Yeah, that trailer stood out as absolutely terrible. I liked JW, just took it for what it was, but the new one looks like straight trash. The plot should've been killed the first time it was was thought of.

The Dark Backward

Very odd, and at times grotesque, black kafkaesque comedy flick - would be a waste of time had it not been for the incredibly hilarious performace from Bill Paxton. Surpizingly large cast of 'big' names given the independant nature of it. Hard to truly recommend it, but if you're a fan of Paxton then definatley check it out, he elevates it to greatness.

8.jpg

The Dark Backward

Very odd, and at times grotesque, black kafkaesque comedy flick - would be a waste of time had it not been for the incredibly hilarious performace from Bill Paxton. Surpizingly large cast of 'big' names given the independant nature of it. Hard to truly recommend it, but if you're a fan of Paxton then definatley check it out, he elevates it to greatness.

Oh man, that's one of my faves. 

Watched It Comes At Night last night. I wanted to like it more than I did. The characters were engaging and real, I cared about them and shit. But what the fuck, basically nothing happens. 

The Cell (2000) directed by Tarsem Singh.

A psychologist delves into the mind of a comatose serial killer in order to find the location of his last victim whilst she's still alive, starring Jennifer Lopez, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Vince Vaughn.

I first came across Singh's visually stunning The Fall (2006) via Roger Ebert's review and was very impressed some years back, and so recently pleasantly stumbled upon Singh's directorial debut on Amazon.

An all-around cruder film than the later The Fall, (and does not adhere to the latter's zero-CGI policy), however the visual flair with regards to costume (designs by Eiko Ishioka), cinematography etc. is certainly there, albeit fewer and further between, but for a directorial debut outing, the film is very laudable.

Screenshots:

1awxrfz.jpg
2azlpoi.jpg
3a07rbu.jpg

4axkor2.jpg

5aprp6w.jpg

6ay2rz8.jpg

It's a pile of shit, he's good at ripping off the greatest hits of visual arts for visual impact, I'll give him that.

Watched Wonder Woman, I thought this was supposed to be not terrible? Well, it was. Terrible, that is.

Edited by Gocab

MOVIES

• Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - Loved this gothic musical movie for one reason or another. Maybe the general atmosphere. 

• True Grit (2010) - A know-it-all teener asks cowboy-marshal Jeff Bridges to track down a criminal. Loved the grittiness. I'd say: watch this. 

• Crazy Heart (2009) - Okay movie about country musician Jeff Bridges making some drama. Good though. 

• Dirty Harry (1971) - Good movie in which good old cynical inspector Clint Eastwood tracks down a crazy criminal. Classic. 

• Sorcerer (1977) - Long movie set in a filthy town in the South American jungle. "Y'all gotta blow up that fire all the way on the other side of the jungle, good luck, have fun." It's still okay though. But, why the flip-flop would you name this movie Sorcerer?

• Straight Outta Compton (2015) - Hoped that it had some more music. Or that it was more like a docu. Lots of drama and cursing. But, still okay. 

• Breaking the Waves (1996) - Slow dramatic harsh movie about a simple-minded girl on a small backwards isolated society. Intriguing movie. 

• Blue Velvet (1986) - Don't play for detective. For those who like Lynch. 

• Thelma & Louise (1991) - Amusing good movie about two girls just wanne have fu-u-un. They're criminals though. 

• Total Recall (1990) - A cult classic I don't like at all. Also, a woman with 3 tiddies. 4 tiddies would have been better though. 

• Escape from New York (1981) - Nope. Felt a bit like I was playing a shiitty version of System Shock or Metal Gear Solid. 

• Rescue Dawn (2006) - I don't know why I didn't like this. The props, characters, and the escape just didn't feel right or true to me.  

• The Hateful Eight (2015) - Must be one of Tarantino's worst movies. Felt more like an RPG where you go check every NPC for their story. Disappointing. 

• Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) - Cool premise. Then it falls in the big old good-vs-evil battle-pit of mediocrity and shiite. Sigh. Just watch Planet of the Apes (1968) and be done with it. It's still the best and original one in my opinion. 

• Hugo (2011) - One of the worst family movies I've ever seen. The 2 kids acting is beyond horrendous. 

• Lincoln (2012) - Not my cup of tea. The waterfall of terms I never heard of goes well beyond me. I found the dialogue not to be very believable actually. Are all their motivations historically correct? Did people speak this way, even within confines of the immediate family? Does this movie revise history for modern day people? Very underwhelming for all of its spectacular reviews. 

• American Gangster (2007) - Sorry, didn't like it. Found it very artificial. Nope. 

• Glory (1989) - Questionable heroic american movie. This is supposed to be one of the best Civil War movies? I felt nothing, at all. He wanted to fight for his country. So brave. Also, Matthew Broderick acting is atrocious, again. 

• Spartacus (1960) - A classic from the old days. Okay. Kubrick has better movies though. 

COMEDY MOVIES

I'm not really into Comedy movies, but there were a lot left to see on my watch-list, so...

• Wayne's World (1992) - Silly comedy. Some small laughs, but otherwise rather meh. (saw it because of a reference in Workaholics, and cause it's kind of a cult classic)

• Dark Shadows (2012) - Meh. A rather empty comedy-horror. Also one crazy over-the-top acrobatic love-making scene. 

• Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985) - A shiitty family-comedy movie with one of the most appalling characters ever set on screen. 
 • 500 Days of Summer (2009) - A shiitty awkward teenager romance-comedy movie. I puked a bit, inside my mouth. I didn't believe in true love before I fell in true love. Don't watch this. 

• Juno (2007) - One of the most overrated comedy movies. These teenagers have some major mental issues. Haha. I wish I could punch her in the head. I'll cry myself to sleep now. 

• Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) - A teen comedy movie that didn't age well. This guy is so edgy... Utter shiitte. Matthew Broderick acting is atrocious. 

HORROR MOVIES

I'm not really into Horror movies, but my gf like watching / not watching them, so... 

• Silent Hill (2006) - Somewhat underrated horror video game movie adaption in my opinion. Mostly gets horrible reviews. Enjoyed it. Most video game movie adaption are utter shiite, so... just okay. 

• Orphan (2009) - Okay horror movie that builds up tension nicely. 

• The Woman in Black (2012) -  Okay horror movie with Harry Potter. Not very good actually. Now that I think about it: It was shiite. 

• The Frighteners (1996) - Some sort of comedy-horror movie with Michael J Fox. Okay I guess. 

• The Conjuring 2 (2016) - It's a haunted house possessing a girl, or is it?... Okay. 

• Ringu (1998) - Classic. Original is still the best. 

• The Haunting In Connecticut (2009) - Meh. Spoiler: Always check the walls before you buy a house. 

• The Awakening (2011) - This must be one of the shittiest movies on this list. Also, the acting is atrocious. Puke. 

MOVIES 2017

Just want to keep up with recent cinema and culture. 

• Get Out (2017) - Mediocre thriller. You know everything what's gonna happen 15 minutes in. Dumb story, no scares, no depth. 

• Okja (2017) - Utter shiite adventure-drama. Had to turn this off 30 minutes in. Bad acting, bad creature-cgi, dumb premise. Might become cute later on. Will have to complete this later on to confirm this or not. 

• For the movie-year 2017 I still have to see: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017), Baby Driver (2017), Wonder Woman (2017), Logan (2017), Spider-Man Homecoming (2017), Thor Ragnarok (2017), Justice League (2017), Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017), Alien Covenant (2017), Ghost in the Shell (2017), Episode VIII The Last Jedi (2017), It (2017)...

However I'm not looking forward watching any of these, though. Lol. Most of these seem rather shallow / mindless / just action. 

• Dunkirk (2017) - Seems to be a movie I might like, and it has some amazing reviews.

Looking forward to watching that one. 

• Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - Liked this verrry much.

Would have loved to have seen this movie more than once in the cinema, but they no longer play it here.

Highly recommended. 

Any recommendations / absolute must-sees for 2017?

DOCUMENTARIES

• Begin Japanology (2007) - Watching this series right now. Very interesting series if you like Japanese / Asian culture. 

It's also on YouTube, but sometimes the sound is muted cause of copyright reasons. 

It talks mostly about the positive stuff, but you can learn a lot from this series, including a brief history for each topic. 

• I'm also checking out other documentaries about Japan: Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011), The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (2013), The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom (2011), Sans Soleil (1983), Japan A Story of Love and Hate (2008), Children Full of Life (2003), Aokigahara Suicide Forest (2010), The Great Happiness Space (2006), The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On (1987),...

My gf studied Japanology, so now I can relate to most things she learned about Japan / East-Asia.

Learning the Japanese language is something for another lifetime though.

• Marley (2012) - Very good docu about the one and only Bob Marley. 

• The Thin Blue Line (1988) - Very good docu about a wrong conviction. Makes you question some authorities. 

• Hearts of Darkness A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) - Very good making-of Apocalypse Now (1979). Madness. Must-see! 

• Earthlings (2005) - Very good gritty docu about our meat-industry and apathy towards animals. Made me eat less meat and animal-products. Made me more aware and caring. Must-see! 

• An Inconvenient Truth (2006) - Okay, but may be dated. The contemporary climate change is more about its unpredictability and the speed at which it occurs, being a problem for both many life-forms as well as many human beings, and their hopefully mutual beneficial coexistence. So, there might be better more accurate scientific documentaries on this topic. Still good though. Ignore the haters in Imdb. 

• Enron The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) - Okay docu about a corrupt corporation. Makes you think how many more people and corporation abuse the system. 

• The Pixar Story (2007) - Okay docu about Pixar CGI Animation studios, albeit a bit biased. Still interesting history though. 

• Grizzly Man (2005) - Okay docu about someone fed up with society who wanted to live in nature among wild bears. Sadly, it doesn't end well for him. 

• Capturing the Friedmans (2003) - Okay docu about the disbelief and lies of a family of which the father is charged with shocking crimes. 

• Citizenfour (2014) - Okay docu about Edward Snowden. A hero for some, a traitor for others. 

• Harlan County U.S.A. (1976) - Okay docu about miners who live and work in horrible circumstances and their hardship to be able to strike. 

• Indie Game The Movie (2012) - Awkward docu about video games. Still has some interesting things to tell about indie game development. But yeah, I dunno. I'd say, watch the Double Fine docu series on YouTube instead. 

• What Happened, Miss Simone (2015) - Awkward docu about a Soul-Singer-Pianist. Somewhat compelling and dark. Strange to do a docu this way. More about her failure. 

SERIES

• Westworld (2016) (re-watch) - Awesome! 

• Workaholics (2011) - Okay, for some small chuckles before going to bed. 

• Arrested Development (2003) - Okay, had some good laughs. 

• Boardwalk Empire (2010) - Interesting. Every character has a grey ethical/moral zone. (mostly egoistic reasons though)

• Freaks and Geeks (1999) (re-watch) - Awesome! I could re-watch this over and over. 

ANIME & CARTOONS

• Toy Story (1995) - Awesome! Toy Story 2 (1999) - Utter shiite. Toy Story 3 (2010) - Okay, but the first one is still the best by faaar. 

• South Park (1997) - Saw the most recent seasons. Okay, but seems to have lost something over the years... Dunno. 

• My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic (2010) - Utter shiite. I'm missing something I guess. 
 • Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime Movie Series) (2012) - Very cool concepts and original visuals. Recommended! 

• Wallace & Gromit (1989) - Okay, some laughs. Well-made puppet stop-motion animation. Might be a bit dated. 

Edited by MaartenVC

• The Hateful Eight (2015) - Must be one of Tarantino's worst movies. Felt more like an RPG where you go check every NPC for their story. Disappointing.

lol
lol
lol

dunkirk - pretty much the opposite of what i expected. i expected to be overwhelmed and engaged viscerally by nazis pounding the poop out of british soldiers, guts and limbs flying everywhere, screams of agony, bloodied ocean, panic, dread and hopelessness on a massive scale. but what it is, is an aesthetically pleasing, pg-13ed, detached, sterile and an elegant war portrayal for vimeo subscribers. it felt weirdly small scale, just a few rows of troops waiting to be evacuated on a desolate shore, 5-6 planes and a bunch of boats. at no point it felt like 400k people are involved in this thing. this idea to follow the proceedings at sea, land and air at different but converging timelines really didn't do anything to me, it was a pointless exercise that prevented from developing any of the three stories properly. for all its pretense to do something artful and original out of war film it snapped into hollywood cliches way too often. pointless and blatant exposition where people explain the things every mid schooler was taught about, hardy tom saving the day at the most crucial moment, all those last second rescues, a bomber diving into the oil spill for the big boom-boom. the attempts at artfulness and (overly forceful) understatement seem out of place when this stuff allowed to take place. some pretty shots, and again, a nice work from zimbler is all i took from it. i don't get what nolan intended with it, an anti-hollywood ode to the british war spirit, this reserved bravery and steadfastness or something? well it didn't work, fuck great britain.

Edited by eugene