Guest bitroast

dredd.

every bit as awesome as i was hoping it to be. straight faced, simple plot. nice bits of subtle humour. nice visuals. good story and characters. enjoy music (the music that the hacker was listening to was particularly wicked for the berry fans out there^^). um. yes. haven't read the source material so can't comment on how it stands compared to the comics. but as a stand alone film, i thought it was pretty fantastic.

(the music that the hacker was listening to was particularly wicked for the berry fans out there^^).

Hell yes, I nearly jumped out my seat when that came on.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159391/

Cutting Moments, low budget horror from the 90s.

Actually had great use of tension and silence... its only about 20 minutes long but there were 4 other films on the DVD we watched too (lol, "crack dog"; i'm sure I have seen that one before)

Saw Rec 3: Genesis at the weekend. Not a follower of the series as the found footage thing does my head in but I saw the trailer and thought the new cinematic style was better. Plus it had an absolute honey in a wedding dress wielding a chainsaw. How was I going to say no!?

Anyway it was utter shit.

@Danny O Flannagin, well there's still few things unanswered such as how Granger got to know about the time travelling (which Aaron or Abe told him).. Other than that, as in the video and the chart, there's "simply" multiple Abes and Aarons (loops).

I believe the moral of the story is to show how inconsiderate humans can be when it comes to inventions/discoveries/etc.. Following your own greed and doing what you as an individual think is best..

The Man from Earth - 7+, cool idea / well thought through, though cheesy score and not the most interesting of characters.

Edited by vincentvc

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

It rounds the 'reboot' off very nicely with a strong finale, and contains some of the best setpiece action bits from any Bond film (Istanbul, Shanghai and Scotland in particular). Up there in the Top 3 JB's in my opinion, make sure you catch it - fantastic fun.

The Shanghai scene in particular was fantastic.

The Tenant - 9/10 - I haven't seen Repulsion yet, but i have seen Rosemary's baby. Apparently this film is pt 2 of Roman P's apartment trilogy. I thought it was superior to Rosemary's Baby. Very good representation of what it's like to go psychotic i thought. Probably better than any movie i've ever seen short of Bug or Taxi Driver. Highly Recommended. Any other lesser known Polanski movies i should check out? I've only seen Ninth Gate, Chinatown, Ghostwriter, Carnage, the Pianist and Death of the Maiden (besides the ones i mentioned above)

The Tenant - 9/10 - I haven't seen Repulsion yet, but i have seen Rosemary's baby. Apparently this film is pt 2 of Roman P's apartment trilogy. I thought it was superior to Rosemary's Baby. Very good representation of what it's like to go psychotic i thought. Probably better than any movie i've ever seen short of Bug or Taxi Driver. Highly Recommended. Any other lesser known Polanski movies i should check out? I've only seen Ninth Gate, Chinatown, Ghostwriter, Carnage, the Pianist and Death of the Maiden (besides the ones i mentioned above)

Knife in the water and repulsion are both excellent.

Definitely see Knife in the Water and Repulsion. Repulsion is my favorite of the Apartment trilogy. Some of the psycho-sexual content may be more than a little outmoded, but it's still effective and beautifully constructed and shot. And pretty much the same goes for Knife in the Water. Polanski worked really well in black and white.

Edited by baph

the comedy

i dunno, i feel like im getting a bit tired of tim & eric, not that this was anything like their other stuff, i just didn't think it was very good, or bad, i guess? i was pretty bored by their "billion dollar movie" aswell, but i guess this was better.

frantic if you liked ghost writer, cul de sac if you liked carnage (though it's much darker)

i couldn't get into macbeth or tess

i second cul-de-sac but always saw it as a more proto-haneke'ian 'funny games' kinda tell of mindless violence and terror. probably my fav polanski from the 60s.

total recall (2012)

i really enjoyed it, a lot more than i thought i would. it's cheesy, dumb, old school scifi action with nice visuals (though a bit too many lensflares). no real atempts at originallity or complex characters or unexpected plot twists, just a straight forward high budget scifi action movie. i've missed those.

edit: on second thought, i guess one could say the exact same thing about bays transformers movies, only unlike those, this actually managed to entertain me for 2 hours.

Edited by data

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

Cabin in the Woods

Liked it alot. I missed it when it came out as I'm not into horror so much, but this wasn't scary at all, which I'm sure is a criticism for some. would like to have to seen this with an audience.

Silent Running - 4/10 - one of the most depressing 'uplifting' hippy films i've ever seen. The most heavy handed environmental message perhaps in any movie besides Fern Gully. Fern gully is a much more watchable film with more believable characters. Even the effects by the 2001 guy are really bad looking. The soundtrack is also horrible. Weird film though. Moon with Sam rockwell sort of borrows from it , but Moon is a much better movie.

Polisse - Absolutely brilliant slice of French social realism. Almost fly on the wall docu style drama following the lives and work of the Paris Police Child Protection Unit . Directed by Maiwenn and based on actual cases that she saw or was shown while working with the CPU researching the subject. Some stunning acting. Some pretty heart breaking stuff which is to be expected given the nature of the subject matter but balanced with some serious lols (the smartphone scene). Best film I have scene in a while. Plus Roxy Delgado from Braquo. I never give a 10 / 10 (unless drunk and rambling about Robert Altman) so this is a definite 9 /10

Cabin in the Woods

Liked it alot. I missed it when it came out as I'm not into horror so much, but this wasn't scary at all, which I'm sure is a criticism for some. would like to have to seen this with an audience.

Was it even meant to be scary? If it was it failed by trying to be "clever" about it. Was fun I guess. Wouldn't watch again.