when i was in high school my first girlfriend was in the theater and through her i became friends with the theater kids. one day at lunch period i was with 3 of these kids, a dude and two women. the dude's bday was coming up and we asked what he wanted. without missing a beat he frankly answered "a threesome with you two beautiful girls." they were like yeah right yuck gag me with a spoon etc. after he left we got to talking and somehow devised the following scheme: the girls would use their acting abilities to convince him they changed their minds and consented to the threesome. however, in reality it would be a big prank. which went as follows: he arrived at the apartment of one of the girls (she was "emancipated" from her parents and lived in her own place). i was hiding in a closet in the living room listening for certain dialog cues we had predetermined. once a certain phrase was said i opened the door to let in like a dozen theater kids who all crept around the bedroom door. again listening for cues we waited until the fatal phrase upon which we all burst into the room with streamers, poppers, confetti, balloons, etc. one guy was filming. the lothario who thought he was having a threesome was literally tied to the bed, nude, and fully hard. he took it in good stride and we all went to see the matrix which had just come out.

last night i watched the matrix. it was fucking good as hell. held up way better than i expected, actually. fun movie, lots of grand shit happening in the way it's shot and edited. i think the theme is really smart and still interesting. incredible action stuff which holds up way better than the majority of major hollywood stuff. super cool.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

i too rewatched the matrix last week. it fucking rules honestly. there are a ton of great aesthetic moves the production design takes, but easily my favorite is that the "agents", the evil antagonists, are these cookie-cutter corporate suits. It sounds obvious now, but doing that in what is ostensibly a sci fi action film is hilarious, especially when they do the fighting themselves. 

edit: flol at the threesome story

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

LOL

I think they pretty much summed up the entire film in less than two minutes in that trailer, so what's the point in wasting two hours watching it? This is a trend nowadays imo, trailers just being supercondensed versions of the film, giving away all the plot points/twists.

Edit: maybe not, just for the predictable garbage. This certainly looks more like a skit than a film.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Haha 1

81eBMbnWkzL._SX342_.jpg

there is a scene, about 10 minutes into the film, when ator (the hero) is running in a field with a girl. when they stop to rest, ator turns to her and professes his love. 
"i love you too ator" she replies. 
ator ponders for a while then asks her, "why can't we get married?"
"because we are brother and sister" she replies.
after mulling it over for a few seconds ator suggests "i'll talk to our father about it"

it's difficult to put into words just how ludicrous this film is, but just imagine a very listless conan the barbarian ripoff acted out by people that have guns pointed to their heads. also, the saber toothed tiger on the cover isn't on the film- instead we have a bear cub that helps rescue a girl by humping a tree. i'm not making that up either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

21 hours ago, Nebraska said:

81eBMbnWkzL._SX342_.jpg

there is a scene, about 10 minutes into the film, when ator (the hero) is running in a field with a girl. when they stop to rest, ator turns to her and professes his love. 
"i love you too ator" she replies. 
ator ponders for a while then asks her, "why can't we get married?"
"because we are brother and sister" she replies.
after mulling it over for a few seconds ator suggests "i'll talk to our father about it"

it's difficult to put into words just how ludicrous this film is, but just imagine a very listless conan the barbarian ripoff acted out by people that have guns pointed to their heads. also, the saber toothed tiger on the cover isn't on the film- instead we have a bear cub that helps rescue a girl by humping a tree. i'm not making that up either.

I don't think I've seen this, will have to correct that. I 'loved' Iron Warrior as a kid, it seems like it's the same character, I wonder what order they should be watched in to get the full Ator backstory. 

MV5BYjFlZDNmOGEtZTY4Ny00Y2Q0LWI3MWMtYzBhOGFhYzI4MzIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.52ced6a495cf6bef27d8983eff5c5951.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:42 PM, dr lopez said:

i too rewatched the matrix last week. it fucking rules honestly. there are a ton of great aesthetic moves the production design takes, but easily my favorite is that the "agents", the evil antagonists, are these cookie-cutter corporate suits. It sounds obvious now, but doing that in what is ostensibly a sci fi action film is hilarious, especially when they do the fighting themselves. 

edit: flol at the threesome story

I three just rewatched the Matrix as well the other night.  What a cinematic experience.  Completely holds up and is just as cool and ahead-of-its time now as it was when it was released.  I feel bad all of the following movies have almost soured the Matrix for me though, none of them came even close to as good as the original.  It's quite sad when that happens.

16 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

I don't think I've seen this, will have to correct that. I 'loved' Iron Warrior as a kid, it seems like it's the same character, I wonder what order they should be watched in to get the full Ator backstory. 

MV5BYjFlZDNmOGEtZTY4Ny00Y2Q0LWI3MWMtYzBhOGFhYzI4MzIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.52ced6a495cf6bef27d8983eff5c5951.jpg

Needs more Yor

50C20875-ED46-46D5-965E-D2C0F214C85A.jpeg

• Haha 2

Dune (2021): I have been waiting for this for about 2 years and it delivered. I was worried the minimalist art direction would make it feel too ordinary, but there were just enough truly bizarre moments which I always look forward to in sci-fi. Fingers crossed we get a chapter 2!!

Withnail and I: Some great dialogue and performances. The homophobia dates it verrry badly. Blew my mind that one of the best characters from Waynes World 2 originated here....

The Matrix Reloaded: Not as good as the first, but definitely not as bad as the 3rd. Very entertaining even though structurally muddled. 

The Duellists: Incredible. Will be revisiting this in the future. Harvey Keitel as a symbol of directionless animalistic hatred.

Edited by gnarlybog
  • Like 3

manchildren in a tizzy after another decent filmmaker dares to criticise the mindless shit-factory that is the MCU.

oPFD2LrfE5ea3DVF2Le5WQdCB8inKZxF-ZulbNqJ

pretty funny coming from Blomkamp who is demonstrating an increasing incapability of making an even passable flick. I had some sympathy for his struggle but it seems undeserved now.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 3

On 9/16/2021 at 7:56 AM, Shimon_Shimon said:

iron warrior is the third film in the legendary ator series. 

ator the fighting eagle is the first (and most important) as it establishes the entire legend of our hero, followed by Ator 2 – the blade master while the last film is known as ator 4: quest for the mighty sword which is, unfortunately, the only film where you don't get miles of miles o'keefe

• Like 1

Dune was a tough one to sit through. Felt like it was 5 hours long. Never did I give a shit about what happened to any of the characters, if you can even call them that, they might as well be cardboard cutouts.

It's weird, cause Villeneuve has made good films before (Sicario being my fave). But this new one + Blade Runner 2 were just boring, a few flashy images with no connecting tissue.