9 hours ago, iococoi said:

bit of a carpenter fright night, yesterday

Se Fog

Prince of Darkness

both xclnte

Carpenter claims Prince of Darkness is part of his "Apocalypse Trilogy" including The Thing, and In the Mouth of Madness.  All great.

It was my turn to pick a movie on Sunday night and I selected the newest Fast and Furious. I thought it would be a fun mindless action/adventure but my wife genuinely thought I was trolling her it was such trash.

I will be watching my stupid films on my phone for the foreseeable future now. Thanks James Stantham and the Rock. Fucking idiots.

Edited by Enthusiast
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Prince of Darkness

This is my favorite Carpenter film. I'd hesitate to say it is his best, since that's subjective, but this film scared the hell out of me, and there is a scene where a woman sacrifices herself and moves between worlds, and the shot only lasts for a few seconds maybe if I remember correctly, but it is absolutely breathtaking, one of the choicest moments in film in my eyes, up there with the tommy gun sequence in Miller's Crossing.

4 hours ago, auxien said:

I very much enjoy PoD but The Thing is better, hands down. Both are still very good (PoD is full of some silly flaws tho)

The Thing is on of my all time favorites. Such a great movie. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Drum Up said:

This is my favorite Carpenter film. I'd hesitate to say it is his best, since that's subjective, but this film scared the hell out of me, and there is a scene where a woman sacrifices herself and moves between worlds, and the shot only lasts for a few seconds maybe if I remember correctly, but it is absolutely breathtaking, one of the choicest moments in film in my eyes, up there with the tommy gun sequence in Miller's Crossing.

that*s indeed a very iconic scene..

prince_of_darkness2.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 2:33 AM, donquixote said:

The Entity - This is really good for a supernatural early 80s horror. Also because of "if it really is me" I've got this mad childhood affinity with the woman's voice that almost gives me goose bumps. Good synth pad sequence sequence towards the end too. 

One of the all-time great experimental short films was made entirely out of footage from The Entity

I got incredibly lucky and saw this for the first time in a theater back in '01-'02 (it was part of a full Tscherkassky retrospective, no less). Was the major catalyst for my interest in film.

• Thanks 1

midsommar was overhyped as shit. Good design and good acting and pretty good camera work but serious issues in the script and holy fuck — editing. why was this movie 2 hours and 40 minutes?? Apparently there was a directors cut that was even longer ffs. if you’re going to make a scary movie that is a very obvious metaphor for a breakup than keep it under 90 minutes. ending was painful... oh so she’s grimacing and grimacing and then she purged her negative energy and boyfriend and then smiled. great. how obvious.

and this is a minor point but in no way whatsoever did the movie need that ghastly beginning with her sister and parents. Why was it there??? If anything a few more scenes about the classic strains of a crumbling relationship would have been more convincing in the general arc of the film. apart from the parents thing I thought it was set up really well, and the tensions between the four outsiders was getting really good halfway through. And then it just kinda fell apart and got boring. There’s only so much slomo “spooky cult” stuff we can take. Oh and kind of an embarrassing missed opportunity to have no element of the plot revolve around it actually being midsommar beyond a throwaway line when they arrive? To challenge the typical dark and mysterious vibe of horror films by staging it when the sun doesn’t set is a great idea but you should actually integrate it into the plot. Only time was when the bf was leaving the sex cult and didn’t have anywhere to hide because it was bright out. I guess. oh yeah and his name is Christian. the pagan cult kills a guy named Christian. flol hurr durr

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

One of the all-time great experimental short films was made entirely out of footage from The Entity

Thanks for posting this, never heard of it before, enjoyed much. The beginning reminds me of the gas station exterior scenes in S3E8 of Twin Peaks. Feels like Lynch has seen this.

16 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

I got incredibly lucky and saw this for the first time in a theater back in '01-'02 (it was part of a full Tscherkassky retrospective, no less). Was the major catalyst for my interest in film.

Nice. Will be checking soon..

I just went to the cinema for the first time in four years to see Fantastic Fungi.  I regret that decision.  It was a 90-minute advertisement for psilocybin that for some reason was being marketed as if it were a nature documentary.  I learned nothing interesting and had the same few points drilled into me for the entire length of the film.  What a massive waste of money.  I was intending to stay for the Q&A with the producers but had nothing nice to say about it so I left early.  That film was an atrocious example of poor film direction.

a0zVcyI.jpg

found this incredibly mediocre. if you know the story of dolemite, it's pretty much a by-the-numbers "this is what happened" with practically no insight into the man himself.

also, not sure if it's just me, but eddie murphy has lost a lot of his confidence. perhaps it's his age, but he seems reserved. 80s eddie, like rudy ray moore, felt dangerously on the edge- like their morality was held together by a "fuck my tragic history" attitude. i didn't get that in this, which imo, makes the character (and film) shallow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

a0zVcyI.jpg

found this incredibly mediocre. if you know the story of dolemite, it's pretty much a by-the-numbers "this is what happened" with practically no insight into the man himself.

also, not sure if it's just me, but eddie murphy has lost a lot of his confidence. perhaps it's his age, but he seems reserved. 80s eddie, like rudy ray moore, felt dangerously on the edge- like their morality was held together by a "fuck my tragic history" attitude. i didn't get that in this, which imo, makes the character (and film) shallow. 

I loved the digs against Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:33 PM, Nebraska said:

a0zVcyI.jpg

He's also planning a come back and wants to join the comedy circuit again, doing gigs and such. He said it himself in a recent interview, those muscles have atrophied.

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

He's also planning a come back and wants to join the comedy circuit again, doing gigs and such. He said it himself in a recent interview, those muscles have atrophied.

he also apologized for his early "ignorant" material that made him edgy.  

i think this dolemite film was part of the deal he made with netflix for his comedy special- and that may also have something to do with the upcoming 'coming 2 america' sequel he also has coming soon (you'll notice the director and some of the cast have spilled over to that project as well).

business as usual 

giphy.gif