And having a lead single in a box might be a while further off since there would have to be a way to isolate the vocals, and there would have to be many examples of it with consistent audio quality, etc etc.

On a semi related note I can't wait until they can 100% replicate instruments digitally. Imagine having a "synth piano" where you were able to change any parameter of a 'synthetic acoustic instrument' like the size of individual strings, or material of the string, how heavy the keys are, etc. and it sound as if it were like it's acoustic counterpart. Or being able to piece together made up or physically impossible  acoustic instruments that wouldn't be say cheap to create IRL. Or practical. Like a massive piano the size of a building or something. Kinda sounds silly.

Yeah, like looking at pixels in photoshopped images to see if something has been replaced. . . agreed, we're far away from "Thom Yorke sings the Taylor Swift Songbook" but who knows what the future holds. Christ, pop music is about 2 steps away from being completely computer generated as it is. 

Nah, I don't think it sounds silly - it's pretty incredible what sort of things computers have been able to contribute to music already (DSP's, ability to create sounds that literally wouldn't exist any other way). Reaktor actually has some pretty interesting instrumentation models (will look that up when I go home) where you can do things like use the modwheel to "bow" a string. . . not 100% but fairly convincing.  I'd love to hear a ten ton piano prefectly modeled! (but probably we're ages away from that sort of ability in a box that's smaller than an actual 10 ton piano). .. 

EDIT: here's that example of physical modeling was thinking of (bit old by now, but still pretty aces): https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/7463/

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 1

render?category=poster&width=300&tmsid=M

documentary about steve bannon doing his thing- which is basically repeating certain phrases like "a rose between two thorns" (when taking pictures with a man and a woman- and himself) or "everywhere i go i see the same crowds; it's the deplorables, the working class" whilst globe trotting around europe and holding meetings with various government officials and occasionally- upstart members of the press.

it's all clumsy, convoluted and bumbling- yet bannon comes off strangely as rather somewhat like-able- only because it's very apparent his not only way over his head, but he's somewhat so ignorant of just how toxic the state of politics have become (or maybe he really just doesn't seem to care) that he even begins to give free screenings for his silly pro-trump film to journalists literally informing him that the donald just called him "sloppy steve"

On 7/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, Squee said:

Omfg, this looks fucking disgusting!

Apparently my Mom, Aunt, and Grandma saw a this as a play a while ago and started laughing hysterically not too far into it. They pissed a bunch of people off and ended up leaving soon after. I totally understand now.