i watched dunkirk again. ... why is this movie so small scale? why not tell the story of all the french guys who brought up the rear and got slaughtered or captured by the germans?

Completely agree. You summed it up nicely. I bet Nolan films his children's birthdays (I don't know/care if he's got any) by pointing the camera at the ceiling and taking some napkin close-ups instead of everything else.

Watched Annihilation and thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed the odd/unexplained otherworldly fantasy elements. 

I've seen Ex Machina too and thoroughly enjoy the feel evoked by that too.

Does anyone have any other Scifi/fantasy recs of this kind for me to explore? I've seen Stalker already if that's one people may mention - Loved it.

Watched Annihilation and thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed the odd/unexplained otherworldly fantasy elements. 

I've seen Ex Machina too and thoroughly enjoy the feel evoked by that too.

Does anyone have any other Scifi/fantasy recs of this kind for me to explore? I've seen Stalker already if that's one people may mention - Loved it.

Under the Skin maybe?

Coherence is interesting but be prepared... it’s very indie.

Midnight Special was ok but it overstayed its welcome... and that ending. Also, I don’t think it has the dark vibes that Polytrix is looking for.

Guest Ovitus

Right, Midnight Special was not as ominous as the those other films. I know the vibe he's talking about though.

Beyond the Black Rainbow has been listed here x1000.. It's very dark and cinematography is very Kubrick. Probably best bet right now is go watch some of the better Black Mirror episodes, although they deal with technology advancement and dystopia moreso then alien encounters.

I second his recommendation request though. All I can think of atm is classic like Close Encounters of the 3rd kind or something like the ending of Contact. Need more DMT inspired films.

Moon? Enemy? Predestination? Triangle?

Some of these are not as good as the others.

Thank you!! Keep the recs coming.

Yeah I like Black Mirror a lot but I prefer stuff which is otherworldly rather than socio-critical (I'm not sure if that's a word but you get me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moon? Enemy? Predestination? Triangle?

Some of these are not as good as the others.

Not seen Predestination, is that the not as good one?

Moon and Triangle are my fave genre of movie. The missing-episode-of-90s-Outer-Limits genre.

I'm going to suggest Looper and Interstellar as well, sorry guys.

agree that Predestination is both ok and awful, in an endearing way.

still love Beyond the Black Rainbow as much as when I first saw it.

another film that might be in that category you seek is Love - super weird indie space isolation flick. it doesn't have a big payoff though.

moon was great other than knowing the ending from watching the trailer. looper was pretty fun. primer was really good despite the horrible acting. his other one was pretty good too, upstream color? a much better nonsense movie than annihilation huehue

Agree

Also, OG Solaris is incredible, another earth is ok-ish if you want more thing

Edited by Gocab

Thank you very much there's a few there I really haven't seen so I'm excited to see them.

Contact is one of my all time favourite films so yeah, that's the idea. I want to be amazed/awe inspired by imaginations of other worlds- woooooooooooo

i ended up not knowing which kind of movie we're suggesting here, it went from annihilation to coherence, then primer with a deviation trough black rainbow and then it got back to alien movies with arrival... i'm lost here...

gonna stick with the alien ones, since no one mentioned, the second

cloverfield, i think it's called 10 cloverfield lane, is pretty cool... although, it is about aliens but ends up being just a good thriller...

edit:

just read this:

Thank you very much there's a few there I really haven't seen so I'm excited to see them.

Contact is one of my all time favourite films so yeah, that's the idea. I want to be amazed/awe inspired by imaginations of other worlds- woooooooooooo

alien worlds, hummmmm, nothing comes to mind atm, planète sauvage? it's animation though...

btw, i thought coherence was pretty bad a mess, gotta watch it again maybe i missed something...