i dunno, i think there is something enchanting about Trance, i rather liked it after second viewing, Boyle likes to mess with the timeframe in the editing and he also does it in T2, taking a different approach to what would be a straightforward scene, usually incorparating music and a voiceover. But you can see the Nic Roeg geek in him the way he likes to jump around, flash back, but not dwell..trying to keep it interesting, sometimes to its detriment. Infact he did it in Steve Jobs aswell but with more restraint.

Just watched A Separation, that was even better than I expected.

Haven't seen such compelling characters in a film in a while.

DNDqQeL.jpg

holy shit- i loved this film (maybe even more than the first). this is much more grounded and explores the members of the continental a little more. towards the end though, things get a little unrealistic but i think at this point, the filmmakers are counting on the fact that they've established this is strictly an "over-the-top" action film so they throw all their chips in that pot and kinda hope you overlook any of the other missteps; a risky misstep for some but it didn't affect my suspension of disbelief

eight and a half guys in black suits getting point blank range gunshots into their brain out of ten

DNDqQeL.jpg

holy shit- i loved this film (maybe even more than the first). this is much more grounded and explores the members of the continental a little more. towards the end though, things get a little unrealistic but i think at this point, the filmmakers are counting on the fact that they've established this is strictly an "over-the-top" action film so they throw all their chips in that pot and kinda hope you overlook any of the other missteps; a risky misstep for some but it didn't affect my suspension of disbelief

eight and a half guys in black suits getting point blank range gunshots into their brain out of ten

Agreed!

Looking forward to it, do they leave it open for a Chapter 3?

YES. imo, it actually opens the franchise in a more definite way as opposed to the first john wick which could've been a standalone film

Edited by Nebraska

also don't get excited, that's rob van dam, not van damme.

correction, now i´m even MORE excited

Lego Batman movie

pretty disappointing... not entirely sure why my hopes were so high - it didnt have the witty self-referential dimension breaking quality the first had, thought it would do something similar, but alas no - way too many not-so-funny jokes crammed into every second, stimulation overload, aimed at kids, felt a little unconsidered and rushed for the sake of releasing a Lego themed movie

I didn't buy the emotional conceit of moonlight. This thugged out guy never fucks again after one gay encounter? Seemed very victorian and repressed, almost like the movie was made for straight audiences who might be uncomfortable with actual gay sex...

i remember originally watching this film back when i was a worm but had to re-watch it.

a guy goes missing. he was last seen dating a girl who shares an apartment with two other hot dames (the 3 pieces of hotness on the cover).

the detective that's investigating the case falls for one of them. but then the other one is teasing him. oh, and the other one too. you get the picture.

it doesn't end well but at least it has that haunting soundtrack by claudio simonetti

MV5BMTc4MDcwNDE2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE5

An Italian movie (very funny) called: Perfetti sconosciuti (Perfect Strangers)

086-600x600.jpg

Seven long-time friends get together for a dinner. When they decide to share with each other the content of every text message, email and phone call they receive, many secrets start to unveil and the equilibrium trembles.

Edited by Shockerbrown

i remember originally watching this film back when i was a worm but had to re-watch it.

a guy goes missing. he was last seen dating a girl who shares an apartment with two other hot dames (the 3 pieces of hotness on the cover).

the detective that's investigating the case falls for one of them. but then the other one is teasing him. oh, and the other one too. you get the picture.

it doesn't end well but at least it has that haunting soundtrack by claudio simonetti

MV5BMTc4MDcwNDE2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE5

Yeah I saw this in the fancy Shameless tin in Fopp the other week. It shall be mine.

Still Walking (2008)

i highly recommend people watch some of Hirokazu Kore-eda's films. i don't think i've seen him mentioned round these parts and he is easily one of my favourite directors.

i tried watching his most recent "our little sister", but gave up after about one hour. it's just way too static, light and FWP that i couldn't really get with it at all. kinda like a cross of mike leigh and cocteau twins' victorialand, but not in a good way to me. there's might be something in it but i didn't know how to approach it i guess.

Bill Burr: Walk Your Way Out - I love Bill Burr, but I don't think his last 2 stand up specials have been as good as his previous 3. It's weird hearing him spontaneously grab at subjects as though he's only just latching on to them in the moment, throwing them out there as a curveball on the audience....when you've previously heard him do the same thing on chat shows with more effect, with the host laughing his head off in bewilderment. This long form format doesn't work so well for those immediate insane ideas - like sink cruise ships - and I think he drags on longer than he used to with every idea, taking its sting away without upping the absurdity. I think it's easy to get lost in his rambling. 6/10

I, Daniel Blake - finally seen it.

'The Decision Maker' will contact you. It was at that point i kind of wished there could be an alternative take on the disability assessment system that goes full darkly satirical absurdist, but i like this dry straight approach too. The uk government are paying French and American companies such as Atos and Maximus up to £500m to assess ill people using a points system that seems to only take into account arm movement as meaning you're fit to work. Beyond the humiliation, it's caused deaths and suicides. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men aged under 45 in the UK. 4,624 suicides in 2015, that's just men btw, A suicide every two hours ! That's an epidemic. 12 a day.

The cost of benefit fraud is £1.2 billion a year. 'Fraud' being a loose term. Everyone in the uk is relentlessly told the story of the poor unemployed 'skiver' who is exploiting the system with their 12 kids living in a 3 bedroom house on some estate, living the high life of cigarettes, obesity and bingo. But we're not told of the foreign corporations basically handed taxpayers money to do a pointless job inefficiently. It's an actual scandal, a disgrace. And no one in the uk gives a shit. So foreign (we' have a thing about foreign over here lately, 'take back control' etc...the campaign tagline thought up by an American...) corporations handed millions to make a profit of British people who've spent 30 years paying into a system that contributes to it affecting their health to the point where disease or illness suddenly strikes and renders them incapable, and instead of understanding this and basically giving them back their own money they paid into the system, they're treated like shit, dehumanized, put through a process that is actually openly unfair that 60% of appeals are a success. I mean...60% of appeals are a success. The system is wrong, everyone knows it's unfair, but they grind you down and force you to give up through the lengthy process where you're struggling to get by and give up the fight to prove they're wrong. Europe (our enemies at the moment) have repeatedly expressed how inhumane it is and challenged it. No..that's wrong, they challenged the bedroom tax didn't they. Not enough houses ! A person lives in a house but doesn't use that extra bedroom, let's make him move away from his family and support structure ! A disabled person needs the extra room for all the equipment that keeps them alive but that is inconsequential detail. All the social housing was sold off, which has nothing do to with the poor sap who simply finds himself being given an extra tax, as though it's quite easy to just leave. It's the bizarrest idea I've ever heard and this is now a rant yay.

It's insane. And I know it's worse in America.

It feels like one of the worst things about our society is its tendency to normalize and justify actually extraordinary things. In the harsh reality of life and the way the media report on the news, insane things can occur that are given legitimacy. Like...from a uk perspective, the BBC covered Trump's inauguration and didn't or couldn't call it out for what it was, him being an actual narcissistic idiotic child. We have a prime ministers questions where questions are asked and literally the answer every single time is 'yeah but you messed it up before us, we're just trying to FIX your mess! And don't you dare question our commitment to ..such and such, we've put more money into it than you did!' (misrepresent the truth). We lack the ability to zoom out and see the craziness for what it is. Only as we slowly progress (eventually) to a more tolerant progressive society can we look back maybe and think; that was crazy. Or film or media can heighten it and reveal its core truth. A handful of people having the same amount of wealth as the poorest half is insane now - i like the imagery it conjures, but in a few hundred years time they're going to analyse this post millennium period to a great degree, fascinated by us all exhausting all our worries over Trump, they'll be dumbfounded and confused; why on Earth did they just put with them this? How archaic and utterly broken could their supposed democratic and political system be? How could there be so little agency from the masses? They'll come a point where people won't be able to understand, and it's shit having to live through tortuous prolonged transitional period where everyone knows everything is backwards but there's seemingly no way to direct all the energy, time, effort, anger, thought into changing what matters.

well that was a waste of time to write

Yeah, so, Ken Loach 50 years ago did a film that was about a couple becoming homeless and apparently it was shocking. Now people step over the homeless in the streets, or if you're a posh conservative you burn a £20 note in front of them. I Daniel Blake comes out and society is so paralyzed by its own deep denial and futility to have any actual impact on what is happening. right stopping there, burn westminster to the ground, start again. 8/10

it could be also that bill burr is a decidedly B- comedian who has been vaulted to recognition by annoying white men on the internet discovering comedy

Edit: not you, just speaking about his fans generally

Edited by dr lopez

It's insane. And I know it's worse in America.

Yeah, poor poor UK and America, so problematic, so broken by posh conservatives, can't even call Trump for what he is in the media. First world problems is that way.

(OK, the rant begins with a genuine theme, but the rhetoric drift is destroying any narrative of suffering)

Arrival

Pretty decent, beautifully filmed, a bit too slow at times, flirted with some cool ideas.

it could be also that bill burr is a decidedly B- comedian who has been vaulted to recognition by annoying white men on the internet discovering comedy

Edit: not you, just speaking about his fans generally

Bill Burr is right up there with the greats on a good day, he's just a bit of a one trick pony.. kind of like Stanhope

what? there was an American TV remake of Animal Kingdom? that sounds like an abomination on top of an abomination. the original film is the only thing worth watching.