can anyone recommend an alternative reality film, kinda like Inception (but better) or Looper? pretty much present day, except some things are different. hard to explain but yeah

Source Code

thanks a lot guys, downloading a few of em now :beer:

inland empire, being john malkovich, the trip, altered states, nothing, donnie darko...

my suggestions are not action flicks but i do love alternative realities...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Triangle

Being John Malkovich

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

videodrome

And

Ehm.....

Donnie darko.

lol yeah so now is what? hipsters?

can anyone recommend an alternative reality film, kinda like Inception (but better) or Looper? pretty much present day, except some things are different. hard to explain but yeah

cloud atlas :facepalm:

Guest Mirezzi

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Nice try I guess...but no. It was more or less a plotless music video featuring photogenic, manufactured hardship with an Arcade Fire inspired soundtrack. It reminded me of Where the Wild Things Are, but not nearly as annoying. As much as they wanted to make an "essential" Katrina film, they instead made something more exploitation than exploration. This was Bunuel's Land Without Bread without the humor or ironic purpose. Therefore, I give it 0 out of 0 stars. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Nice try I guess...but no. It was more or less a plotless music video featuring photogenic, manufactured hardship with an Arcade Fire inspired soundtrack. It reminded me of Where the Wild Things Are, but not nearly as annoying. As much as they wanted to make an "essential" Katrina film, they instead made something more exploitation than exploration. This was Bunuel's Land Without Bread without the humor or ironic purpose. Therefore, I give it 0 out of 0 stars. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Someone on internet disagrees with you. Bad opinion! Disagree!

Seriously loved this movie though. Loved the acting, don't remember there being too much music. I thought it was a well-told, if sometimes heavy-handed, story with some really beautiful points. The heavy-handedness worked for me because I felt it was essentially a child's film. Don't understand why you felt it was exploitative. I thought it was full of life in a way few films ever are.

Guest Mirezzi

That's cool.

I thought it was more Colors of Benetton or Stuff White People Like than a child's film...like a coffee table book one buys at Starbucks. "This will make such a great gift for (just about anybody)!"

That's cool.

I thought it was more Colors of Benetton or Stuff White People Like than a child's film...like a coffee table book one buys at Starbucks. "This will make such a great gift for (just about anybody)!"

I mean, if badass 6 year old tomboys turn out to be the next movie cliche, I'm not going to fight it. I'm glad we agreed on how shit Heat was though.

I saw 'Promised Land' the other night, it was a good film, but it's related to the industry I work in so it hit home.

Directed by Gus Van Sant, written by Dave Eggers

Just watched Arbitrage, and it was indeed excellent. Quality on every level. How did they make his character sympathetic? I have no idea but I was rooting for him. Amazing.

edit: I also watched Haywire. If you want a movie where very little happens and then a beautiful woman kicks someone in the balls, this is the one to go for. Personally I had a blast.

Edited by A/D

Arbitrage - 9/10

Only thing I disliked was the music in some parts... too repetitive / almost sounded like it belonged in some TV spy thriller or something corny. Some other excellent uses of music though, and the writing was brilliant. Def top 5 of 2012.

Prometheus - totally loved it. got so delved into it that time flew by and it felt really short :( can't wait for prometheus 2 then. and Noomi Rapace's accent is sexy. 9/10

The Machinist - mental film, Christian Bale did it perfectly. what a skinny bastard too. 8/10

The Box - interesting concept. shit cast. the story of the box can't just be the whole film, cos then it'd last 20 mins, so they had to fill all the rest in... and the whole foot thing, guy working for NASA and stuff...? i dunno, just bored the hell out of me. 6.4/10

Django Unchained - actually really liked this! was pretty impressed by it. good cast, good acting, and totally wicked shootouts and gore. the whole film, despite being brutal, had a feel-good personality about it. goood stuff. 8.5/10

War Games - nothing to be said about this. a classic

Just saw Life of Pi.

I really liked it, but right at the end when he's talking to the japanese guys, some idiot parents let their kid crawl on the floor in the movie theater and make animal noises for the last 5 minutes of the film.

I was super fucking pissed. The parents thought it was soo cute that their kid was behaving like a fucking idiot. It made me want to fight them. Especially considering that my wife and I each spent about $20 to see it in 3D... and at a 10pm show! :angry:

Anyway, it kinda killed the movie for me.

Up until then, I was REALLY enjoying the movie... except for the Canadian author character (I think they shouldn't have had as many close-ups and emotional reactions from his character... It wasn't his story and the actor wasn't really that good).

EVERYTHING else was marvelous.

After putting it all in perspective... 9/10

Edited by jefferoo