Maarten: Rush Hour? great! BTILC & They Live? meh. 

:catrage:

? 

jk obv, i didn’t love either of those Carpenter movies either, but i almost love They Live, but it’s not *quite* great imo. Big Trouble is good fun, and just too wacky (not bad just…)

my fave Carpenter movies are The Apocalypse Trilogy: The Thing, ITMOM, and Prince of Darkness. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

Big Trouble in Little China (1986) (John Carpenter)
"A rough-and-tumble trucker helps rescue his friend's fiancée from an ancient sorcerer in a supernatural battle beneath Chinatown."
Not my cup of tea. In fact, I thought it was terrible. Sorry, I know a lot of people have fond memories of this movie.

They Live (1988) (John Carpenter)
"They influence our decisions without us knowing it. They numb our senses without us feeling it. They control our lives without us realizing it. They live."
Interesting concept. (that's all I liked about it unfortunately)

John Carpenter for me is:
1. The Thing (1982)
2. Lost Themes (2015) ^^
3. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
4. Halloween (1978)

Escape from New York is up there for me also, but I love They Live and Big Trouble. 

• Like 2

Internet people keep saying trick R treat is fun, so I watched maybe 60% of that before turning it off. Hated it. Then I watched Gaia, which was pretty boring funghi jungle horror. Then I watched Noroi: the curse. It was ok. Then I watched Amityville 3D and got a headache. Then I watched V/H/S 94 and I guess my brain was porridge by that point but I thought it was pretty fun. Then I watched Spiderman far from home and it wasn't a very good time.

I need help

Edited by Silent Member
I rate my day 4.5/10
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Member said:

I love those Carpenter movies, but it could be 99% nostalgia

I watched his remake of Village of the Damned, one of the few JC films I hadn’t seen, it was bad.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

the lighthouse: nonsensical but not in a good way. meh.

couldn't make it past 5 minutes into this. i don't get the fascination with this guy and the guy that made midsommar. i can't even find redeeming qualities in their films while everyone else seems to fawn over them like they're unsung auteurs

MV5BMTE1ODVlOTItNGE3Yy00ZjFlLWJmOGUtMzRm

this was so amazing i feel like it transcends filmmaking and becomes something new. the mindset required to "go" with the story, really challenges the viewer in what they are willing to accept- and somehow it works. or doesn't

• Like 1

Watched the recent Dune by Villeneuve. Quit watching after 30 mins or 45 mins or so. Apart from the imagery it had nothing to offer, imo. All the dialogues were so cringeworthy. It was either shouting or something overly serious. Couldn't get past the feeling the characters took themselves way too seriously. In a 1 dimensional way.

Disclaimer: never read the book. Or, tried once many years ago. But couldn't get through the first 100 pages. So in a way, the movie lived up to what the book did.

I wanted to like it though. On paper I should, I guess? But my god, I just wasn't sold on the story. Nothing for me there.

Edited by Satans Little Helper

Saw Dune, and thought it was very good(though not quite great).  It definitely took itself seriously, for better or worse, but I found the earnest tone sort of refreshing in the current sea of winky-joke Marvel shit in bigger budget movies.  

I've read the book a couple of times, and in comparison it seemed like the movie was rushing through characters and plot points, but it handled most of them pretty well.  The visuals and sound design unsurprisingly the best parts.  The acting was mostly fine(not great, not terrible).  The music was my least favorite aspect (generic in places, and kind of silly in others).   I hope they can get the 2nd part made.  

44 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Saw Dune, and thought it was very good(though not quite great).  It definitely took itself seriously, for better or worse, but I found the earnest tone sort of refreshing in the current sea of winky-joke Marvel shit in bigger budget movies.  

I've read the book a couple of times, and in comparison it seemed like the movie was rushing through characters and plot points, but it handled most of them pretty well.  The visuals and sound design unsurprisingly the best parts.  The acting was mostly fine(not great, not terrible).  The music was my least favorite aspect (generic in places, and kind of silly in others).   I hope they can get the 2nd part made.  

5 hours ago, kichiguy said:

lol

lol

• Like 2