watched the Martian today. thought it was awful. like a modern day deep impact or twister or any of those awful 90s movies. yea, live broadcast of a nasa mission in Times Square that has more people than a New Year's Eve. also, have that confetti ready! terrible soundtrack. "borrowed" quite a bit from the movie Moon as well. 0 sols/10

Moviegoers attending the first screenings of Michael Bays 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi tonight found a true surprise preceding the film in the form of a trailer for director Dan Trachtenbergs upcoming Paramount Pictures thriller. The film, formerly known as first The Cellar and later Valencia, is now being released under the title 10 Cloverfield Lane and stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, John Goodman and John Gallagher, Jr. Whats more, theres a heavy implication that the March 11 release is secretly the long-awaited sequel to Matt Reeves 2008 hit Cloverfield.

The idea came up a long time ago during production, J.J. Abrams said via an official statement from Paramount. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.

Its unclear exactly how directly this blood relative will serve as a Cloverfield sequel and the mystery calls into question all the facts that have been revealed about the project so far. Initial reports on the film from back in 2014 said that it was originally scripted by Josh Campbell and Matt Steucken with Dan Casey having then provided a rewrite. According to those early reports, 10 Cloverfield Lane follows a girl who, after losing consciousness in a car accident, wakes up in an underground cellar with a man who tells her that the outside world has perished in a nuclear attack. Could that nuclear attack be connected to the Cloverfield monster or is the title meant to connect on a more thematic level, attempting to recapture the same mystery that audiences found when the Cloverfield trailer debuted before Michael Bays first Transformers film back in 2007?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPYpJA1NnL8

They had better not spend the entirety of the film in that bunker, I hope the preview is the first ten minutes or something. Then they go out and deal with the wasted earth, the air is breathable, goodman was just paranoid. Who knows though, maybe cloverfield was seeding the planet with spores of its own planet's flora or some qit.

watched the Martian today. thought it was awful. like a modern day deep impact or twister or any of those awful 90s movies. yea, live broadcast of a nasa mission in Times Square that has more people than a New Year's Eve. also, have that confetti ready! terrible soundtrack. "borrowed" quite a bit from the movie Moon as well. 0 sols/10

right? and nobody came out to say that, reviewers were all over it because it's so "agreeable", or because of the "heh" humour,

it's even nominated for fucking best picture

Edited by Guest

My thoughts about the twist in Cloverfield 2...

John Goodman is Cloverfield.

hes big enough

Or

Is this a fat joke, oh my gord, soo triggered

Delete, that was awful. olo's post wasn't his finest hour (sent douche chills down the spine) already cringing from that misfire then you come along with the reply from hell. Double dawg dang. Taking small comfort that you didn't put one of those dumb ''heh''s in it.

The Revenant - 5/10
ok for what it is, but the following list of films pushes similar buttons but a lot more effectively:

Sicario
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

actually, can watmm recommend more flicks "similar" to the three above? similar is stupid, I don't mean similar, but you know what I mean.

would be interested in precursors specially, these three must have some roots in earlier films with such settings, cinematography, topics?

and I don't mean Braveheart Edited by Guest

The Revenant 5/10 ok for what it is, but the following list of films pushes similar buttons but a lot more effectively:

Sicario

No Country for Old Men

There Will Be Blood

actually, can watmm recommend more flicks "similar" to the three above? similar is stupid, I don't mean similar, but you know what I mean.

would be interested in precursors specially, these three must have some roots in earlier films with such settings, cinematography, topics?

You just mentioned three of the best films I've watched over the last 10 years. All extremely intense films and they all do such an excellent job at making realism exciting.

It's hard recommending anything similar, but if you're looking for intensity and realism you should give Victoria a go. It's not similar to any of the above mentioned films but it's really good.

It fails a tiny bit at one thing, but we can talk about that when you've watched it.

agree, these are extraordinary films :)

with similar, I'd put Chinatown there maybe...?

a friend did recommend Victoria but then I missed it while it was at the cinema.. thanks

The Revenant - 5/10

ok for what it is, but the following list of films pushes similar buttons but a lot more effectively:

Sicario

No Country for Old Men

There Will Be Blood

and I don't mean Braveheart

Another vote for The Proposition

Traffic

The Revenant - 5/10

Sicario

No Country for Old Men

There Will Be Blood

and I don't mean Braveheart

Another vote for The Proposition

Traffic

yeah, twas very good alright.

McCabe and Mrs Miller is another one you should check out, definitely a big influence I'd say.

Disagree that Sicario or No Country were better than The Revenant though, thought the latter was far superior (the others are both still great though). There Will Be Blood has a lot more going on though, and manages to equal it in terms of epicness and production quality, so is probably marginally better.

Read this last night and it was good for some lols:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/17/revenant-leonardo-dicaprio-violent-meaningless-glorification-pain

Rewatched Moshen Makhmalbaf's A Moment of Innocence again, wonderful film, made more sense to me this time around, it's quite confusing at times. Need to see more of his stuff actually, just seen a couple of others - Kandahar is great too, and two of his daughter's (The Apple and Blackboards) which were also very good.

legend - i really couldn't make up my mind whether if i was watching something really funny or a lame theater play, oh well... i liked the smiling guy while headshot and the stabbing sequence... last gangster movie out was also really bad, don't recall the name right now... ahh that's right, gangster squad, lol

So Cloverfield Lane has nothing at all to do with Cloverfield, it's just a marketing gimmick:

http://movieweb.com/10-cloverfield-lane-colverfield-2-anthology-movie-series/

Cloverfield itself was just a marketing gimmick though. JJ is always 3 steps ahead.

Edited by doublename