Inside Out - Good fun, usual smart Pixar writing, ideas, visuals. Not their best work by miles despite what some critics are saying, but worth the watch. Not planning on seeing a kid's film in a cinema again any time soon though, ugh. 4/5

Hector and the Search for Happiness - What is it with Simon Pegg appearing in absolutely shite movies he didn't write? Patrionising garbage. 1/5.

Is it as good as Tom Cruise: Ghost Protocol?

it's more like tom cruise and rebecca ferguson are rogue nation with simon pegg's help. i've only watched the first 2 mission impossible movies and hated them a lot. this, however, was surprisingly entertaining

Does it employ the "burned by your own team that's gone rogue" as in part 1 AND part 4?

no. without spoiling anything, this is imf (tom cruise and simon pegg) going after an anti-imf group. there is a scene where alec baldwin says "ethan hunt is unstoppable. he can be anyone at anytime. he is the very nature of destiny" that's basically the crux of this film. if a mission impossible movie isn't hyping tom cruise, then it does not exist. this did an excellent job of doing just that

Just got back from watching The Legend of Barney Thomson. Enjoyed it! QQ/QQQ

I've started going to the cinema on my own recently. Any lone cinema rangers here?

Just got back from watching The Legend of Barney Thomson. Enjoyed it! QQ/QQQ

I've started going to the cinema on my own recently. Any lone cinema rangers here?

http://www.theonion.com/article/fucking-loser-at-movie-all-by-himself-33302

Only joking, I do it occasionally, went to the theatre on my own a couple of months back too. It's cool.

i started going to movies alone when i started working at a theatre and could get into movies for free easily and it was convenient. this has led to me watching far more shitty movies than i otherwise would have

i started going to movies alone when i started working at a theatre and could get into movies for free easily and it was convenient. this has led to me watching far more shitty movies than i otherwise would have

Were you a projectionist? I did that for a couple of years and it's a lonely existence. Of course, presents all kinds of opportunities for naughtiness...

It lacked a certain depth? Well tally ho old chap. ''Like primer''

I don't really get Upstream Colour either. At all. I know theres something there but...

I think what I disliked is how most of the concepts stay undeveloped. Maybe that was the point, but it also makes the film a bit shallow IMO. I liked it way better than Primer though, well worth a watch if only because it's a beautiful bunch of scenes.

Oh, and I thought the blurry out-of-focus softness was way overdone.

But this is just fucking great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QYwhrWoLuE

Were you a projectionist? I did that for a couple of years and it's a lonely existence. Of course, presents all kinds of opportunities for naughtiness...

oh my, that sounds tragic, couldn't you wait until you got home for spank, or were you talking about loading up on buttered popcorn and orange flavoured chocolate or lemon boiled sweets, mmmm so naughty, only thing worth going to the cinema for, ahhhhhhgrrrrrr

oh my, that sounds tragic, couldn't you wait until you got home for spank, or were you talking about loading up on buttered popcorn and orange flavoured chocolate or lemon boiled sweets, mmmm so naughty, only thing worth going to the cinema for, ahhhhhhgrrrrrr

yeah it was hijinks, I always wanted to pull a Tyler Durden, but I was afraid of getting arrested (this was Pigeon Forge, Tennessee). lots of pot smoking, sex and young kids being young.

YEA I FEEL YA MAN

i know i do...

the movie could as well be entirely filmed in empty houses with dog shit on the walls and you wouldn't know the difference because of that awful edgy hipster blur fx...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

John Wick, yo. 8.3/10

Honestly, this is worth an 8.5 or 8.8 out of 10, if it weren't for the sound. It's really quite good, especially considering the fact that revenge stories are fucking hard to write. I've written a revenge film, and it remains incomplete, due to the difficulty of not having a boring killfest with no character development or story other than, "dude gets revenge".

John Wick is indeed a revenge flick, but the reasons for revenge- or at least how the reasons happen- backstory, yadda yadda, things are somewhat novel. The main characters have purpose and initiative. The only reason why I took off some points is because the sound design, foley work-whatever- is sub-par. The action sequences are superb, but the viewer doesn't really get a sense of speed, weight, or pain, due to the fight sounds... I suppose, sounding quite real? Music is also kind of weak. But this film is definitely an example of how important sounds are to a fight scene. Really unfortunate.

Overall, very organic, with "realistic" action and gun shootout scenes. Feels a bit old school Hong Kong action/shooting, with new school polish. That's "polish" as in "sheen"; not Poland influencing Hong Kong aesthetic.

As far as revenge films go, this is somewhat memorable for suuurprisingly- story. Not good enough to froth at the mouth and recommend, but a fun watch for a casual watching day.

Edited by peace 7

The Last Picture Show - I'm a sucker for b+w movies, I adore them 8.5/10

The Falls - Peter Greenaway's 3 hour surreal doco from 1980, quite funny when in the right mood. 7.5/10

Angst by Gerald Kargl. So i finally saw this definitive psychopathic murderer film, a huge influence on the debut of Gaspar Noe (Seul Contre Tous). Some spectacular camera work, true, otherwise i haven't been touched. What separates it is the tone, nobody to my memory and experience did it so realistically clumsy and life-like absurdly. The tone and the innovative style eats it as an attempt at long-form though. Can't say i'm joining the ranks of those who think it will be rediscovered as an iconic film of Psycho magnitude. Shame that the director went out of business as he put all his own money at stakes, sometimes going bizarre doesn't work - Lynch was on the edge too.

Ow yeah I watched like the first hour of The Falls still have to finish that. Good stuff.

Have you seen his later films?

Yes, but none of them have the humour of The Falls.

I like Drowning By Numbers, A Zed & Two Noughts, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and Prospero's Books, but not much else.

I find the acting and dialogue quite bad in many of his work, and that's off putting.