the little hours - at first it seems like its lame gimmick (horny and bratty medieval nuns and other actors (trash) talk in a very much contemporary lingo of indie sundance dramedies) is all it's got going for. but quickly enough it becomes very endearing, sweet, light and just funny. it doesn't generate a lot of flols and doesn't let the funny go over the top and overshadow everything, but it constantly makes you chuckle. it feels like this internal restrain and the eye and love for small humor is what sets it apart from typical contemporary indie comedies. the score is very much rooted in medieval times and is just gorgeous, and so are the locations, production design and cinematography. it's a very peculiar contrast to the contemporary speak. the cast is all really good and colorful (alison brie more than others) with the exceptions of that actress with a small face that goes a bit over the top. the film sags towards the end but overall i thought was really good and fresh.

recently i've been noticing that this 60-70 metacritic score range is quite interesting, i think this is where you find those slightly off kilter and original films that are made with care but don't get the normie critics approval or attention.

Edited by eugene

Child's Play

Pleasantly surprised! Either my standards are dropping given all the recent B-movie madness i've been working through or this is actually executed really well...or its just better than some of it's competitors.

Will watch more in series/10

Edited by TRiP

Child's Play

Pleasantly surprised! Either my standards are dropping given all the recent B-movie madness i've been working through or this is actually executed really well...or its just better than some of it's competitors.

Will watch more in series/10

Haven't seen that in years, but I do know that it traumatized me to the point of demanding that I sleep on either a couch or a bed when I stayed at friends' houses as a kid. I thought if I slept on or near the floor then I would be the first to die. 

Colossal - or the dangers of the nice guy being friendzoned. It's hard to feel sympathy for those that haven't evacuated Seoul but otherwise I liked it. Anne Hathaway runs exactly like Wendy from The Shining.

^ they overplayed the hurr metal is hardcore angle at times, should've just presented it naturally without framing it for normies. other than that I liked it.

Devil's Candy, a bit overrated but fun. Some of the character decisions were awful, especially towards the end.

I'm approaching this one with caution, The Loved Ones get decent reviews but I thought it was pretty bad.

The Fall with Craig Sheffer.

Nightbreed dude has turned into an ex lawyer now writer living in Budapest. Jurgen Prochnow plays the businessman communist now capitalist Mr big bucks. Budapest looks like an eastern european 1990s bohemian paradise, tall ceilings and huge open windows in city centre lofts.

Sheffer resembles J C Denton off Deus Ex so very entertaining.

Bluetintedspex/10

His reviews are masterful. The digressions, the spelling errors, the endless run on sentences and arbitrary capitalization, the made up stories about leatherface coming to his birthday party or being at every premier of every movie that’s been released in the last fifty years. Just a kaleidoscope of bullshit.

Watched Kong last night, it wasn't half bad. I think it should've pushed a little more towards the cheese/monster movie side of itself that it was very aware of...it was mostly a fun romp but it just strayed a little too much to the serious. They had a lot of fun with the visuals/cinematography/whatever, but it didn't seem like the actors or writers were having much fun.. It looked good all around though. Story was okay for what it was, but it suffered from trying to set up sequels/universe bullshit.

I just watched 'A Ghost Story'.

Hands-down the best film I've seen all year.

Yeah, it was solid.

right, i want to hav this. casey affleck is very likable. loved him in that furnace thing.. watched it again recently. 

he has done well in so many things.. 

Saw most of Catch .44 last night, it was pretty shit. It was trying way, way, way too hard to be Pulp Fiction, but without any of the charm or uniqueness or fun or good. 3 Bruce Willis Soul Patches out of 10

Also there's this trailer for Annihilation which looks fucking great  to me. I was a fan of the books when they came out a few years ago, good weird fiction, and it looks like the movie is going to follow the weirdness unabashedly, which is very surprising but has me very hopeful. Not sure it deserves its own thread so I'll just post it here for now.

This looks really cool, anyone else interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8xcLdOjX6w

Clint Mansell composing too.

Seems such a great idea for a film, can't say how the story will be but I'm pretty excited to see this. Looks like it's out in a few weeks.