Django Unchained - Enjoyed it, thought it ended, it didn't, Tarantino pops up and does a fucking shite accent, the film carries on, unspeakable boredom. Felt longer than all of the Lord of the Rings.

Guest Mirezzi

I think if you all watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and Looper back to back like I did, you'd love Looper, too.

Then again, my enjoyment of Looper probably had a lot to do with low expectations and a crush for Emily Blunt. I'M WEAK!

Finally caught up with Looper. Can somebody please explain

the scene were JGL's body slams into the car and we cut to him succesfully killing his future self. Wat? Am I stupid for not understanding what that was all about?

Edit: It was allright, another 6.5/10.

Edited by Gocab

Guest Mirezzi
Finally caught up with Looper. Can somebody please explain

the scene were JGL's body slams into the car and we cut to him succesfully killing his future self. Wat? Am I stupid for not understanding what that was all about?

Edit: It was allright, another 6.5/10.

They were showing you the life he WOULD have had if he was able to successfully close his loop. It was a clumsy edit, but I'm pretty sure that was the point of that scene. I think Johnson was struggling, however admirably, to keep his story intact without having some stupid character like Juno in Inception explain everything to audiences.

but it's the Bruce Willis from that timeline that meets the asian chick and escapes his execution

Nevermind. Time travel is hard.

Edited by Gocab

No no no, it's the film shifting perspective to Old Joe. The first bit he gets punched out, because it was following young Joe's timeline. Then when it goes back, it's the Joe that ends up coming back in time and punching out his younger self. There is no theoretical timeline, both things happened.

Did not expect Overlook to like Looper! Glad to hear!

Guest Mirezzi

What I'll say about Looper, forgive the platitude, is that it's only enjoyable if you can suspend your disbelief.

I *never* watch Time Travel movies and bother with overthinking the physics/logistics/paradoxical schematics, because let's get something clear: Who gives a shit?

Does it make people smart to poke holes in fucking time travel? Knock yourself out, I guess.

Looper delivered on two key matters and yes, I critiqued it with kid gloves perhaps because of generic expectations. Within its genre, it was fantastic. For a mere $30M, Rian Johnson created a well-photographed universe (exceptionally well if you ask me - that final shot of Blunt was delicious!) and even managed a few decent effects shots.

In the final 2 minutes of the film, he also managed to kill the protagonist / leading man, at once ending the very thin romance AND pissing off people who hate sad endings. Kudos to him for that. I thought the ending was totally perfect. It was well acted, well choreographed, and delivered the action while being thoughtful at the same time. I loved the little kid and MY GOD, BLUNT GIVES BONERS.

Some people may not realize it, but $30M is jackfuckingshit. That's how much Hollywood pays for the privilege of casting Kristen Stewart these days.

Edited by The Overlook

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Re Looper, not sure if it should be spoiler protected but I'll err on the side of caution.

Why do they get the Looper's to kill themselves? Why give them the opportunity not to? I enjoyed the film, although I thought it kind of petered out, but this bit is hugely relevant to the plot and frankly makes no sense.

Killing Them Softly - 8.5/10 - The shots, sound design, acting and minimal story line paralleled with the McCain/Obama election, with US politics in general makes for one hell of an amazing film. With this, Tree of life, and the Assassination of Jesse James, I am shocked at how much I enjoy Brad Pitt as an actor. America isn't about equality and freedom, it is about money. One of the best films of the year and got no award love? Fuckin shit assers.

Re Looper, not sure if it should be spoiler protected but I'll err on the side of caution.

Why do they get the Looper's to kill themselves? Why give them the opportunity not to? I enjoyed the film, although I thought it kind of petered out, but this bit is hugely relevant to the plot and frankly makes no sense.

The simple answer is that it doesn't matter. That's where the suspension of disbelief thing comes in.

The less simple answer is that because time travel can be so problematic they have to involve as few different elements as possible, also so they get that golden payday and know they have 30 years left.

MtZjI.jpg

i had a hard time enjoying this documentary because this was a case i never "got". basically, a woman in brutally raped and beaten in central park manhattan and a group of kids (who were out there terrorizing cyclists and joggers) are arrested on suspicion that they did it. supposedly, because of "how" the cops interrogated them, even they are convinced they did it. so they're put in prison. but years later, they say they never did it, and the real culprit (who's behind bars) comes clean.

so this documentary, is that the cops are racist, because they asked a bunch of kids (who are black) questions that made them confess to a crime they never did. does that make sense?

seven psychopaths - fucking great. starts really bumpy and cheesy but everything falls into place in a weird movie-within-a-movie way. it's kinda like pulp fiction in stardust memories reality. mcdonagh is shaping up great.

WEST OF MEMPHIS

west_of_memphis_poster.jpg

This is a re-investigation into the same case as the Paradise Lost films. I haven't seen Paradise Lost 3 but I think this film is a more thorough, classy, personal, better-told story. It also makes a good case that Paradise Lost 2 was not very good journalism. I am very biased because I worked on it. However I think the most amazing part is the editing. It's a long film that never drags and makes a very complicated set of facts into a linear story.

Another event in which forced confession by the police changed the lives of many. .

Anyone seen or going to see Gangster Squad? Wondering whether it's worth cinema prices?

gangster_squad-wide.jpg

And why has Pierce Brosnan changed his name?

LOL

Up - 7/10

Tyrannosaur - 9/10

Les Miserablés - 6/10

Guest Mirezzi
WEST OF MEMPHIS

This is a re-investigation into the same case as the Paradise Lost films. I haven't seen Paradise Lost 3 but I think this film is a more thorough, classy, personal, better-told story. It also makes a good case that Paradise Lost 2 was not very good journalism. I am very biased because I worked on it. However I think the most amazing part is the editing. It's a long film that never drags and makes a very complicated set of facts into a linear story.

Another event in which forced confession by the police changed the lives of many. .

Looking forward to this one. I was obsessed with this story once upon a time.

Seven psychopaths

6/10

No where near as well written as in Bruges and it tried to be kinda funny but failed.

Walken played a great part in it though.

Django unchained

6/10

WEST OF MEMPHIS

how much was PEter JAckson involved in this one? need to watch it as I'm seen the previous 3 films. First one is still the best though, it almost seems like it was shot on 16mm film which gives it a very eery feel

Quite heavily, though from afar. He & his wife funded a new investigation into the DNA present at the crime scene, as well as contributed to legal fees, and they - especially Fran, his wife - collaborated with the director in the field, usually every day. Mr. Jackson's horrible looking interview also serves as narration/story for some bits, which probably helped the editors a good deal, but sort of detracted from the immediacy of the film to me.

did you ever meet Fran? She is one of hollywood's biggest mysterious figures. Extremely rich academy award winner who chooses to opt out of pretty much any and all public appearances. I was surprised and delighted to find out that her and Peter aren't even married! they seem like a pretty cool couple, and i also have some sort of inkling that Phillipa hops in the sack with them now and again ;)

Very briefly met Fran and Peter after the film was finished. They were lovely. I think we talked, but I was quite drunk. I had no idea they weren't married. Fran's emails to Lori (Damien Echols' wife) are featured heavily in the film. The investigation really became her life.