Just saw The Last Black Man In San Francisco last night. Incredible movie. By far, one of the most original films I’ve seen in a while. Extremely well made. The performances were all excellent. Highly recommended ?

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane Poster

just watched this, mainly because in twin peaks s03 audrey makes a reference to it... it was a pretty cool movie but i couldn't make the connection...

also it´s pretty weird how pedophilia was looked at back in the 70's... so this director/writer creates a villain, which is a pedophile character, obviously as a critique, and then ends up showing us a 13 years old naked julia roberts getting in bed with a teenager quite a bit older than her... :facepalm:

ok now i member, audrey liked coop and he was always running away from her cause she was too young... can´t be just that though...

Edited by Tim_J

yes, love that film. if i remember correctly, there was a "mystery" in her basement

Spoiler

and when the martin sheen's mom comes over the let's her take a look or something. i remember that scene being rather haunting despite the fact that you don't see anything. also, doesn't that one kid sleep in the same bedroom as jodie foster despite her being 14?

2 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

yes, love that film. if i remember correctly, there was a "mystery" in her basement

Hide contents

and when the martin sheen's mom comes over the let's her take a look or something. i remember that scene being rather haunting despite the fact that you don't see anything. also, doesn't that one kid sleep in the same bedroom as jodie foster despite her being 14?

Spoiler

she's 13 and yes they get in bed naked together...

the mystery in her basement is her dead mom, she tells the story how it happened to that kid...

oh my this new forum formatting is getting on my nerves, all this extra paragraphs just fuck up with my ocd... can't delete them no matter how hard i try...

Edited by Tim_J

^^ yes i remember what the "mystery" was, but i don't remember how it happened. one thing i remembered is, that film reminds me a lot of another film called 'where the lilies bloom' which has a somewhat similar plot and stars harry dean stanton as a (somewhat) similar (though less graphic) character to the one played by martin sheen. 

that film is kinda like a less childish version of 'little house on the prairie' which starred charlotte stewart.

4 hours ago, Tim_J said:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane Poster

just watched this, mainly because in twin peaks s03 audrey makes a reference to it... it was a pretty cool movie but i couldn't make the connection...

also it´s pretty weird how pedophilia was looked at back in the 70's... so this director/writer creates a villain, which is a pedophile character, obviously as a critique, and then ends up showing us a 13 years old naked julia roberts getting in bed with a teenager quite a bit older than her... :facepalm:

ok now i member, audrey liked coop and he was always running away from her cause she was too young... can´t be just that though...

First time I remember seeing Julia Roberts was on Miami Vice around 1989, she must have been like 21 years old.

IMG_5765.JPG

Finally bought the blu-ray of Shoah (only had a torrent before). For those unaware, it's Claude Lanzmann's 9.5 hour documentary on the Holocaust which came out in the mid-80's. No archival footage is used. You are introduced to several "witnesses" (survivors, townspeople near the camps who were alive at the time, some of the Nazi functionaries), who tell their stories. 

I understand that Lanzmann is polarizing, but I find it inappropriate to watch this work and focus on the director. I *do* understand the criticisms of only translating (for subtitles) the translator for the Polish/Yiddish/Hebrew (Lanzmann didn't need a translator for German and English), but it's a catch-22 because without a translator, there's no way these stories come out the way they do. However, I'm left with the strong feeling that a lot of important nuance is lost w/o your own knowledge of Polish, Yiddish or Hebrew. It would be interesting to see a version w/their words translated directly to subtitle, instead of the translator's.

The dualities of the natural beauty (mostly) shown to you vs. the horrors being dictated to you at the same time are very moving. It would be near impossible not to be moved by the stories of the survivors, however the total lack of archival footage, instead choosing to show you these places in near or total stillness. Between that and the running time, Shoah somehow a strange and complete inverse of Night and Fog. I'd say both are vital viewing for study on the Holocaust.

I will stop there, but yes, a lot to say about this film. Highly recommended. Here is an amazing read about it's premier in Jerusalem:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/10/the-day-israel-saw-shoah.

Edited by Taupe Beats

i tried watching shoah a few times, but i always get ridiculously bored mainly because it's just talking heads. it's almost like this film is for scholars who need witness testimony or for documentary filmmakers that need access to hours of interview footage. 

as a film, it's not my thing. as witness accounts of the holocaust- i guess it's fantastic. but i barely made it past the first hour

^ I just got back from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

The movie takes its time, and you feel it. But it's also the least juvenile QT film since Jackie Brown. I was wondering if he would ever make another movie that doesn't take place in the over-the-top cartoonish violence stylized universe that all his movies since Kill Bill have taken place in. I got it and I definitely enjoyed it. 

I read some reviews that have talked about the Manson family involved climax and they were highly misleading about what actually happens in the movie. They made it sound like there was going to be some gratuitous bad taste, but honestly, I compulsively clapped at one point and the audience was fuckin loving it too. I left with a good feeling, a major upgrade for me after The Hateful Eight, which was my least favorite of his.

Edited by Candiru

35 minutes ago, Candiru said:

^ I just got back from Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

The movie takes its time, and you feel it. But it's also the least juvenile QT film since Jackie Brown. I was wondering if he would ever make another movie that doesn't take place in the over-the-top cartoonish violence stylized universe that all his movies since Kill Bill have taken place in. I got it and I definitely enjoyed it. 

I read some reviews that have talked about the Manson family involved climax and they were highly misleading about what actually happens in the movie. They made it sound like there was going to be some gratuitous bad taste, but honestly, I compulsively clapped at one point and the audience was fuckin loving it too. I left with a good feeling, a major upgrade for me after The Hateful Eight, which was my least favorite of his.

I just saw this tonight. I enjoyed it, as I enjoy every QT film. Lots of great scenes and great performances... as expected.

Having said that, this may have been my least favorite of his movies. 

I’m too tired to outline exactly why, but just go to Rotten Tomatoes and read all of the negative reviews from the “top critics” and I agree with most of what they are writing ( except Rex Reed’s review in the observer ... don’t read his review, especially if you haven’t seen it yet. He drops some very reckless spoilers). 

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I just saw this tonight. I enjoyed it, as I enjoy every QT film. Lots of great scenes and great performances... as expected.

Having said that, this may have been my least favorite of his movies. 

I’m too tired to outline exactly why, but just go to Rotten Tomatoes and read all of the negative reviews from the “top critics” and I agree with most of what they are writing ( except Rex Reed’s review in the observer ... don’t read his review, especially if you haven’t seen it yet. He drops some very reckless spoilers). 

When I left the theater I thought "hmmm, I need to watch that again" and I look forward to it because of the parts that were really good and in spite of the parts that meandered. I also think there's some clever thematic stuff to connect the dots on more. Plus the LOLS, which were had.

I still haven't felt like watching Hateful 8 again.

Watched "Tolkien".  My new thing is the last 2 hours of work I stream movies on my phone under the desk.  Pretty sure people are noticing hahaha.

But about the movie.  Not horrid, but focused hella-alot on the love story.  A bit too much probably- especially with the amount of shit Tolkien went through and stood for.  I'm a sap so I didn't mind it.  Unfortunately as much as I kind of like that actor, I think he is not great at acting.  It was the Han Solo effect.  Looks the part and you would expect him to play the role well, but absolutely zero believability or charisma.

Edited by lyst

this was fun, sometimes the slapstick comedy got on my nerves but all in all i enjoyed it...
The Monster Poster

one of the worst things i've ever watch... there's no point in watching this movie... what's wrong with these people they sound like they have some kind of speech impediment, and a brain impediment as well...
The Acid House Poster

don't know what to say, it entertained me, but i'll sound too pretentious if i'll try to explain why...
Mysterious Object at Noon Poster

erotic_nights_of_the_living_dead.jpg

a classic piece of horrific filmmaking- d'amato's masterpiece was one of the few films to mix the erotica genre with the zombie one to help fuel the horrotica filmcraze that was all the rage in europe. 

the story is about a land developer who's planning on buying one of the smaller islands around santo domingo in order to build a hotel. the island is remote, so he and hires a sea captain to take him (and a socialite who he has gotten to know in a very personal way) to the island which, unbeknownst to the entire party, has a voodoo curse that raises the dead. 

inbetwix that complex narrative is lots of coitus which helps give our heros some depths of perspective. a fascination insight to what's at risk if they don't come out alive.

seven out of ten headless corpses in a body donation center

Just saw "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood". Fantastic. Tarantino out the wazoo but some great shots - super interesting use of close-ups. As well, a totally media rich movie. The use of audio throughout...mmmmlush. Highly recommend.

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Just saw "Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood". Fantastic. Tarantino out the wazoo but some great shots - super interesting use of close-ups. As well, a totally media rich movie. The use of audio throughout...mmmmlush. Highly recommend.

I'm really glad he made a movie like this. I bet a lot of people will think it's boring, but the characters were the best. That ending gets better every time i think about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I also like it when a movie has like audio and shit that you can actually hear and stuff.