I finally caught up on some movie watching:

Joker - massively overhyped, beautifully shot, but too damn depressing and honestly I felt if they hadn't shoehorned Thomas/Bruce Wayne in, it could have been about anybody and not really a Joker origin story. Great acting on Phoenix's part, but other than that nothing I want to watch again.

Terminator: Dark Fate - I went it with guarded expectations considering it bombed at the box office and got withering reviews, but I really like it! A worthy follow up to Terminator 2, and worth a watch. I think the previous movie shitcanned this one's chances of ever being seen for what it is. About the only thing I didn't like was the subtitle of the movie.

Ford vs Ferrari - Excellent story, beautifully shot, and spot-on with the right stuff from the era. Matt Damon and Christian Bale are excellent in their roles.

• Thanks 1

yeah, I downloaded it yesterday. afraid to watch, internet reviews are so often way off the mark, but also this was never going to be any good, was it?

I'm having some issues with the current de-aging technology. Unable to watch the Irishman with Madame Tussauds de Niro in the lead. Jfc, way to break immersion.

Oh yeah, I accidentally downloaded the high frame rate version of Gemini man and watched it while texting, movie is piss poor, and the high frame rate makes it look like amateur hour. De-aged will smith looks more convincing than the above though (in the low light shots). I wanted a stupid action film, but this was just sad.

Edited by Gocab

Ewan McGregor is a fine actor but Doctor Sleep is an atrocity and there’s only so much he can do. Even if it didn’t stand in the shadow of The Shining it would still be a bad movie. 

52b602dfb554032c7770685b0a4c3b16d8e2e378

Does this scare you? If so Dr Sleep is the film for you. If not you really really shouldn't bother.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:11 PM, Squee said:

Watching Basket Case. Holy shit. 

This is one of the most solid trilogies in film. Watch them all if you loved the first, seriously. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tec said:

This is one of the most solid trilogies in film. Watch them all if you loved the first, seriously. 

I enjoyed it. It was hysterical but that god damn noise the twin made was terrifyiing!

Stray-Cat-Rock-Sex-Hunter.jpg

a member of the alley cats, a delinquent japanese girl gang, dumps her gangster boyfriend from the eagles (male version of the alley cats) in favor of a half breed (half black, half japanese guy). this leads to an all out war betwix the two (once associated) gangs ensues.

this is more of a commentary of the times social climate- with foreigners depicted as hard working and law abiding, while the deliquent gangs (made up of japanese citizens) are only involved my crime, casual sex and excessive drug use (read as: smoking hashish in love hotels).

think of this more like a japanese version of foxy brown and cleopatra jones vs jim brown and co. and you're half way there

Just now, Nebraska said:

Stray-Cat-Rock-Sex-Hunter.jpg

a member of the alley cats, a delinquent japanese girl gang, dumps her gangster boyfriend from the eagles (male version of the alley cats) in favor of a half breed (half black, half japanese guy). this leads to an all out war betwix the two (once associated) gangs ensues.

this is more of a commentary of the times social climate- with foreigners depicted as hard working and law abiding, while the deliquent gangs (made up of japanese citizens) are only involved my crime, casual sex and excessive drug use (read as: smoking hashish in love hotels).

think of this more like a japanese version of foxy brown and cleopatra jones vs jim brown and co. and you're half way there

Dude u always forget to name the movie u review... :^)

Edited by Tim_J

The lighthouse is what I wanted from a new Shining film. Alcoholism, madness, hallucinations, it even had a bloke limping about with an axe. Doctor Sleep is proper pants. 

I recently watched Uncut Gems & Richard Jewell... btw, I just now noticed a theme! ? ? ?

Uncut Gems:

5/10 maybe 4/10. The movie was very tense and, besides the performances, that is the best thing about it. The writing was terrible tho. None of the characters mades sense and I always find it hard watching a main character with ZERO redeeming qualities. I did not give a shit about Adam Sandler's character for a single second in this film because he was (A) a stupid fucking moron and (B) he was an asshole. Seriously. If I want to watch a stupid asshole/moron, I'd watch Fox news for 5 seconds at any time of day and call it quits there.

I get all of the hype about this being a landmark performance for Sandler, but I just hated watching him and wanted someone to shoot him in the face from the first second he was on screen. Then I had to watch him fucking things up for 2 hours (not to mention while some hot, younger girl threw herself at him for some unknown reason). No thanks. 

Although I enjoyed Good Time, I'm over the Safdie Brothers. Fuck those dudes and their painfully limited "bro" view of the world. These guys couldn't create a thoughtful or lovable character if they had 10 years to write a movie.

Richard Jewell:

Loved it / 10. Best Clint Eastwood movie I've seen is a VERY long time. Maybe this is my favorite film of his. Probably is.

GREAT cast. So good. Everyone was perfect. I loved the story and how they developed Richard. Paul Walter Hauser is amazing. So are Sam Rockwell & Kathy Bates. I'm really surprised this movie isn't getting more attention ( #trumpsamerica ). At least Kathy Bates was nominated for an oscar. 

• Like 1

just watched the lighthouse. Some of it felt like a student film but I got passed that rather quickly. Photography and lighting were beyond good. The score and sound design were about as good as it gets. The creaks and sirens and music all felt like one piece. It was claustrophobic and demented as fuck. o

Edited by jules