On 7/30/2020 at 10:35 PM, dingformung said:

Time of the Gypsies: A masterpiece that is so many things at the same time. A truly outstanding piece of art. It's funny, sad, psychedelic, unpredictable and unusual in a very unpretentious way. Watch it if you haven't.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Denis Villeneuve Says He’s Sprinting to Finish Dune on Time
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1143970-denis-villeneuve-says-hes-sprinting-to-finish-dune-on-time

“We were about to finish some shooting… the movie was like almost finished,” He explained. “Dune has been made in an unusual way which is that we made the main shooting, and then I edited that part of the movie and I was planning to go back to shoot some elements later because I wanted to readjust the movie – I needed time, and it’s a luxury that I had [before the pandemic]… When the virus hit North America as we were about to go back to do those elements.”

“The impact was that it crushed my schedule right now. It will be a sprint to finish the movie on time right now. We were allowed to go back to shoot – we’re going back to shoot those elements in a few weeks, [the ones] we were supposed to shoot earlier. It meant that I also had to finish some elements of the movie like VFX and the editing being in Montreal as my crew stayed in Los Angeles.”

“I will say as a director there are things that can be done remotely to deal with technology, all the supervision of VFX with some equipment is kind of easy to do from afar… for me the big lesson of this is I thought that it would be possible to edit at a distance having my editor [Joe Walker] sharing with computers, being far from one another, but I realize how much editing is like playing music with someone and you need to be in the same room. I mean there’s something about the interaction, human interaction, spontaneity, the energy in the room. I really miss not being in the same room with my editor.”

He continued, “I’m saying, as an artist, to edit my movie not being in the same room as my editor is very, very painful. Also maybe one of the reasons is the editor is also a psychiatrist – I mean he’s the one who’s dealing with my anxiety and my panic attacks and my fears and receiving my joys. I think that in the future, if ever something like that happened again, definitely I will make sure that my editor is close to me. Editing is a very important part of the filmmaking process for me, maybe the most important. It’s the time where you rewrite the movie in some ways.”

Doubt the execs will be happy with this interview. :catrecline:

38 minutes ago, ManjuShri said:

why?  just because the process has been difficult for him personally doesnt mean the movie cant be great.  in general directors / anyone with that level of creative control are always going to have quirks.  david lynch openly lambasts execs/rushed schedules and he still manages to finance his work okay.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, perunamuusi said:

This is free on prime and I definitely would have scrolled straight past this if it wasn't for that del Toro tweet. Intrigued now.

FWIW when I saw this (what is now years ago) it truly moved me. It helped that I went in with 0 expectations though - going in expecting this to be something other than a very weird, indy take on horror is going to leave you disappointed. It's much more a meditation in love, infatuation, and maybe sacrifice and mortality. I legit cried though, it kind of broke my heart in the best way possible.

I'm pretty emo tho, so totally up my alley 

*runs to to bedroom, slams door*

*puts on new Taylor Swift album*

*weeps loudly* 

3 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

Denis Villeneuve Says He’s Sprinting to Finish Dune on Time
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1143970-denis-villeneuve-says-hes-sprinting-to-finish-dune-on-time

“We were about to finish some shooting… the movie was like almost finished,” He explained. “Dune has been made in an unusual way which is that we made the main shooting, and then I edited that part of the movie and I was planning to go back to shoot some elements later because I wanted to readjust the movie – I needed time, and it’s a luxury that I had [before the pandemic]… When the virus hit North America as we were about to go back to do those elements.”

“The impact was that it crushed my schedule right now. It will be a sprint to finish the movie on time right now. We were allowed to go back to shoot – we’re going back to shoot those elements in a few weeks, [the ones] we were supposed to shoot earlier. It meant that I also had to finish some elements of the movie like VFX and the editing being in Montreal as my crew stayed in Los Angeles.”

“I will say as a director there are things that can be done remotely to deal with technology, all the supervision of VFX with some equipment is kind of easy to do from afar… for me the big lesson of this is I thought that it would be possible to edit at a distance having my editor [Joe Walker] sharing with computers, being far from one another, but I realize how much editing is like playing music with someone and you need to be in the same room. I mean there’s something about the interaction, human interaction, spontaneity, the energy in the room. I really miss not being in the same room with my editor.”

He continued, “I’m saying, as an artist, to edit my movie not being in the same room as my editor is very, very painful. Also maybe one of the reasons is the editor is also a psychiatrist – I mean he’s the one who’s dealing with my anxiety and my panic attacks and my fears and receiving my joys. I think that in the future, if ever something like that happened again, definitely I will make sure that my editor is close to me. Editing is a very important part of the filmmaking process for me, maybe the most important. It’s the time where you rewrite the movie in some ways.”

Hm, sounds like the headline should rather be something along the lines of "Denis Villeneuve Says, Fuck Knows When this Frickin' Movie Will Be out". 

2 hours ago, markedone said:

david lynch openly lambasts execs/rushed schedules and he still manages to finance his work okay.

Does he though?

I was openly lambasted by David Lynch. My name is my name, but I still finance his work to this day. His recent animated short? I had to sell two of my most fire Beanie Babies to fund that thing, but that is the cross I choose to bear.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, IDEM said:

Does he though?

lol, the video im referencing is no longer on youtube, so maybe 'the execs' are not cool with it after all.  it was from the set of twin peaks, him working out a scene with the actors and then flipping out at a producer who tried to hint at him that he had to hurry up. 

he's also sick of your bullshit @Candiru but needs that advance for casting.  he's seen your og patti fucken platypus behind your knockoff knoll desk in your shitty office.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:08 PM, Mindphaser said:

murder death koreatown

this has haunted my brain a bit. not sure if it's real found footage thing. probably bollocks. memorable.

I watched this too. Not sure quite what to make of it, but my gut tells me it was an elaborate prank based around a true crime. 

8 minutes ago, Lapis Lazuli said:

I remeber mulholland drive just being in a single appartment or something. 

You remember wrong and it's one of my favourite films by him, along with Inland Empire and Lost Highway. But they are all very good if you are in the mood and certainly unique. ?‍♂️ But to each their own ??

28 minutes ago, Lapis Lazuli said:

well considering the films title is 'mulholland drive' and 'mulholland drive' is the basis of the plot twist im not completely wrong. Its very geographicly boring. 

The irony to this quote is almost too good to be true.

26 minutes ago, Lapis Lazuli said:

why. the film is off the rails when it goes too far out of hollywood. they should have just cut the scenes out. 

You claim the film takes place almost entirely in an apartment. This is false. One of Lynch's greatest talents is implying a sense of claustrophobia when it's not actually there.

As well, I have no idea what "too far out of Hollywood" means. To be pedantic, part of Mulholland Drive (including what's shown in the opening credits) is actually in Hollywood. As well the idea of Mulholland Drive being geographically boring is equally baffling to me. It's one of the coolest scenic routes in L.A. and a lot of people do idiotic racing on it so boring is a bad descriptor. As far as the movie, I quite like how it shifts. The tone is different but the film itself is still a linear trajectory.

• Like 1