Watched the first 20 minutes of cloud atlas, struggling to take any of the pompous nonsense seriously. Started thinking of all the other nice films I have laying about that I haven't seen yet. Promptly turned it off. yeah this isn't going to get any better/10.

A Better Tomorrow - The first half is a cavalcade of gay innuendo, bloody action and confusing plot scenes (I seriously had to look up the wiki page to figure out who was who). The second half is a great story about betrayal and redemption. Great action scenes for its age, but that shouldn't be surprising considering the director. His most obvious trait is born here, which isn't the dove thing, but that everyone has a 9mm Baretta with infinite ammo.

A Better Tomorrow - The first half is a cavalcade of gay innuendo, bloody action and confusing plot scenes (I seriously had to look up the wiki page to figure out who was who). The second half is a great story about betrayal and redemption. Great action scenes for its age, but that shouldn't be surprising considering the director. His most obvious trait is born here, which isn't the dove thing, but that everyone has a 9mm Baretta with infinite ammo.

It's a while since I've watched this, but, gay innuendo? I thought that was just meant to be a portrayal of friendship. Good film though. John Woo made some good action films back then. How naive it was to think this could be translated to Hollywood whilst keeping its style and integrity intact. lol.

Edited by AJW

wake in fright (outback) - amazing, gives deliverance a run for its money in the 70's backwoods survival horror genre. actually, it's probably better than deliverance.

man that's quite a claim! deliverance is flawless so i'm going to have to watch this! never heard of it... same year as walkabout too.

edit - bollocks lovefilm doesn't have it. where can i get it?

Edited by keltoi

hmmm, might have overstated that claim. it's definitely on par with deliverance, but it's a different film. very similar themes, although deliverance has a man against nature/outdoor survival aspect to it that wake in fright doesn't really contain. wake in fright might be more similar to straw dogs, at least on a surface level. see it though, very underrated.

i watched the trailer and see what you're getting at. that kind of uneasy tension and underlying threat you get when insular backwater meets unwelcome stranger. straw dogs, the wicker man, deliverance, psycho, texas chainsaw, easy rider, badlands, days of heaven... all give off a similar vibe.

really want to watch it now.

Edited by keltoi

Melancholia

:facepalm: /10

Some nice visuals/leitmotifs at the beginning look pretty juicy and make you think that this movie will be at least somewhat eventful or thought provoking. Kirsten Dunst is so depressed, or so we are told. Ruins her own billion dollar wedding at an expensive castle, refuses to have sex with her husband, bangs some college kid on the lawn instead. Throws hissy fits. Nipples for a second. Oh there's a planet! Whew it didn't hit us, I was worried. Uh oh, the planet is getting bigger inside that wire thing we made when you look through it, that means it's getting closer. Oh shit son. Keifer Sutherland, the dick, kills self. One last hissy fit. Kirsten Dunst is sort of glad to die, her sister was not depressed, so she is losing her shit. They hold hands inside a lil teepee and the planet hits Earth. They fucking die.

-Lars Von Trier

Melancholia

:facepalm: /10

Some nice visuals/leitmotifs at the beginning look pretty juicy and make you think that this movie will be at least somewhat eventful or thought provoking. Kirsten Dunst is so depressed, or so we are told. Ruins her own billion dollar wedding at an expensive castle, refuses to have sex with her husband, bangs some college kid on the lawn instead. Throws hissy fits. Nipples for a second. Oh there's a planet! Whew it didn't hit us, I was worried. Uh oh, the planet is getting bigger inside that wire thing we made when you look through it, that means it's getting closer. Oh shit son. Keifer Sutherland, the dick, kills self. One last hissy fit. Kirsten Dunst is sort of glad to die, her sister was not depressed, so she is losing her shit. They hold hands inside a lil teepee and the planet hits Earth. They fucking die.

-Lars Von Trier

Lol. If I hadn't already seen it, your mini review there would have made me really want to see it.

I have fond memories of it, didn't have great expectations either though. Definetely preferred its sedated dreamy feel to that of Antichrist; which would have been far superior had Von Trier not insisted on having to put those crude scenes in (you know which ones) Dogville was classic; great storytelling, acting etc. Strange man, strange films. But always quite interesting.

Edited by AJW

Guest Blue Peter Cheat
The Plague Dogs: One of the most realistic films I've ever seen. Too sad and heartbreaking, but it's what actually happens. In real life, true "happy endings" are scarce. The message of the movie is obvious and well executed. 9.8/10

My wife watched this as a kid and doesn't want to see it ever again. The mere mention of it makes her upset. Apparently it's very good, but apparently it's also absolutely heart-breaking. I think I feel the same with Up.

Guest Mirezzi
The Thin Red Line - 9.5/10 Might be the best war film (other than Apocalypse Now), again Malick captures astounding images that really give you a sense of what it would have been like in Vietnam.

um...lol?

Come on, lumpy. You live over there. They really do all look the same.

lol.

The Plague Dogs: One of the most realistic films I've ever seen. Too sad and heartbreaking, but it's what actually happens. In real life, true "happy endings" are scarce. The message of the movie is obvious and well executed. 9.8/10

My wife watched this as a kid and doesn't want to see it ever again. The mere mention of it makes her upset. Apparently it's very good, but apparently it's also absolutely heart-breaking. I think I feel the same with Up.

I agree. It's really a sad movie (The Plague Dogs), and I really wouldn't recommend it to "Dog/Animal-lovers" (my mom, for example). And Up, yeah it is a fantastic film but at least it has funny moments.

The Thin Red Line - 9.5/10 Might be the best war film (other than Apocalypse Now), again Malick captures astounding images that really give you a sense of what it would have been like in Vietnam.

um...lol?

lol sorry was 3 am and was thinking about Apocalypse/Full Metal Jacket as well

the master - saw this a few months ago in 70mm. similar to there will be blood in that one viewing isn't enough. left me feeling a bit cold. exhausting to watch. i'm not sure if it's nuanced enough to reward repeat viewings, but i look forward to the blu ray. i'd be very interested to know what lumpenprol thinks of this if and when he sees it.

The Loneliest Planet - 5/10

I enjoyed the photography immensely. But I'm split because I don't know if I was supposed to enjoy the couple, in which case the movie failed, or find them really annoying, in which case, success!

Starchaser and the legend of orrin - sure/10

It's star wars with the names changed . But shit it was still fun to watch.

Persona (ingmar bergman) - rating not necessary

This movie was mind-altering. I felt inspired and disturbed after watching it.

Edited by Salvatorin

the master - saw this a few months ago in 70mm. similar to there will be blood in that one viewing isn't enough. left me feeling a bit cold. exhausting to watch. i'm not sure if it's nuanced enough to reward repeat viewings, but i look forward to the blu ray. i'd be very interested to know what lumpenprol thinks of this if and when he sees it.

thanks, yeah haven't seen it yet. I want to, I just haven't seen a rip in China yet.

Guest Mirezzi

I have still not re-visited There Will Be Blood after all these years. I've seen No Country For Old Men twice and the 2nd time was every bit as good as the first.

Guest Mirezzi

Dredd - Didn't see this one coming. It's dumb. It's silly. It's really violent. It's low budget. It has (mostly) bad special effects. And it doesn't make much sense. In other words, it's exactly the sort of movie it should be.

I enjoyed every minute of it in the same way I enjoyed Robocop as a kid, and to a lesser extent, Equilibrium. I hope the guy gets a chance to make a sequel. Kudos to Karl Urban for agreeing to be in a movie where it doesn't matter that it's Karl Urban. If you hadn't told me it was him, I'd never have known.

I have still not re-visited There Will Be Blood after all these years.

This movie will not age in the least in a very, very long time.

Dredd - Didn't see this one coming. It's dumb. It's silly. It's really violent. It's low budget. It has (mostly) bad special effects. And it doesn't make much sense. In other words, it's exactly the sort of movie it should be.

I enjoyed every minute of it in the same way I enjoyed Robocop as a kid, and to a lesser extent, Equilibrium. I hope the guy gets a chance to make a sequel. Kudos to Karl Urban for agreeing to be in a movie where it doesn't matter that it's Karl Urban. If you hadn't told me it was him, I'd never have known.

My sentiments exactly.