Miracle-Mile-New-Square.jpg

holy shit, this was great. a bit messy but original and thrilling, and much more confrontational and darkly funny than I thought it would be. I can only imagine how many people went to see this on a date night thinking it was a rom-com before the sudden switch of mood 20 mins in.

One of my favorites

macbeth - i don't know why they keep trying to do something with that ancient shakespeare shit. it's irrelevant, incomprehensible and unworkable in movies. i can barely identify with movies from before 1970s on some deeper level, as they often feel like they came from another world, let alone this shakespear shit from 3000 years ago.

Omg I watched the modern ed harris version of Cymbeline and it was ridiculous. Incomprehensible & irrelevant are the exact words I would use to describe it.

the intern - surprised at how much i ended up liking it. 20 minutes in i thought it was dreck and turned it off. put it back on to put me to sleep one night and ended up seeing why deniro did it, and the point of the movie, and liked it, though im sure many wouldnt like it that much.

the intern - surprised at how much i ended up liking it. 20 minutes in i thought it was dreck and turned it off. put it back on to put me to sleep one night and ended up seeing why deniro did it, and the point of the movie, and liked it, though im sure many wouldnt like it that much.

I enjoyed that one too. Yeah, it ends up being a much more thought provoking movie than the first act leads you to believe.

i know, i just have a weak spot for biblical mythology in horror movies (as opposed to just generic demon #387648) so i thought it might have atleast some interesting b-movie stuff in it. i should've known better.

macbeth - i don't know why they keep trying to do something with that ancient shakespeare shit. it's irrelevant, incomprehensible and unworkable in movies. i can barely identify with movies from before 1970s on some deeper level, as they often feel like they came from another world, let alone this shakespear shit from 3000 years ago.

couldn't take it more than 30 minutes...

I liked it

I liked it a lot.

I'm of two minds about the comments re Shakespearean dialogue. on the one hand it is definitely suited better to actual theatre rather than film, but on the other hand there has of course been an evolution of language since those times that has made modern audiences increasingly incapable of understanding complex/ye olde schoole language (some people would call this illiteracy).

I'm kind of dumb yet Macbeth for example is easily absorbed.

I dunno, if you like Game of Thrones or whatever,surely it's because being immersed in fantasy or olden times stuff is enjoyable as escapism.. so having proper genuine olde chit chat can surely only enhance that

The Bothersome Man (2006) - sterile, surreal dark comedy major influenced by roy anderson, one of my favorites from this whole batch...

I fucking love this film

you're familiar with roy anderson's movies? Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Fateful Findings is arguably better than The Room at points. Really funny awkward dialogue with a story that basically goes nowhere. Neil Breen is unintentionally creating some of the best cinema of our time. 10 broken laptops/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyOjwZo6QhU

holy shit, this was great. a bit messy but original and thrilling, and much more confrontational and darkly funny than I thought it would be. I can only imagine how many people went to see this on a date night thinking it was a rom-com before the sudden switch of mood 20 mins in.

ha! yes i love that film. btw: johnie's coffee shop where harry answers the phone still exists, although now it's practically falling apart. every time i pass there, i always remember this film.

i also like how he runs into a gym at 3/4am looking for a pilot, and the biggest beef cake is like "i'm a pilot". that would never work in any other film, but given the somewhat hyper-real circumstance of this film, it felt just right

the thin red line 2/10, 1 point for the beautifull shots of nature filled with hollywood horseshit and 1 point for john travolta moustache

Edited by Ivan Ooze

ha! yes i love that film. btw: johnie's coffee shop where harry answers the phone still exists, although now it's practically falling apart. every time i pass there, i always remember this film.

that's sad, it ought to be preserved for the next 2000 years as an historical marker of 80s nuclear hysteria.

i also like how he runs into a gym at 3/4am looking for a pilot, and the biggest beef cake is like "i'm a pilot". that would never work in any other film, but given the somewhat hyper-real circumstance of this film, it felt just right

I lol'd when I realised it was the creepy alien bounty hunter from the X-Files, who I always referred to as "meatface".

xfiles-talithacumi23.jpg

I was just pleasantly surprised that this movie had actual teeth and wasn't a sanitised glossy 80s affair, especially considering the subject matter. plus Kurt Fuller was hilarious and his line "holy cocksucking mother of christ, do you see what I see?!" just killed me.