Sinister - WTF BoC?!/10

and ample obscure black metal/noise rock including Boris and many other Pitchfork faves, odd movie for having such an awesome soundtrack but being so blatantly terrible at the same time

hey Overlook, have you seen Compliance? I don't know if you'll love it or hate it but it reminded me kind of (conceptually) of the short film you did about the sword dude. It's pretty much a historical document of the 'prank' caller who was able to manipulate people at a McDonalds into raping someone by pretending to be a cop. The story in the movie seems unbelievable but it's almost exactly the way it actually happened, they just couldn't do a McDonalds of course .

I'd give a solid 8/10 , sort of reminded me of the movie Bubble but a little more conventional. I'd call it an unintentional noirish white trash thriller movie but much more naturalistic and straight forward than most movies in this vein (killer joe, etc)

Edited by Awepittance

Piano no Mori (The Piano Forest): Good anime movie. Great story and soundtrack. Though, really not that "powerful" like others I've seen. Also, what I learnt is that there will be always people better than you and you must admit you suck. 8/10

Guest Blue Peter Cheat
hey Overlook, have you seen Compliance? I don't know if you'll love it or hate it but it reminded me kind of (conceptually) of the short film you did about the sword dude. It's pretty much a historical document of the 'prank' caller who was able to manipulate people at a McDonalds into raping someone by pretending to be a cop. The story in the movie seems unbelievable but it's almost exactly the way it actually happened, they just couldn't do a McDonalds of course .

It's the Milgram experiment performed outside the lab. Pretty fucked up shit. To a much lesser extent it reminds of the David Peace book 'Occupied City', based on real events. A guy walks into a bank pretending to be a doctor and gets all the employees to drink poison, claiming it's to protect them from a potential dyssentry (I think) outbreak. He then robs the bank. Vastly different circumstances which garner the bank workers a hell of a lot more sympathy than the McDonalds lot but still the same idea: people are only dying to be unquestionably obedient to a perceived authority figure.

Guest Ron Manager

The Road - 6.5/10 - just read the book and it was pretty much exactly what I expected.

The Hobbit - 3/10 - zzzzzz

Great Expectations (new one) - 3.5/10 - also zzzzzzz. Not even as good as the average BBC adaptation from a year ago.

Bridesmaids - 9/10 - I had no idea what it was before watching (or that it was an Apatow film), I thought it looked terrible but my gf persuaded me to watch it. Fucking hilarious. Well worth it.

Guest Mirezzi

I thought The Road did very little justice to the book. Too soporific and melodramatic. The book was spartan and restrained. Hillcoat went for the throat at every turn and Viggo often seemed like Aragorn crying over Boromir.

Awepittance - I haven't seen Compliance but I'm definitely intrigued.

Aribtrage - Probably my favorite American release of 2012. I will write about it later, but I can't recommend it enough.

just FYI since the Academy awards are being decided on right now (high quality ) screener copies of almost every major movie that hasn't been to DVD yet have leaked on the net including Django and the Hobbit. I'd imagine Lincoln and the Master are too although i haven't checked

Aribtrage - Probably my favorite American release of 2012. I will write about it later, but I can't recommend it enough.

i dont usually enjoy your recommendations but this was an amazing film. 9/10

also, buying a HD projector was my best purchase all year, im really enjoying films so much more again now that they are 9 feet wide and 6 feet high, i would recommend it to all you guys

just FYI since the Academy awards are being decided on right now (high quality ) screener copies of almost every major movie that hasn't been to DVD yet have leaked on the net including Django and the Hobbit. I'd imagine Lincoln and the Master are too although i haven't checked

ha...Yeah, I've seen really good copies of Django and the Hobbit recently as well as Jack Reacher, Seven Psychopaths, and Total Recall.

Guest Mirezzi

i dont usually enjoy your recommendations but this was an amazing film. 9/10

lol, fair enough. Just out of curiosity, which recommendations of mine haven't you enjoyed?

Tropic Thunder?

Bourne Ultimatum?

Big Juicy Black Cock -n- Tiny White Pussy Vol. 6?

Lincoln - Daniel Day-Lewis is beyond perfect in the role. But I would have enjoyed this alot more if it didn't remind me of that movie Mel Gibson screened in the old simpsons episode.

can anyone recommend an alternative reality film, kinda like Inception (but better) or Looper? pretty much present day, except some things are different. hard to explain but yeah

can anyone recommend an alternative reality film, kinda like Inception (but better) or Looper? pretty much present day, except some things are different. hard to explain but yeah

key_art_world_on_a_wire.jpg

primer_movie_poster.jpgmind_game14.jpg

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

The Girl

The other Hitchcock film that came out recently. This is the Toby Jones/sienna miller TV one. It was well made and toby jones looks a bit like hitchcock and sounds like a cross between toby jones and hitchock, but looks tiny. Not sure on the truth behind this story but it's an interesting tale.

existenz_ver2_xlg.jpg

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON